RTX 2080 Super blackscreen + 100% fan when sustained load

ethanrushbrook
Go to solution Solved by GuiltySpark_,

Given you've already done the basics, I think its safe to say that card is dead. That's a pretty common failure mode, with the screen going black and the fans ramping to 100%. 

Just to be clear though the PC you tested was using your power supply with a 3090Ti? 

I've got a 2080 Super here that I've used since new and I believe its dead. I was curious to see if anyone knows more and if there is anything that maybe could be done about it.

Its a Gigabyte Windforce card. Until recently it had absolutely no issues when suddenly it started doing this.

What happens:

• PC boots fine
  • I fire up a game/GPU stress test (usually Kombustor)
  • Runs fine for about 2 minutes
  • Black screen and GPU fans go to 100%
  • PC is hung and caps lock doesn't toggle

This GPU hasn't been subjected to any sort of crazy intensive loads or been mined with, its been used for occasional games. I've tried using another PC that usually has an RTX 3090Ti in it so I know there are no issues with the power supply which was my first thought but the exact same thing happens. 

I have tried replacing the thermal pads/paste and the temps look good now (highs of 67C before it dies).

Anyone have any ideas? I want to try save this thing from becoming e-waste :(

Thanks!

Given you've already done the basics, I think its safe to say that card is dead. That's a pretty common failure mode, with the screen going black and the fans ramping to 100%. 

Just to be clear though the PC you tested was using your power supply with a 3090Ti? 

8 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Yeah. I tried 2 PCs - the one its usually in prior to death and my main rig which runs a 3090Ti and has a known-good setup. i.e. only the GPU could be the problem and the same thing happened. One PC has a 750W PSU and the other a 1200W PSU.