SSD speed as external drive over USB 3.0 connector,test result

frozensun

Ok guys.

I thought this might be interesting.

I connected the 860 Evo, previously formatted as one partition over SATA to USB adapter as external drive and measured the speed with Crystal Disk Mark.

Here is the result I got.

I think not bad at all, but I am now wondering is this better then any other USB pen drive,even the fastest ones.

I think so.

I might test my Patriot Rage Pro drive too and report results.

I suppose bottleneck is the USB 3.0 connector,dunno if this is max speed over USB 3.0 connector.

Screen Shot 12-03-22 at 09.45 AM.PNG

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

5 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Ok guys.

I thought this might be interesting.

I connected the 860 Evo, previously formatted as one partition over SATA to USB adapter as external drive and measured the speed with Crystal Disk Mark.

Here is the result I got.

I think not bad at all, but I am now wondering is this better then any other USB pen drive,even the fastest ones.

I think so.

I might test my Patriot Rage Pro drive too and report results.

I suppose bottleneck is the USB 3.0 connector,dunno if this is max speed over USB 3.0 connector.

Yes it should be better than any USB stick as they use cheaper NAND and simpler controllers.

No that's not the maximum of USB 3.0, but it can vary a lot depending on which SATA to USB adapter you are using.  Some are absolute junk.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

11 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yes it should be better than any USB stick as they use cheaper NAND and simpler controllers.

No that's not the maximum of USB 3.0, but it can vary a lot depending on which SATA to USB adapter you are using.  Some are absolute junk.

Oh really.I was using some Icy Box 2.5 " caddy Iwith adapter....let me try the other one adapter and report back result.

I will test USB pen drive as well,the one mentioned above.
So writing and reading from the SSD hooked up over USB should be much faster compared to any USB pen drive.

Wooow, I must say pen drive is keeping up good with speed.almost nearly as fast....or I am wrong...

Screen Shot 12-03-22 at 10.03 AM.PNG

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

2 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Oh really.I was using some Icy Box 2.5 " caddy Iwith adapter....let me try the other one adapter and report back result.

I will test USB pen drive as well,the one mentioned above.
So writing and reading from the SSD hooked up over USB should be much faster compared to any USB pen drive?

I think Icy Box are pretty good, I was disappointed with Sabrent as they seemed fast but unreliable.  Though I don't think there is any guarantee as you never know when a company will change their SATA to USB controller.

It also comes down to surface area to keep the SSD cool.  Even relatively slow USB sticks can run really hot because all the components are physically smaller and they will often insulate the stick to stop your burning your fingers if you touch it, making them even more thermally limited.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

Okay, so with other adapter from CableExpert I got a bit lower speed, so I will keep using IcyBox.

I was wondering what theroretically should be max R/W speed over USB 3.0 port?

1 hour ago, frozensun said:

Okay, so with other adapter from CableExpert I got a bit lower speed, so I will keep using IcyBox.

I was wondering what theroretically should be max R/W speed over USB 3.0 port?

I'm not sure for SATA converters but for network cards I've seen 429MiB/s on USB 3.0/3.1 Gen 1 (5Gbit), but there is also USB 3.1 Gen2 that is 10Gbit, USB 3.2 (Gen 2x2) that is 20Gbit and USB 4 should take us up to 40Gbit.

USB has gotten really confusing.