Samsung Magician software enables large DRAM cache for SATA SSDs?

viscous_cree

Has anybody else enabled 'RAPID Status' Full Performance mode on their Samsung SATA SSD?  It seems to boost drive speeds by putting a DRAM cache on system RAM.   My benchmarks are showing results that make the SATA SSD faster than some of my NVME drives.   It's not consistently faster than the Gen 4 NVME in the slot closest to the CPU but the SATA is now comfortably faster than the Gen 3 drive in artificial benchmarks and in Samsung's software it benched the SATA drive at over 7000MB/s sequential reads which is a bit mind-boggling

Did some real world file transfers later and the NVME-speed cache seems to last for around 10GB at the very beginning then for 1-3GB chunks later on if you repeat the transfers.  Peak transfer speeds were around 1.2 - 1.6GB per second irl for large ISOs and etc.   Random smaller file transfers were at normal SATA speeds under 600 MB/s, reminds me of the SSHD hybrid drives that were popular for a bit during the 2010s.

Samsung Hi Perf Mode.png

Performance Optimization.png

CrystalDiskMark _boostedSATAvsNVME.png

14 minutes ago, viscous_cree said:

Has anybody else enabled 'RAPID Status' Full Performance mode on their Samsung SATA SSD?  It seems to boost drive speeds by putting a DRAM cache on system RAM.   My benchmarks are showing results that make the SATA SSD faster than some of my NVME drives.   It's not consistently faster than the Gen 4 NVME in the slot closest to the CPU but the SATA is now comfortably faster than the Gen 3 drive in artificial benchmarks and in Samsung's software it benched the SATA drive at over 7000MB/s sequential reads which is a bit mind-boggling

Did some real world file transfers later and the NVME-speed cache seems to last for around 10GB at the very beginning then for 1-3GB chunks later on if you repeat the transfers.  Peak transfer speeds were around 1.2 - 1.6GB per second irl for large ISOs and etc.   Random smaller file transfers were at normal SATA speeds under 600 MB/s, reminds me of the SSHD hybrid drives that were popular for a bit during the 2010s.

It really isn't making the SSD any faster, it's just temporarily storing data in a RAMdisk to be later put on the SSD. Works well in some applications, does nothing for others.

9 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

It really isn't making the SSD any faster, it's just temporarily storing data in a RAMdisk to be later put on the SSD. Works well in some applications, does nothing for others.

It basically made an nvme drive. Long term writes on nvme storage rarelt stays higher than the cap of sata 3 speeds unless you have an extremely expensive driver with tlc or better flash.

15 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Yeah that's what I gathered from the descriptions they list out in the software.   After reading a few more posts on RAPID mode from Reddit and etc it seems to make some games unstable, probably because of the jump back and forth between volatile -> non-volatile memory while caching?   I think I'm going to utilize it for some file transfers I need to do tomorrow then turn it off.

39 minutes ago, viscous_cree said:

Yeah that's what I gathered from the descriptions they list out in the software.   After reading a few more posts on RAPID mode from Reddit and etc it seems to make some games unstable, probably because of the jump back and forth between volatile -> non-volatile memory while caching?   I think I'm going to utilize it for some file transfers I need to do tomorrow then turn it off.

Wont help with file transfers.

Its quite literally caching in ram so whilst it might do 1-3gb "fast" itd gonna take 1-3gb longer at thr end of writing to disk

It is an in os software ramdisk solution isntead a pre os ramdisk. That causes istabilities if thr software messes up.

It buffers / caches writes into RAM and in the background it silently writes the stuff to SSD. 

Try starting a big transfer and a few seconds later unplug the computer (or hit reset) and you'll see how much data was effectively written onto the SSD. 

It just fools programs into thinking the transfer was complete before it's actually guaranteed to be stored into the SSD which can be bad. For example, you do a move folder with lots of small files operation where the program deletes each file after it receives confirmation the file was moved, and you get a power loss... you could lose files because the stuff still in the ram cache gets lost but the program deleted the original files because the SSD tricked it into thinking the file was actually stored there.