What's a tech trend you disagree with?

8 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

@DeadnightWarriorYea i agree, I was just expanding because I think sometimes the concept of the storage medium and the DRM itself can be conflated.

Very true, in fact we had some harsh times when games were all on discs and things like Starforce were all the rage.
Still, I can't help but think that my 25 years old Quake II CD will always happily install and play on any compatible computer, while my Steam based Horizon Zero Dawn copy will not even launch without connection and the Steam app...

MAIN PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming | RAM: 16Gb DDR4 Patriot Viper 4 3200 | GPU: XFX RX580 4Gb GTS | Case: Sharkoon S25-W | Storage: M.2 NVME Adata Gammix S10 128Gb + SATA SSD WD Blue 1Tb | ODD: LG GH24NSD1 | PSU: Seasonic Core GM-500 | Display: AOC I2490PXQU | Cooler: Wraith Stealth | Keyboard: Logitech K120 | Mouse: Logitech B100 | Sound: the usual integrated Realtek | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

RETRO PC: CPU: AMD Athlon 64 2800+ | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M | RAM: 2Gb DDR 800 | GPU: ATi Radeon 9600 Pro 128Mb | Case: Tacens Anima AC4500 | Storage: IDE WD Blue 80Gb + IDE DVD-RW drive + floppy drive | Sound: Terratec 128i ESS Solo-1 PCI | OS: Windows 98 SE + Windows XP SP3 + Linux Bionic Pup 32
HTPC: CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | Motherboard: AsRock B450M-HDV R4.0 | RAM: 16Gb DDR4 G.Skill Aegis 3200 | Case: Aerocool CS-101 | Storage: SATA SSD Silicon Power A55 256Gb | ODD: LG blu-ray WH14NS40 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

18 minutes ago, DeadnightWarrior said:

- Removal of all external drive bays from cases

the Fractal pop air (and mini) has two hidden 5.25 front bays.  I hope this is a trend that takes off for a while at least and we get a few manufacturers throwing some more cases out like this

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

On 12/3/2022 at 11:54 AM, jaslion said:

Notches. Why did we stop pushing for normal no notch screens? Why the fuck are they in laptops? It looks awfull, cheap, like a design oversight and serves no real function as there are better ways to go around it. Or just keep a top bar nobody cares. The iphone se still sells like crazy and it has chonky borders.

idm a small holepunch on a smartphone or the notch Apple introduced on MacBooks. They added more screen height, so you really gained more than lost. While there are still bugs, I find that approach still pretty nice.

On 12/3/2022 at 11:53 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

On full size desktops, however, board vendors are sacrificing connectivity options in order to get more M.2 slots. Instead of giving standard size PCIe slots that you can populate with any type of expansion card you could think of, a lot of boards have stopped giving those slots in favor of populating the PCB with more M.2 slots. 

Do you really ever need more than one PCIe slot on a PC? I'll take more M.2 slots over more PCIe slots any day. Most of the time the GPU itself covers like at least one of the other PCIe slots...

3 minutes ago, Just that Mario said:

idm a small holepunch on a smartphone or the notch Apple introduced on MacBooks. They added more screen height, so you really gained more than lost. While there are still bugs, I find that approach still pretty nice.

Dont matter now there is a hole ot a dent in the screen.

Look at sony they fit a ton in a tiny bezel on phones.

Or look at any laptop with thin bezels ever and a top camera that 5mm they saved doesnt matter when now there is a big af dent in the screen whilst a webcam could have fit just fine in a longer thin bezel.

On 12/4/2022 at 7:16 AM, Heliian said:

I'm petitioning to keep it in line with 4k

So 1080p = 2k

1440p = 2.5k

2k literally is 2048x1080

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Or look at any laptop with thin bezels ever and a top camera that 5mm they saved doesnt matter when now there is a big af dent in the screen whilst a webcam could have fit just fine in a longer thin bezel.

