Psu exploded because of Rgb fans.

remiah
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Everyone's wrong in this post.

The power supply probably failed due to old age, overheating, components inside going outside their specifications.

It's an outdated design inside, with low efficiency (~75-80% efficient) so at high-ish power consumption it runs hot which can affect internal components if the fan isn't pumping air through it.

The power supply can also supply only 360 watts on 12v output, which is used to power components like cpu and gpu.

The video card consumes up around 120 watts, the 5600x can go up  to 60-80 watts, and each fan consumes maybe 2-3 watts   and the rest is powered from the 5v and 3.3v part of the power supply ... around 2-3w for each stick of 8 GB , 1-2w for each ssd when idle or reading, maybe 5-10w when writing lots of data.

You don't need a 750w power supply, you don't even need a 650w power supply... but the price differences between a 500w and a 600w psu are usually very small.

I'm really late for work so I have to cut this short...

I swapped my old A6 bundled with mobo and ram to a pc case with 4x 120 rgb fans, i was playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider with ultra-settings the night before the psu exploded the next morning. I told the former owner of the situation, and he went to check the pc, he found out that I'm using a 400-watt psu (Cooler Master Elite 400w) and it's likely the reason it overloaded he said. I didn't have any problem with my old case except that i need an updated case for cable management and fan placement.

The 4x 120 Rgb fans are daisy chained to a single molex connector.

This is my rig:

R5 5600x

Rx 5500XT

8Gb DDR4 ram

1 nvme drive

2x 2.5 hdd

Cpu cooler 120 rgb gammaxx gte v2

My question is: Did the rgb fans cause the explosion, or the psu not having enough power cause itself to die?

I just bought via online a Seasonic S12III 650w bronze plus psu I hope it performs well. I was going for the Gold plus model but my budget won't allow me.

7 minutes ago, remiah said:

I swapped my old A6 bundled with mobo and ram to a pc case with 4x 120 rgb fans, i was playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider with ultra-settings the night before the psu exploded the next morning. I told the former owner of the situation, and he went to check the pc, he found out that I'm using a 400-watt psu (Cooler Master Elite 400w) and it's likely the reason it overloaded he said. I didn't have any problem with my old case except that i need an updated case for cable management and fan placement.

This is my rig:

R5 5600x

Rx 5500XT

8Gb DDR4 ram

1 nvme drive

2x 2.5 hdd

My question is: Did the rgb fans cause the explosion, or the psu not having enough power cause itself to die?

I just bought via online a Seasonic S12III 650w bronze plus psu I hope it performs well. I was going for the Gold plus model but my budget won't allow me.

The s12III is not a good unit, even for low draw systems. 

3 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

The s12III is not a good unit, even for low draw systems. 

Oh man. That's depressing.

650Watt also low for the system you listed. RMA it, say it doesn't fit your case.

You need a 750W from a good company. Your CPU & GPU will be using most of that power (and MB).

On the 400W nice blowout... yeah load is too much without the fans.

27 minutes ago, remiah said:

This is my rig:

R5 5600x

Rx 5500XT

8Gb DDR4 ram

1 nvme drive

2x 2.5 hdd

Nah I don't even think power draw was too high for your PSU, you don't need more than 300W, the fans only need 20w tops, it exploded because it was just bad...

Get any 500W+ Corsair PSU and you'd be good

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

The power supply probably failed due to old age, overheating, components inside going outside their specifications.

It's an outdated design inside, with low efficiency (~75-80% efficient) so at high-ish power consumption it runs hot which can affect internal components if the fan isn't pumping air through it.

The power supply can also supply only 360 watts on 12v output, which is used to power components like cpu and gpu.

The video card consumes up around 120 watts, the 5600x can go up  to 60-80 watts, and each fan consumes maybe 2-3 watts   and the rest is powered from the 5v and 3.3v part of the power supply ... around 2-3w for each stick of 8 GB , 1-2w for each ssd when idle or reading, maybe 5-10w when writing lots of data.

You don't need a 750w power supply, you don't even need a 650w power supply... but the price differences between a 500w and a 600w psu are usually very small.

4 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Nah I don't even think power draw was too high for your PSU, you don't need more than 300W, the fans only need 20w tops, it exploded because it was just bad...

Get any 500W+ Corsair PSU and you'd be good

I already purchased the 80plus bronze 650w Seasonic though. Now my main concern if the eps cable's long enough to reach the motherboard. Thanks man. 

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yep, everyone wrong but you... aha, how many years did you give people bad advice ?

4 minutes ago, Cyberat said:

Yep, everyone wrong but you... aha, how many years did you give people bad advice ?

