HP Envy x360 keeps crashing

Laozor

Hello there ! 🖐️

First of all, please forgive my bad English, as it is not my native language. I'll try to explain my issue and be as precise as I can be.

The computer:

I'm the owner of a

• HP ENVY X360 13-AG004NF laptop (5-6 years old) currently running Windows 10 Family 22H2 (build 19045.2311).
  • This laptop comes with a Ryzen 5 2500U processor (Radeon Vega 8 for the graphic part) and 8Go of RAM.
  • BIOS is AMI F.47 (date: 07/03/2020). A recent (08/25/2022) version (F.51 Rev.A) seems to exist according to HP website, their installation tool allows me to download it, but not to update my current BIOS. It says it is not compatible with my computer.
  • All drivers are up to date.

Due to a hinge problem, the glass of the screen is broken, but otherwise still works just fine (including, weirdly enough, the touch).

Battery is completely dead. The laptop cannot turn on if not plugged in.

Because of the aforementioned "condition" of the laptop, it sits all day long on a desk and never moves. As it is close to walls, it cannot (and has not) receive any shot / hit.

My issue:

From one day to another, in early November, the computer kept consistently crashing within the 5 seconds following the opening of my windows session when I turned it on a morning. It worked just fine the day before and until I turned it off for the night.

These crashes where not accompanied by an error, error code nor a blue screen. The PC just goes black in a snap, as if it wasn't powered anymore (since the battery is dead).

No matter how many times I tried to turn it back on and log into my session, it kept crashing likewise within 5 seconds.

It also wasn't related to something I was doing on the computer: I could stay on the desktop following the login / or open a browser / or open the explorer / so on. It constantly crashed withing 5 seconds.

I tried unplugging every peripherals connected to it: nothing

I tried plugging it on an other outlet (and checking the power cable): nothing.

I then reinstalled Windows 10 with the troubleshooting program included in Windows (not a USB key, the "out of the factory reset"): installation went through normally. Log into the new session: crashes within 5 seconds.

At this point, I realized the computer kept crashing only when I logged into my session. It could stay turned on indefinitely if I stayed on the log in page (although being way more useless as a computer), eventually going into sleep mode.

I then reinstalled Windows 10 to its latest version with a USB key created with Microsoft Tool as I was advised to do so on Microsoft Community. The guy who helped me told me it could be a compatibility issue between a late Windows update and my drivers. The installation went though normally and the computer seemed to work just fine (since it didn't crash within the 5 seconds following the login). So I thanked the guy who helped and the computer was back in the game for the two following days. Two days later, when I turned it off, it installed Windows updates before turning off.

The next morning, it started crashing again. It wasn't within the 5 seconds like before, but more randomly. But still the same crash: going black in a snap, no error, no blue screen, like it wasn't powered anymore.

I thought it was no big deal: the guy told me it could be a compatibility issue between my drivers and a Windows update. The computer had most certainly installed the same update than before, thus my issue was back.

So I tried to reinstall Windows 10 with the aforementioned USB key created with Microsoft Tool: it kept crashing again and again (same crashes as described before) when I typed in my key to connect to the WiFi.

At some point, I tried to not connect to the WiFi during the installation, saying I don't have internet, and the installation went through normally. I even manage to connect to the WiFi once logged into Windows.

But it keeps crashing randomly. And the Reliability Monitor just says Windows didn't stop correctly, with the description being "the previous system shutdown was not planned" (screenshots - in French - attached). Not very helpful.

So here I am asking for help! This is no emergency as I had save everything I had on this computer and recently bought another laptop for when I'm on the move. But I'd still like to use this (up to now) perfectly working laptop as a desktop computer when I need it. So if anyone has an idea on the why of the how, I'm all ears! 😃🤗

Many thanks in advance for anyone who took the time reading me.

Capture d’écran (1).png

Capture d’écran (2).png

Well, I think in any no battery laptop situation, you would want all the "green" and power settings OFF, Bios and Windows.

Go to Bios and let it sit there for 30min. if no crashes, it's your windows power settings.

On 12/4/2022 at 12:34 AM, Cyberat said:

Well, I think in any no battery laptop situation, you would want all the "green" and power settings OFF, Bios and Windows.

Go to Bios and let it sit there for 30min. if no crashes, it's your windows power settings.

It's been in the BIOS for the last three hours now and no crashes, so I'll try your idea. Although it seems I don't have the hand on many options in the BIOS..

EDIT : So far, I've blocked it to go into sleep mode, even when the battery is critical (which it is, but when it's plugged in it should matter, right?) and turned on the "optimal performance" mode which should (if I understand correctly) block it from hibernate or to go in "hybrid sleep mode" (don't know what that is) among other things. But I still have the same crashes 😢

What kind of settings should I look for?

EDIT² : Got fed up yesterday after last EDIT. Took it apart, removed the known dead battery anyway. No crash so far (~20hrs up since). Just a CMOS error reset 502 at startup. Guess the CMOS battery is also dead, but I don't find any info about it in the manual 🤗 And didn't see one while open (but wasn't looking for it either). And both the date and the time are correct. So is it bad to let it like that?

Edited by Laozor
Can't double post to up my thread ? Thus explaining what I've done so far since last post.