Boot Drive SSD died, trying to restore from backup.

Leek Soup

Well… my SSD died. It was my boot drive, a 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q. I was updating my graphics card drivers when it blue screened to a WHEA error and is no longer recognised by my motherboard. I have cleared the CMOS, tried another slot, and it just won’t show up. 

Thankfully, a few months ago I decided to build a second PC as a NAS, and I have a backup of my system on it. However, when I open the backup file it says “do you want to restore files from this backup” I press “restore files”, but then it takes me to this screen where there are no options.

I’m not sure what to do here. The file is 1.2TB so there is stuff there, and when I open it in file explorer I can see my files. 

I would greatly appreciate some help. 

5032510F-408E-436C-9138-80FC67A330C5.jpeg

image.jpg

You need a running drive with WINDOWS on it, that you will restore files TO.

Best is to get an IMAGING backup software that saves the image of the whole drive and writes it on your new drive. (for the future)

For now you need a new drive first.

6 hours ago, Cyberat said:

You need a running drive with WINDOWS on it, that you will restore files TO.

Best is to get an IMAGING backup software that saves the image of the whole drive and writes it on your new drive. (for the future)

For now you need a new drive first.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I will make sure to get an imaging backup in the future, seems like the best way to go. I have ordered a 1TB Crucial P5 Plus. Never touching a Sabrent product again. Thankfully I have a USB with a windows installer on it for emergencies like this. Do you know if I will be able to re-use my windows activation key?

You should be, MAC number not changed so BIOS keys should work. Unless you used an OEM, might have to unregister PC with microsoft to use it again ? Not sure how they do things nowadays.