Nah I agree with him, and you're unnecessarily rude man

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

50 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Thank u for the well thought out comment. I was about to purchase a 750w gold plus psu but the price is high, also judging here by several psu calculators i've tried, the system needs 550w-600w. Yeah that Cooler Master suck. But it was doing okay before I transferred all the components to another case (was only using 1x 80mm intake 1x80mm exhaust, 1x 120mm fan).

4 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Hey man, heads up for future posts:

Be careful how you use the word "everyone

The S12III is still not a good PSU.

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

Oh man. If I've seen this before I ordered. [facepalm facepalm]

11 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Hey man, heads up for future posts:

Be careful how you use the word "everyone

to be fair to him, he's not wrong.

We are all trying to help one another. I don't believe there is anything wrong with telling somebody they are wrong/ill-informed.

Somebodies "advice" could be bad for the help seeker.

EDIT: maybe it could be adressed in a more friendly manner.

My Rig: CPU : 10700K | RAM : Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz c16 32G (4x8) | CPU cooler : NHD15 | GPU : ASUS ProArt 4070 | PSU : Corsair RM850 (black label) | CASE : Corsair 5000D Airflow | Storage : Samsung 970 evo 1TB, WD Black 1TB, Samsung evo 850 Sata SSD | Casefans : Lian Li Unifan SL120 7X|

MOUSE : G Pro Wireless X superlight | Keyboard : Keychron C1- Pro-H1 Gateron Milky Reds

6 minutes ago, remiah said:

Oh man. If I've seen this before I ordered. [facepalm facepalm]

There's an older version here in the LTT forum under Power supplies, not the most up to date but still relevant for buying guidance 🙂

The Seasonic S12III  is decent.  It's not great, but it's not bad.  It's MUCH better than Cooler Master Elite you had, and other cheap power supplies out there.

It's just not good value for the money, you can get power supplies much better designed for the same price...

You don't have to be too worried about, for the hardware you have it's more than adequate. 

2 minutes ago, Alinz said:

EDIT: maybe it could be adressed in a more friendly manner.

Precisely. The tone that came across was derisive. 

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

The Seasonic S12III  is decent.  It's not great, but it's not bad.  It's MUCH better than Cooler Master Elite you had, and other cheap power supplies out there.

It's just not good value for the money, you can get power supplies much better designed for the same price...

You don't have to be too worried about, for the hardware you have it's more than adequate. 

Fair.

poor quality is significantly better than dangerous. At least it isn't a diablotek

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Thank u as someone who has limited budget, I appreciate this. I'm going crazy overthinking right now, too many factors to consider. 

6 minutes ago, remiah said:

Thank u as someone who has limited budget, I appreciate this. I'm going crazy overthinking right now, too many factors to consider. 

The S12III won't kill your components, but it isn't really a seasonic PSU, it's a low tier outsourced unit. It's not a great option, but it isn't necessarily dangerous.

What region are you buying in? A second hand PSU may be something you could get a better unit at about the same price.

1 minute ago, BiotechBen said:

The S12III won't kill your components, but it isn't really a seasonic PSU, it's a low tier outsourced unit. It's not a great option, but it isn't necessarily dangerous.

What region are you buying in? A second hand PSU may be something you could get a better unit at about the same price.

I see.I think I developed a ptsd since the cooler master exploded, the anxiety i have right with buying a new one.

I bought from an online shop in Manila, Philippines. I don't know a place here for 2nd hand PSUs.

9 minutes ago, remiah said:

I see.I think I developed a ptsd since the cooler master exploded, the anxiety i have right with buying a new one.

I bought from an online shop in Manila, Philippines. I don't know a place here for 2nd hand PSUs.

Do you have something like Facebook marketplace? My local knowledge of the Philippines is limited. 

8 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Do you have something like Facebook marketplace? My local knowledge of the Philippines is limited. 

Yes, it's where i swapped my a6 unit for the case. Looking at the facebook marketplace now, seems those 2nd hand PSUs are mostly low tier and are far from where I live. 

36 minutes ago, remiah said:

Yeah the s12iii is basically a s12ii which is a design from 2012 and lacks features and protections.

Itll work just dont expect too much extra from it. Also try not to use s0 sleep on it if you have intel it crashes during wakeup sometimes due to the psu.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah the s12iii is basically a s12ii which is a design from 2012 and lacks features and protections.

Itll work just dont expect too much extra from it. Also try not to use s0 sleep on it if you have intel it crashes during wakeup sometimes due to the psu.

What 2012? I'm gonna faint. I mostly game on high settings 1080p.

Just now, remiah said:

What 2012? I'm gonna faint. I mostly game on high settings 1080p.

If you are really concerned a 500w or up A or B tier unit will do the job.