Nvidia driver updates break the brightness setting of my laptop screen (gets locked at 100% brightness).

I cannot install a driver version newer than 512.72 on my laptop; if I do it, for some reason my laptop's brightness defaults to max and wont change no matter what. I installed version 527.37 and the problem persists. It just started happening out of the blue when I updated my drivers a little while back. Ever since then, I cannot update above 512.72 or the brightness problem comes back. I have reset and reformatted my laptop a few times but it hasn't helped.

I can't seem to figure out what's causing this issue. Is anyone else having this problem?

I have a Dell G15 5515 (Ryzen 7 5800H, RTX 3060).

31 minutes ago, Poppler32 said:
I cannot install a driver version newer than 512.72 on my laptop; if I do it, for some reason my laptop's brightness defaults to max and wont change no matter what. I installed version 527.37 and the problem persists. It just started happening out of the blue when I updated my drivers a little while back. Ever since then, I cannot update above 512.72 or the brightness problem comes back. I have reset and reformatted my laptop a few times but it hasn't helped.

I can't seem to figure out what's causing this issue. Is anyone else having this problem?

I have no fix for you but just use the older driver for now. If the issue is driver related it might get fixed in the future. The 512.72 is from June 2022, so that is plenty new for your old 30 series GPU.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2022 at 9:32 PM, Poppler32 said:

I ha ve the exact same computer with the exact same problem and tis pissing me off

On 12/5/2022 at 2:32 PM, Poppler32 said:

Unfortunately alot of driver updates will break components of a system because the compatibility is just not as good as it should be. Nvidia can test on a lot of systems but some systems just will break for no reason. On this one it is a "contact Nvidia" issue. They do have live chat available and that will be the easiest way to get something like this looked into. 

Did you turn it off and back on again?