Why is Display Smaller than Monitor Screen?

JudithWright
PC Specs:

HP Z420 Workstation

CPU:  Intel Xeon E5-2670
GPU: NVIDIA Quadro K600
RAM: 256GB AXIOM  PC3-10600 DDR3-1333MHz ECC Registered CL9 240-Pin DIMM 1.35V Low Voltage Quad Rank Memory Module
Boot Drive: 128Gb Silicon Power 2.5" SSD

----

Monitor Display  is smaller than the screen size (with a black box around the Windows display).

I have downloaded every possible update from Windows update.  Also, manually downloaded (and installed) Quadro Desktop Driver 410 from (https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/141696/en-us/).

Some of the other NVIDIA Driver Updates I have tried manually installing give me an error message : "nvidia installer cannot continue nvidia graphics driver not compatible version windows"

I have gone through the "standard fixes" like trying to change the screen resolution size in Windows - and none of these have worked.

I currently see a PC with similar specs for sale on Newegg, so I am not understanding why this setup is not working.  

Why is the Display smaller than the Monitor screen?
How can this be fixed?

Are you using a 64 bit version of windows?

Youre going to need some form of a display driver for the gpu to work , but more than likely the monitor simplay doesnt scale low resolution input signals so thats why it just centered and smaller

11 minutes ago, emosun said:

Are you using a 64 bit version of windows?

Hi,

Yes the OS is Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit

16 minutes ago, Clueless Rabbit said:

In Device Manager what does it show under Display Adapter?

Could try using DDU to uninstall GPU drivers, then restart the PC. If connected to the internet the Win 10 should try and install something automatically.

I uninstalled everything and borrowed an NVIDIA NVS 310 to see if it would work, and the display started to work in the same way (with the black square around the display).

But then, when I ran all of the standard Windows 10 updates, the display corrected - and works normally.

Why would the Hp Z420 work normally only with the NVS 310 but not with the K600?

2 hours ago, JudithWright said:
Why would the Hp Z420 work normally only with the NVS 310 but not with the K600?

Because the machine is over a decade old and the card might not work