Dissatisfied yeti user needs assistance

BerryWilkins

Hello. I used to have the old old yeti and tbh i was pretty satisfied with it. I record my sessions with my friends over games on discord and upload them to youtube and really appreciate okay to more often these days good audio. Unfortunately it broke and when it comes to doing D&D, my vocal range is the highest in the group. I thought replacing it with another yeti (this time the yeti x as that was what was available) would work, but now i basically cant scream. The audio either peaks and cuts me off or the microphone doesnt pick me up. This is because the gain can only be set up so i have to be loud all the time or none of the time.

Ive seen the RE 20 and the shure sm7b thrown around a bunch, but cant really test either. 

Does anyone have an opinion with their own experience they wouldnt mind sharing?

My experience is more in live audio work so may not be the most helpful for your situation.

I think the Yeti mic you have could still work just you need to work on microphone technique. Watching most good performers on stage for a bit and you'll see that they move further away from the mic when they are singing louder and closer when they are softer. You can also see linus and luke doing this on WAN show quite a bit.

It'll just some take practice and wont cost you any money or changing your setup.

In a recording situation you can run multiple mics with one being further away or at a lower gain level so you can recover the louder clipped parts of the audio.

Another option is to run a compressor on the microphone. You will lose control of your dynamics to the compressor and to set it up so you're not peaking the microphone you'll need to use make-up gain which will raise the noise floor and potentially not sound the best.

I was thinking this was about microphones and something I knew more or less nothing about and wasn’t going to comment, until I saw “D&D” which I take to be the standard moniker for Dungeons and Dragons which puts the word “Yeti” in a whole new light, so my experience is probably probably merely “victim of bizarre circumstance”

that said, and not being a Yeti microphone owner, I was under the impression that was a USB microphone. (It very well might not be). If it is it’s got an internal DAC Which is very possibly the bit that has these limited controls.  Is it possible to bypass?  If it is there would have to be some sort of analog out.

However, the mental image of someone screaming into the chest of a large white furred creature amuses me.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

I was thinking this was about microphones and something I knew more or less nothing about and wasn’t going to comment, until I saw “D&D” which I take to be the standard moniker for Dungeons and Dragons which puts the word “Yeti” in a whole new light, so my experience is probably probably merely “victim of bizarre circumstance”

that said, and not being a Yeti microphone owner, I was under the impression that was a USB microphone. (It very well might not be). If it is it’s got an internal DAC Which is very possibly the bit that has these limited controls.  Is it possible to bypass?  If it is there would have to be some sort of analog out.

However, the mental image of someone screaming into the chest of a large white furred creature amuses me.

I can only say im a very vocal person. That and being a barbarian helps. But ive always grown up in a loud family.

As toward the topic. The yeti x and the old yeti are both usb microphones. But with the old yeti it might have been adaptive since there was no gain knob like this new one has. As such with this one i can only set high and low. (Which during D&D they do find hilarious as i scream and it instantly cuts).

Im not familiar with this bypass you speak of. If you could elaborate more it would help in my research to fixing this issue.

1 hour ago, DeltaBruggemann said:

My experience is more in live audio work so may not be the most helpful for your situation.

I think the Yeti mic you have could still work just you need to work on microphone technique. Watching most good performers on stage for a bit and you'll see that they move further away from the mic when they are singing louder and closer when they are softer. You can also see linus and luke doing this on WAN show quite a bit.

It'll just some take practice and wont cost you any money or changing your setup.

In a recording situation you can run multiple mics with one being further away or at a lower gain level so you can recover the louder clipped parts of the audio.

Another option is to run a compressor on the microphone. You will lose control of your dynamics to the compressor and to set it up so you're not peaking the microphone you'll need to use make-up gain which will raise the noise floor and potentially not sound the best.

I feel the technique part. I looked after researching the re20 and sm7b about making sure my placement was right. I keep it roughly 6" from me and for my normal talking it works perfectly. Not the best audio but i fix some stuff in post to help. I can try to get used to active movement, but i had read that those 2 were famous for people who have (for lack of better words) a larger average vocal range. Like the sm7b is used by some people who scream a lot.

To your point ill look into the condenser though! I might be okay with this fix depending on how the output sounds.

However, maybe my question was not worded properly, but im wondering if either of those 2 would be a plug and play problem solve or if i would run into my problem again?

So the old yeti was better trained?  One would think an old yeti would be more hard of hearing and require a more raised voice.  No matter.  I normally associate cut then the screaming rather than the reverse. Perhaps I’m just backward.

DAC is Digital Audio Converter(?) audio is by definition analog.  It needs to be converted into a digital signal so it can be usb. There therefore more or less has to be something that does that.  I was thinking that if the thing had a mini jack input on it the signal there it might be drawn off before the DAC since it’s still analog. There might not be one though or it might go through the DAC first anyway.  If that worked you would have raw analog audio signal which has its own problems. It might be, looking at this from an artist perspective which is very often “I don’t care what is in the box, I want to do my thing”.  you might be best served by finding one of these old yetis on eBay or something.   This is often an issue for photographers.  When a camera stops being produced the used price generally goes up not down.  People want to do their thing, not spend  X hours learning a new tool.

*mentally pictures an old yeti sitting on a rocking chair on a porch waiting for the postman*

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.