It isn't just a webcam for Apple devices though. Also imo holepunch or a notch > having a 1cm bezel on top of a phone. As for MacBooks, there is no "dent" in the screen. You literally gained extra space on the screen. I don't see how having more screen height can be worse than having a useless solid bar at the top of the display.

23 minutes ago, Just that Mario said:

Do you really ever need more than one PCIe slot on a PC?

[insert chad yes meme here]

compute cards, network interfaces, HBA/raid cards, asics and other specialty cards.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

23 minutes ago, Just that Mario said:

It isn't just a webcam for Apple devices though. Also imo holepunch or a notch > having a 1cm bezel on top of a phone. As for MacBooks, there is no "dent" in the screen. You literally gained extra space on the screen. I don't see how having more screen height can be worse than having a useless solid bar at the top of the display.

The screen is now obstructed by a dent or a hole its no longer a rectangle.

The issue is disturbance of consistency. Apps to this day show that the notch or hole sometimes gets in the way.

We already solved this issue on phone with things like the s9, xperia one, mi 9t, zrnfone flip,... many solutions that fixed a non existant problem

1 hour ago, Just that Mario said:

Do you really ever need more than one PCIe slot on a PC? I'll take more M.2 slots over more PCIe slots any day. Most of the time the GPU itself covers like at least one of the other PCIe slots...

It's about flexibility, and PCIe slots are just more flexible than M.2 slots. You could wire up full x16 slots lower down on the board and include an adapter card that gives you 4 M.2 slots right there, while if you want to use something else on there like a network card, second GPU, SATA HBA, etc., all things I've used on motherboards for one reason or another and still have a reason to do so. 

3 hours ago, Just that Mario said:

Do you really ever need more than one PCIe slot on a PC?

If that was the case we'd all be using mini iTX boards and small form factor cases

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

On 12/3/2022 at 7:33 PM, Dedayog said:

1080p and 1440p are incredibly viable and cheaper.  And really barely noticeable in looks.

You can pry my 1080p FreeSync monitor out of my cold, dead hands.

Curved screens. None of them are ips, and games just seem to look better on flat. Not only that flat panels also seem to have higher refresh rates, and cheaper.

Unless you got giant pockets for one of them samsung arks i say

MEH

16 hours ago, jaslion said:

I am not trying to defend apple, they might have been able to make the notch smaller or make it a hole punch of they wanted, but worth noting:
From what I have seen, all other laptops that have very thin bezel that also include a webcam, have webcams that sucks. The webcam in the notch on the macs is plenty better.

15 hours ago, jaslion said:

The screen is now obstructed by a dent or a hole its no longer a rectangle.

The issue is disturbance of consistency. Apps to this day show that the notch or hole sometimes gets in the way.

We already solved this issue on phone with things like the s9, xperia one, mi 9t, zrnfone flip,... many solutions that fixed a non existant problem

You cant really compare front facing phone camera to laptop webcam. On phone, you have more depth to play with than the lid of a laptop. Lid of laptops are thin.

That said, I dont care about webcam on laptops, but some do. And I dislike notches but I dont mind hole punch cameras.

16 hours ago, Just that Mario said:

2k literally is 2048x1080

It is, but that resolution is rare.
1920x1080 is 2k as well, just the same way people call 3840x20160 for 4k.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I think it's hard to find a tech trend I do agree with. I will flip my own light switch, thanks. I will brew my own coffee. I will turn up my own thermostat with a physical button. Watches should be for telling time. My refrigerator does not need a damn iPad in it. I spend 9+ hours a day interacting with my computer, why do I need to spend most of my free time doing more of that?

The growing GPU prices and power requirements are a trend I really dislike.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

49 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

The growing GPU prices and power requirements are a trend I really dislike.

280 - 650 USD - 550W PSU

480 - 499 USD - 600W PSU

580 - 499 USD - 600W PSU

680 - 549 USD - 550W PSU

780 - 649 USD - 450-600W PSU

980 - 549 USD - 500W PSU

1080 - 599 USD - 500W PSU

2080 - 799 USD - 650W PSU

3080 - 1249 USD - 750W PSU

4080 - 1199 USD - 850W PSU

Disclaimer:  Prices and PSU reccomendations taken from first page Google results.

3080 Price based on later 12GB model

As an aside, I am sad (though I understand the trend) that VR seems to be heading in the direction of standalone mobile headsets like the Quest 2 while leaving PCVR behind somewhat. The number of titles coming out for PC that are actually worth playing (and I don't mean the myriad of mediocre "adult" titles littering steam) are quite few and far between.

I'm hardly pronouncing the death of PCVR just yet, but progress is just frustratingly slow, especially compared to the rest of PC gaming. The Valve Index is over 3 years old at this point and it's still the reigning champion for gaming. I just feel like the industry isn't really trying anymore.

Anyway, I would have been very pissed had I brought one of these headsets new given their launch price lmao

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

As an aside, I am sad (though I understand the trend) that VR seems to be heading in the direction of standalone mobile headsets like the Quest 2 while leaving PCVR behind somewhat. The number of titles coming out for PC that are actually worth playing (and I don't mean the myriad of mediocre "adult" titles littering steam) are quite few and far between.

I'm hardly pronouncing the death of PCVR just yet, but progress is just frustratingly slow, especially compared to the rest of PC gaming. The Valve Index is over 3 years old at this point and it's still the reigning champion for gaming. I just feel like the industry isn't really trying anymore.

Anyway, I would have been very pissed had I brought one of these headsets new given their launch price lmao

It was just too damned expensive.  OK most people here have a decent PC powerful enough for VR.  We are, however, in the minority.  Standalone units like the quest and the cosmos just have a broader appeal due to their lower entry cost.  Heck, before my nephew got his Quest 2.  I lent him my Rift.  He's got a 10400 and a 3060ti based machine and he didn't even touch the rift cause of the 'lead'.  I paid nearly full price (£500) for the Rift a few months after release and i ended up giving it to my girlfriend cause it was too painful to sell it for the 100ish i would have gotten for it.  At least we can get together in VR if she's got it (I have the Vive)

6 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

It was just too damned expensive.  OK most people here have a decent PC powerful enough for VR.  We are, however, in the minority.  Standalone units like the quest and the cosmos just have a broader appeal due to their lower entry cost.  Heck, before my nephew got his Quest 2.  I lent him my Rift.  He's got a 10400 and a 3060ti based machine and he didn't even touch the rift cause of the 'lead'.  I paid nearly full price (£500) for the Rift a few months after release and i ended up giving it to my girlfriend cause it was too painful to sell it for the 100ish i would have gotten for it.  At least we can get together in VR if she's got it (I have the Vive)

Yeah I get it too. The mass market appeal of the Quest/Quest 2 or even something like PSVR can't be beat. You're going to be able to convince far more people to shell out 300-400$ on a headset (either standalone or attached to the console they probably already own) than 600+ USD for a PCVR HMD, on top of an extra grand on a decent PC.

Heck, the only reason I could justify it for myself is because I got lucky and paid less than 300$ for my Vive pro setup and already had a PC capable of handling VR. There's no way I'm spending 1.5-2 grand on what what is essentially just fancy gaming hardware.

And that's also saying nothing about the setup process of something like a Vive or Rift compared to a Quest. I get it, but I'm just dissapointed that the higher-end stuff isn't really being exploited.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I don't care that much about smartphone cameras. Pictures from phones are so over-processed now that I'm mainly shooting in RAW on my iPhone because those photos look best, even if they take up a ton of space. Also, the cameras make the phone thicker and heavier than ever; I'd settle for a thinner, lighter phone even if it meant the greatest camera ever couldn't be in there...

Power limits.

I hate people telling what to do.

AMD R7 5800X3D @ -28 | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x  8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, SN770 1TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact |1x T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

On 12/19/2022 at 9:50 PM, Fendrick said:

4K. 8K.

what's wrong with 4k? it finally made large screens (120"+) bearable, no more huge screen door effect.

Do you think settling on 1080 or 1440p should be it? no reason to ever aim for higher resolution?

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.