People are reporting that Huawei phones are automatically deleting videos of protests in China without notifying owners

Captain Ninja Kid

Summary

As reported on twitter by Singaporean journalist Melissa Chen, Huawei devices have reportedly begun removing videos of the recent protests in China from users phones. While it is not currently known whether the data was locally stored on the user's device or in the cloud, this kind of censorship appears to be a new way for governments to silence their people.

My thoughts

It is staggering to see how little control users have over their own data and the reach to which surveillance has already been baked into existing technology. My fear is that this kind of automatic censoring could find its way into other devices as users grow more and more willing to surrender ownership of their own data.

Sources

https://twitter.com/msmelchen/status/1597807914395500545

Do we actually have any evidence of this, other than one edited video from one phone showing some photos being corrupted?

This story is setting off some alarm clocks for me.

If they were deleting the pictures, why would they leave the actual file on the phone and just delete some data in the picture, leaving them visible in the gallery? If I were programming this feature, I would actually make the entire file get deleted, not just part of it. 

I heard about this story a few days ago and so far I have not seen any evidence except this one video. You'd assume that at least one more person would have experienced this and posted evidence of it. 

I am also wondering how the phone would know which photos to delete.

I am not saying that it isn't happening, but so far I have not seen enough evidence to believe that it is happening. Plus the alarm bells such as the one I mentioned above actually makes me lean slightly towards the "this is not true" side. At least for now.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. But I'm not sure how it would work locally, as the videos would need to be scrubbed and compared against a database to see what it contains. Were the videos uploaded to some cloud service ?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

55 minutes ago, Caroline said:

You give up on your privacy the moment you buy a smartphone, Huawei or not.

It's simply not written on the box.

I dunno, Huawei to be fair is pretty open they collect your data in the privacy policy, that's kinda like on the box right. 😄

CPU: Ryzen 5900x | GPU: RTX 3090 FE | MB: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: 32gb Ballistix | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Sythe Fuma 2 | Case: Phanteks P600s | Storage: 2TB WD Black SN 750 & 1TB Sabrent Rocket | OS: Windows 11 Pro & Linux Mint

This story sounds like it comes from someone who thinks everyone in China has a Huawei.  

We've already seen tons of videos about the controls and protests so I highly doubt a big conspiracy.  

-= Thread Locked =-

The moderation team has reviewed this and decided to keep it locked.

While some topics may overlap between technology and politics, this topic is deeply based on ongoing political protests and the related concerns of those protests. It would not be possible to separate that from any potential technology related discussion and for that reason it isn't appropriate for this forum.

- @Spotty

Edited by Spotty

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER