Strange Driver

ahmed.shazly
Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,
1 hour ago, ahmed.shazly said:

I literally uninstalled it now and when I restarted and before installing the recommended driver, this thing installed itself again. Tried everything even disabling automatic driver installation... etc. 馃槨

I didn't uninstall the driver first. I just downloaded the Auto Detect and Install for Windows 10/11 from AMD's website, and ran that. I told it to "Downgrade" to the Recommended version. After that, so far, I've been good.

So I have an MSI RX 580 8gb. and this strange driver "22.20.27.07" out of nowhere installs itself, Not to mention that this driver installed itself when I had R9 290 and RX 480. I did reinstalled windows couple of times during the period of owning the mentioned cards, set auto updating on windows and Amd software to off. What drives me crazy is that driver is not on AMD Website anywhere and I can't access AMD Software cuz of it. as for performance I can't tell a difference but it gets on my nerves. Any ideas?

16702846684323342311409676691684.jpg

I believe it's Windows Update that's doing it. This happened on my secondary system with an RX 580 4GB and it actually caused it to crash (the system is being used right now to run Folding@Home and I think the driver update while that was running caused the issue.) After that, the AMD software no longer worked, and I had to reinstall it. When I did that, it said that installing the latest Recommended driver was a "Downgrade."

So I think Windows Update has a "newer" version of the driver than the Recommended one, or at least it thinks it does, and the result is that it is overwriting the installed one. That's been my theory, anyway. Luckily, it hasn't repeated this process after it happened the first time.

I literally uninstalled it now and when I restarted and before installing the recommended driver, this thing installed itself again. Tried everything even disabling automatic driver installation... etc. 馃槨

1 hour ago, ahmed.shazly said:

I didn't uninstall the driver first. I just downloaded the Auto Detect and Install for Windows 10/11 from AMD's website, and ran that. I told it to "Downgrade" to the Recommended version. After that, so far, I've been good.

On 12/6/2022 at 4:02 AM, YoungBlade said:

I did as you did and it installed the optional driver, I stick to the recommended and I let it slide just to see if that driver will come back, luckily it said that the optional is considered as an "update" from that weird driver rather than the "downgrade" that showed when ever I tried to install the recommended 22.5.1, that driver never came back since I updated. Thank you from your help!鉂わ笍