Crucial Ballistix RAM

Hi All,

Ive been building my gaming machines, every 4 or 5 years, for the past 20+ years and I always used Crucial ram and never had a problem with any stick. I was a big fan of crucial ram and was saddened to discover that Micron discontinued their ballistix line. I managed to find and buy one of the last 32gb kits of crucial ballistix DDR4 3600 on amazon before it all sold out a couple months ago, thankfully, but I'm wondering if there are any RAM companies that use Microm RAM chips in their gaming RAM. I see brands that use samsung and sk hynix but not micron. Anyone know if any company is using micron chips?

Thanks!

Most brands that sell DRAM that don't make their of chips use Micron in some of their SKUs. Corsair does, but you need to hunt down specific SKUs. It's not enough to say Corsair Vengeance for example because some version of them use Hynix or Micron or Samsung... really depends on the particular version of that SKU

11 minutes ago, Bolverker said:

Anyone know if any company is using micron chips?

Basically all of them do use Micron memory ICs on their memory sticks. The issue is none of them use Micron ICs consistently in any of their memory sticks, for a couple of reasons. 

So RAM manufacturers use whatever memory IC that's on the factory floor that day that can do a particular set of settings when making a kit. Sometimes that's Micron chips, sometimes it's Samsung, sometimes it's Nanya, and sometimes it's Hynix (back in DDR3 there was also Elpida and PSC, though they don't really exist anymore). The only time that is different is if the DIMM manufacturer is owned by the IC manufacturer like Crucial or Klevv, or if you're shopping in settings that can only be certain ICs. Samsung B die on DDR4 was easy to find because it was the only IC that can do tight tRCD, so kits like 3200 CL14-14-14-34 were always guaranteed B die. That is subject to change, though, as memory kits that were guaranteed to be one IC can become many different ICs throughout time (6400 CL32 kits of DDR5 used to be guaranteed Hynix M die, but now Hynix A die is showing up in there)

The issue with finding Micron memory is that the settings Micron stuff does is not guaranteed to be in any specific memory bins. On DDR4, all the high settings that it does can also be done by Hynix CJR, DJR, or JJR, whereas on DDR5 all the settings it does can be done by Samsung or Hynix ICs, so it's only found in the JEDEC/mostly JEDEC 4800 and 5200MT/s bins. On DDR4 Micron was better since it did better subtimings than the Hynix ICs, though on DDR5 it's just plain worse than everything else. 

Also, may I ask why you want to stick to just Micron based memory? Hynix and Samsung are both just as reliable and for the most part can do higher settings. Besides, OEM Micron and Crucial kits do still exist, and if Micron does put out a high performance IC in the future I'd be surprised if they didn't bring in a new sub-brand to Crucial. Their issue was IIRC with the naming of the Ballistix line, not really the gaming RAM line itself. 

Thanks for the info all. I'm loyal to brands that have worked well for me in the past, hence sticking with Crucial since I started with them way back in the 90's and have had zero problems with them. However, I don't build new PCs often enough to want to find specific SKUs. I do hope that micron starts a new DDR5 gaming line in the future, Those DDR5 sticks they're advertising now are slow. I was looking at Corsair and the new DDR5 from patriot looks promising as well, but alas, it'll be a few years before my next build so I'm sure the market and the players will change significantly by then. Thanks again.