Onkyo RZ50 Receiver Nightmare

vash2695

So I bought an RZ50 a year ago, received in January, and since about two months in it has output a loud static noise from the center channel intermittently. I sent it out to a service center in March and got it back in April but the issue was still occurring as soon as it was powered on. Since it was intermittent, I lived with it for another couple of months but got fed up with it and sent it out again in July. The 2nd service center apparently found an issue with the center channel and replaced various components on the board to correct it. I got the receiver back in September but had by then purchased a different receiver because I didn't know when the RZ50 would come back, so I didn't test the RZ50 until about a month later. To my dismay, when I tested it again the issue was STILL occurring the moment it was powered on.

It's been at the service center again since the beginning of November and they have been unable to recreate the issue at their location. This means that it may be sent back to me unrepaired with only a month of warranty left.

I have been working in tech for over 12 years and have tested everything that I could possibly think of to attempt to identify the possible cause, including but not limited to:

• Testing with different speakers and speaker wire

• Testing in different physical locations

• Testing the unit on different power sources (wall, surge protector, and a UPS running on battery)

• Testing with no other devices attached

• Reflashing firmware

Additionally, nothing in settings has any impact on the sound, nor does changing inputs. As long as the amplifier for the center channel is active, there is a good chance the sound will occur. I have loads of other audio equipment and nothing else has this issue.

At this point I've purchased a $1400 paperweight. The last time I reached out to Onkyo support I didn't even get a response, and no one on their phone support team can do anything. Is there anyone that can please help me get in touch with someone at Onkyo that can do something? I'm out of options and don't know what else to do.