Budget build for a Christmas present

Budget (including currency): 500-800

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 11 year old who like fortnight and the like

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I want to build something workable with my son for Christmas.  Any suggestion would be good. 

Don't just be a good parent, be an amazing parent! 3x your budget! (with fortnight, the options for an ok pc are probably endless) If you're going to build the PC yourself (with your kid), you might also enjoy picking the parts yourself. Look up the minimal system requirements for the games, and the recommended ones. Go onto pcpartspicker, and pick/colour match/theme the pc! Unsure about the parts you've picked? Look for reviews! (PC partspicker should tell you which parts are incompatible, or what you're lacking)

56 minutes ago, Jahee2 said:

Don't just be a good parent, be an amazing parent! 3x your budget! (with fortnight, the options for an ok pc are probably endless) If you're going to build the PC yourself (with your kid), you might also enjoy picking the parts yourself. Look up the minimal system requirements for the games, and the recommended ones. Go onto pcpartspicker, and pick/colour match/theme the pc! Unsure about the parts you've picked? Look for reviews! (PC partspicker should tell you which parts are incompatible, or what you're lacking)

Lol what? $800 is already a lot for a Christmas present for an 11 year old. Not only that but even the builds in OP's budget would be overkill for Fortnite. A 5600G without GPU would probably fine, assuming they're using performance mode. Also looking at reviews isn't the best thing to do because most of them are on the day parts released and prices changed a lot. For example a while ago the 6600 was a bad buy for MSRP, but now it's one of the best value cards.

To op: Slightly over budget, but I think they'll be very happy with this. If you want to save some money you can do so by going for non RGB components but I think an 11 year old will love the RGB. If you want to make it even lower skip the GPU and change the CPU to a 5600G, but the 5600 is faster and GPU is also a lot faster than the iGPU in the 5600G, so I think it will be worth it for when they'll play more demanding games in the future.

If you live near Microcenter it might be worth checking that, since they sometimes have some great deals that aren't on PCPP, for example the 5600 that's currently $120.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($137.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: ID-COOLING SE-214-XT 68.2 CFM CPU Cooler  ($19.98 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 GAMING X V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($132.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Silicon Power A60 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($51.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: ASRock Challenger D Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card  ($215.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Newegg Sellers) 
Total: $808.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-12-03 16:44 EST-0500

No Mircocenter here as I live in the Connecticut and I'm not traveling up to Mass any time soon. But this is a great place to start