Help to choose a good quality/price/performance ssd.

Go to solution Solved by Origami Cactus,
15 minutes ago, Silencix said:

The model is the one in the photo of the first post.

Okay. The mz-vkw5120 is a 200$ ssd, so if you can actually get it for around 40$ then I would be a bit vary of it. It is the OEM version of Samsung 950 Pro.

But the difference is:

MZ-7LN5120 == sata interface

mz-vkw5120 == m.2 PCPIE interface

So if you can actually get that SSD for 40$ then it is a very good deal, so go for it, but definitely look at crystaldiskinfo after getting it, high chance that it is a used ssd taken out of an oem machine.

Hi all, I am confused about a solid disk m2 and is that the seller first says it is model MZ-7LN5120 and then says it is model mz-vkw5120. if it was the Samsung SM961 model is it MLC or is it TLC? Does it have chache? I am attaching a screenshot of the disk that is for sale. If you can help me to resolve these doubts very grateful in advance. Best regards.

624101964_Sinttulo.jpg.bda3e5de15e71ff50af731f879f5a943.jpg

I also found this one but it is TLC and I want an MLC.

https://www.gigabyte.com/ar/SSD/AORUS-RGB-M2-NVMe-SSD-256GB#kf

I don't think you can find a reasonable capacity slc in my price range, but it would be ideal for my search. 

7 minutes ago, Silencix said:

Because that's what I want for my main drive. Thank you very much.

I'm still wondering why.

9 minutes ago, Silencix said:

If you find something better, which is MLC, I attach the link to the store. 

I don't really know what your price range is, but the last proper MLC drive that comes to mind, was the Samsung 970 PRO. Where I live, you can get a 2 TB 980 PRO for cheaper than a 1 TB 970 PRO which negates the increased lifetime of the MLC NAND, since you just have more of the TLC NAND available.

10 minutes ago, adm0n said:

I don't really know what your price range is,

in the link of the store is already filtered by price range and by ssd.

11 minutes ago, Silencix said:

in the link of the store is already filtered by price range and by ssd.

You are not getting anything close to MLC in that price range. Not that it matters.

All modern SSDS already run a part of them at MLC, and when they start filling up they gradually turn the cells into TLC. So if you want a MLC ssd get the biggest TLC drive you can get in that price range, and just leave large part of the drive as empty.

You could probably get an ancient MLC ssd in that price range, but it will be slower, less durable, worse in every way compared to modern TLC design, so don't even think about that.

On that site I would buy this drive, because compared to others it is 480gb, so you get double the cache, and also double the durability:

https://www.mercadolibre.com.ar/disco-solido-interno-pny-ssd7cs900-480-rb-480gb-negro/p/MLA10137125?pdp_filters=category:MLA1672|price:*-8000#searchVariation=MLA10137125&position=1&search_layout=stack&type=product&tracking_id=db07904c-849c-4938-834a-0ef5302d9cf2

I know you wanted m.2, but all of those are 240gb and still sata on the inside. So if you can go with the sata ssd.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

8 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

You are not getting anything close to MLC in that price range.

Well, I found one MLC, ok old, 512gb.

59 minutes ago, Silencix said:

Well, I found one MLC, ok old, 512gb.

Well you didn't say the model.

Changes are that it is just a mislabeled TLC, because MLC just means "multi level cells". So technically TLC (triple level cells) is also MLC, Samsung has been caught in the past calling their TLC drives as MLC, because TECHNICALLY THEY ARE. So just post the model here, and I can mostly guarantee it is actually TLC. 

5 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Well you didn't say the model.

15 minutes ago, Silencix said:

Okay. The mz-vkw5120 is a 200$ ssd, so if you can actually get it for around 40$ then I would be a bit vary of it. It is the OEM version of Samsung 950 Pro.

But the difference is:

So if you can actually get that SSD for 40$ then it is a very good deal, so go for it, but definitely look at crystaldiskinfo after getting it, high chance that it is a used ssd taken out of an oem machine.

3 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

But the difference is:

Thank you very much! Is it really mlc or is it tlc?

Samsung 970 Pro would be my choice for MLC.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

1 minute ago, Ralf said:

Samsung 970 Pro would be my choice for MLC.

MZ-V7E1T0 

this is the only thing I get for my budget. 

When I get it and install it I will report here its status with hard disk sentinel and crystaldiskinfo.

20 hours ago, Silencix said:

Thank you very much! Is it really mlc or is it tlc?

yes, it is really MLC, that is why it is a 200$ ssd instead of a 40$ one. Older samsung pro SSDs were all MLC, and it is an OEM variant of 950Pro.

20 hours ago, Silencix said:

MZ-V7E1T0 

That is the 970 evo OEM, that is TLC.

I thought you were going to buy the mz-vkw5120?

5 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

I thought you were going to buy the mz-vkw5120?

Yes I bought that model the same as the first post, it arrives today. Then I will report right here the health status of the ssd and so on.

On 12/3/2022 at 5:07 AM, Origami Cactus said:

yes, it is really MLC

Just installed, it says Samsung MLC V-NAND. What is it? Is it really an MLC? Thank you very much. Best regards.

1.thumb.jpg.7236ed6465c396225c069ca3dc13beac.jpg2.thumb.jpg.0205bb7ac3d84e19f9600f3072872f30.jpg3.thumb.jpg.3d99407206deb59606d055051e9711de.jpg

On 12/4/2022 at 2:22 PM, Silencix said:

Just installed, it says Samsung MLC V-NAND. What is it? Is it really an MLC? Thank you very much. Best regards.

yes, it is truly an MLC drive, pretty much a miracle for the price you got it.

23 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

yes, it is truly an MLC drive, pretty much a miracle for the price you got it.

I didn't pay it so cheap either, with the credit card in 12 installments I ended up paying 20 thousand Argentine pesos. I ended up paying about 67 US dollars.