Steam not working at all

treeroy

Hey, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I've tried on the Steam forums (and Steam support but no response) and haven't had any luck with this.

Basically a couple of weeks ago my Steam stopped working. The first issue was that Steam could not update itself, it just got stuck on the little white "Updating Steam - validating install" popup box. I deleted my Steam library and re-installed it and it took several hours to install. Once it was installed, it would crash any time I tried to use it. E.g. I click on Store and it crashes. Restart it and maybe make it to the store page, or to my library, select one thing and it crashes again and need to restart.

I reinstalled Steam several times and nothing improved. I was on Windows 11 so I uninstalled Windows, wiped everything off my hard drives and installed a fresh Windows 10. Still nothing. Re install Steam and it takes an hour to open, crashes as soon as I press anything. I did manage to get it working (fluke) for 10 minutes yesterday and tried downloading a game. It would download for 2 seconds then download 0 for a minute, then download another few MB then download 0 for another minute.

Any help diagnosing what the issue is, would be a massive help. I think my PC is running fine.

PC specs are:

Win 10 64bit

Ryzen 5600X

16GB RAM

image 1: Right now, I'm on Steam and it crashes when I try to press anything. It's automatically trying to download this game that I tried downloading yesterday; if I leave it alone, the program seems to be running but failing to download.

image 2: I click Settings to try clear my download cache, and it crashes.

steam downloading.pngimage.thumb.png.a027acae6910fc32b26a9b4e0f781ce4.png

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

32 minutes ago, treeroy said:

Hey, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I've tried on the Steam forums (and Steam support but no response) and haven't had any luck with this.

Basically a couple of weeks ago my Steam stopped working. The first issue was that Steam could not update itself, it just got stuck on the little white "Updating Steam - validating install" popup box. I deleted my Steam library and re-installed it and it took several hours to install. Once it was installed, it would crash any time I tried to use it. E.g. I click on Store and it crashes. Restart it and maybe make it to the store page, or to my library, select one thing and it crashes again and need to restart.

I reinstalled Steam several times and nothing improved. I was on Windows 11 so I uninstalled Windows, wiped everything off my hard drives and installed a fresh Windows 10. Still nothing. Re install Steam and it takes an hour to open, crashes as soon as I press anything. I did manage to get it working (fluke) for 10 minutes yesterday and tried downloading a game. It would download for 2 seconds then download 0 for a minute, then download another few MB then download 0 for another minute.

Any help diagnosing what the issue is, would be a massive help. I think my PC is running fine.

PC specs are:

Win 10 64bit

Ryzen 5600X

16GB RAM

image 1: Right now, I'm on Steam and it crashes when I try to press anything. It's automatically trying to download this game that I tried downloading yesterday; if I leave it alone, the program seems to be running but failing to download.

image 2: I click Settings to try clear my download cache, and it crashes.

steam downloading.pngimage.thumb.png.a027acae6910fc32b26a9b4e0f781ce4.png

Have you tried completely reinstalling steam?

3 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Have you tried completely reinstalling steam?

Yes multiple times. Reinstalled it several times before reinstalling Windows, and have reinstalled it several times since then.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

Do you have any av?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv