Questions about what amount storage is good

g335

Hello 

I have a 7950x system which is for gaming and productivity work, 3D design, 3D rendering, movie editing, etc.

I have a Asus Strix Gaming B650E-E mb with 2 gen 5 NVME slots and 2 gen 4 NVME slots.

I bought 1 1TB 980 Pro NVME drive which is in a lot 1 of the Gen 5 slots.

I also have 1 500GB 970 Evo Plus NVME drive. Haven’t installed it.

I am planning on using the 980 Pro for O S and productivity apps. 

For a NVME for only games, how large should I get?  I play games like Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid, Skyrim, Mine Craft with mod packs, GTA V, etc. 

Will the 970 EVO Plus be much slower than the 980 Pro?

15 minutes ago, g335 said:

Hello 

I have a 7950x system which is for gaming and productivity work, 3D design, 3D rendering, movie editing, etc.

I have a Asus Strix Gaming B650E-E mb with 2 gen 5 NVME slots and 2 gen 4 NVME slots.

For a NVME for only games, how large should I get?  I play games like Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid, Skyrim, Mine Craft with mod packs, GTA V, etc. 

Games will run just fine on SATA based SSDs, there is little to no difference in games with NVME drives. The benefit is in productivity tasks such as video rendering, virtualization, querying large datasets etc.

The size depends on how much you actually need. No one can answer that one for you. 1TB SSDs are pretty good in price right now. 2TB are still a bit overpriced. Older and especially smaller games (in file size) will work just fine on a regular HDD as well. You may want to add one for storage later on if you have larger project folders that you do not need all the time. 

24 minutes ago, g335 said:

Hello 

With such a beefy PC, you could get a 2TB Gen4 drive (I recommend SN850X) and store whatever you need for quite some time

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

When it comes to gaming you wouldn't see much difference between the slowest DRAM-less SATA drive and a top-of-the-line NVMe drive for game loading. We're talking about a couple of seconds between the two when it comes to game loading times. So if you wanted a lot of games storage, you can get a 2TB SATA SSD for under $100 right now, and barring a few edge cases, you wouldn't be able to tell a difference in a blind test.

So no, there will be no difference in performance between a 970 Evo Plus and a 980 Pro when it comes to gaming.

You're unlikely to notice any difference between a bog-standard SATA SSD and a cutting edge NVME drive if you're running games of it. That being said, given the relative price parity of NVME and SATA drives these days, it would be silly not to grab a 2TB NVME drive when those can be had for 150 USD a pop.

the ultimate question here is how much storage do you think you need? Do you want all your games to be on your drive at the same time? 2TB is a no-brainer price-wise, but frankly a 500GB unit is also fine if you're just going to be installing them games you've explicitely listed,

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Depends, but I usually use HDD for my game drive, since they can get quite large (Genshin Impact hog almost 33GB, and will only hog more as the game keeps updating).

But if you want to go to SSD, well, depends on how big your game library is. My game library is obviously very large (close to 1.6TB) so I use a 1TB SATA SSD to store the game I frequently play and get a HDD to store the rest of the game. 2TB SSD, even if it is the cheap 2.5 inch SATA type, are still expensive for me.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.