IPhone broken by IOS 16.1.2

Hey all, thought I would put this out there for any IOS users.

A friend that works at GeekSquad yesterday warned me not to update my IPhone to the newest IOS 16.1.2 software as many people were coming in with broken phones after attempting the update.

Of course, I forgot to disable automatic updates as I was busy at that moment. My phone performed the update automatically last night and when I woke this morning the phone was a brick. The phone appeared not to have power at all and I could not attempt a restore.

I brought my phone into geeksquad this morning to fulfill the limited warranty on my Iphone. While they were submitting my warranty claim, Apple specifically has a symptom report stating "customer awoke to find their device would no longer power on". Apple providing that symptom as a choice says to me that they are aware this is an issue for many users. 

While performing apple's required diagnostics, GeekSquad used a tool called ICC, or integrated current checker, to test whether the phone was outputting any current. My phone could not pass the ICC test meaning it was no longer outputting any power whatsoever.

Please, for all ios users, do not make my same mistake and ensure that you disable automatic updates for the moment. This was an incredibly frustrating experience to wake up to.

The software update on its own would not have caused hardware failure. It was likely a combination of factors that lead to this condition. Not blaming you, but that is what the warranty and iCloud backups are for. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

The software update on its own would not have caused hardware failure. It was likely a combination of factors that lead to this condition. Not blaming you, but that is what the warranty and iCloud backups are for. 

I agree and understand that, I am just unsure what combination of factors would cause something like this during update. It seems to be an issue with a large amount of devices performing the update, of course there are others who have updated without issue.

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

The software update on its own would not have caused hardware failure.

it could have had a firmware update bundled with it that could indeed brick a phone. All it would need is a reflash of the affected part to fix, but a borked firmware could certainly cause the symptoms listed.

22 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

You wouldn't be facing this issue if you used an iPhone instead

My friend... the problem is WITH my iPhone... 

I updated my iPhone, my wife's, and my kids iPads and it took the update just fine. Been using iPhones for 10 years and have not encountered what you have described.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

I updated my iPhone, my wife's, and my kids iPads and it took the update just fine. Been using iPhones for 10 years and have not encountered what you have described.

I also have had family members complete the update without issue but myself and 2 others in my family who had their device bricked after the update. I am unsure what the contributing factors at play concerning this issue could be, I was just trying to put it out there because of my personal experience.

I should also mention that I have been using ios devices for 10 years and much prefer iPhone to androids, just had an unfortunate encounter.