Adjust app and system volume separately in one click?

Gman035

So, I have a not so uncommon issue with a sound bar hooked up to my HTPC where during quiet moments or when starting a video, there are pauses where audio cuts out. My solution has been to use white noise playing on a loop in VLC in the background at essentially inaudible volume.

I’ve tried about every solution short of replacing the sound bar outright, and while this one is inelegant it seems to work. If anyone has a better solution, I’d be all ears! The problem as it stands, is if I lower the system volume, I need to increase the volume in VLC (and vice versa) to maintain the desired results, which is incredibly annoying.

I was wondering if anyone is aware of a way to independently adjust two volumes with a single key command? I’m open to programs, powershell code, literally anything, since I cannot afford to replace the sound bar at the moment.

Ideally, I’d like to be able to scale the in 2% increments with parameters for the Min & Max volumes of both VLC and the system volume.

Thanks in advance for any help!

What I have done to get around problems with software controlled volume is that I move the volume in VLC to max all the time and leave it there.  I do the same with other sound sources such as my game (WoW), just move it all the way to max too.  Everything moved to max.

Then, to control the volume I use the system control down in the lower right corner.  Sort of using the volume in things such as VLC to feed the Windows sound with max volume then using the system volume control to control what I am listening to at the time.  Kind of hard to explain I suppose so I hope you get the gist of what I'm trying to say.

For my sound, I have a Bose Companion 5 setup that has a volume control on the end of a cable attached to the system so what I do is set all the volume in my computer to max then use the Bose controller to limit the sound.  The Bose controller also has a tap feature so that if I want to mute the sound all I need to do is just tap the top of the controller and BINGO, no sound.  Tap it again and it is all back to normal.  Pretty good setup I must say so myself.

Good Luck.

6 hours ago, Gman035 said:

So, I have a not so uncommon issue with a sound bar hooked up to my HTPC where during quiet moments or when starting a video, there are pauses where audio cuts out. My solution has been to use white noise playing on a loop in VLC in the background at essentially inaudible volume.

I’ve tried about every solution short of replacing the sound bar outright, and while this one is inelegant it seems to work. If anyone has a better solution, I’d be all ears! The problem as it stands, is if I lower the system volume, I need to increase the volume in VLC (and vice versa) to maintain the desired results, which is incredibly annoying.

I was wondering if anyone is aware of a way to independently adjust two volumes with a single key command? I’m open to programs, powershell code, literally anything, since I cannot afford to replace the sound bar at the moment.

Ideally, I’d like to be able to scale the in 2% increments with parameters for the Min & Max volumes of both VLC and the system volume.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I think I might have a similar issue with my TV/sound bar setup.  I experience the problem when a scene goes from really quiet to snappy, loud sounds, such as explosions or gunshots.  Or during hockey games when the color commentator is calling a relatively common or unexciting play and a goal is scored.  This reddit thread seems to have some suggestions.  Problem might be with the TV settings rather than the bar.