Is there any alternative to Logitech G915 TKL?

e22big

Need to go back to work in the office soon and I planned to bring my G915 (full size) which I used during these past few years with me as it's critically important to my kind of work and there's no alternative that can quite replace it. 

So I am planning to look for a new keyboard to be used just for gaming and light typing work at home, I like G915 low profile and its integration with my Logitech peripherals so G915 TKl is probably ideal but it also has the rest of the compromises that the G915 had when it came out (ABS, virtually no customisable keycap, micro-USB.) So I would like to ask if anyone know any other viable alternative without these compromises?

My requirement is this:

- MUST be wireless

- TKL is prefered, or at least a detachable numpad/left numpad

- MUST have PBT keycaps AND low profile, or at least a customisable keycaps

- MUST have USB-C

- BT alternative mode is preferred

- Some form of low latency wireless connectivity is highly preferred

I look into Keychron and such but they don't have low latency mode while most gaming offer doesn't offer PBT for low profile switches

On 12/2/2022 at 1:06 AM, e22big said:

Need to go back to work in the office soon and I planned to bring my G915 (full size) which I used during these past few years with me as it's critically important to my kind of work and there's no alternative that can quite replace it. 

So I am planning to look for a new keyboard to be used just for gaming and light typing work at home, I like G915 low profile and its integration with my Logitech peripherals so G915 TKl is probably ideal but it also has the rest of the compromises that the G915 had when it came out (ABS, virtually no customisable keycap, micro-USB.) So I would like to ask if anyone know any other viable alternative without these compromises?

My requirement is this:

- MUST be wireless

- TKL is prefered, or at least a detachable numpad/left numpad

- MUST have PBT keycaps AND low profile, or at least a customisable keycaps

- MUST have USB-C

- BT alternative mode is preferred

- Some form of low latency wireless connectivity is highly preferred

I look into Keychron and such but they don't have low latency mode while most gaming offer doesn't offer PBT for low profile switches

If you want low latency, why don't you just go wired?

20 hours ago, person123456789 said:

If you want low latency, why don't you just go wired?

I hate wire. And some keyboard has a pretty bad latency even when wired.

The only peripheral on my desk where a cable is allowed is my headphone and thats' only because it needs an amp.

9 hours ago, e22big said:

I hate wire. And some keyboard has a pretty bad latency even when wired.

The only peripheral on my desk where a cable is allowed is my headphone and thats' only because it needs an amp.

Why do you hate wires?

12 hours ago, person123456789 said:

Why do you hate wires?

The same reason for people who love wires, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and to me the most beautiful cable is the one that isn't visible.

Razer Deathstalker V2 TKL Pro with a third party set of DSA/XDA PBT keycaps? Looks like Razer's low profile switches have MX compatible stems, this thread on Geekhack tests the compatibility of keycaps with an MX low profile switch. I obviously can't guarantee that the caps will work with Razers switches but it might be an option.

1 hour ago, Bad5ector said:

Have you checked out any of the Keychron keyboards yet?

My current one ticks all those boxes cept for the low latency wifi and the low profile, but they might have something that suites you:

Keychron | Wireless Mechanical Keyboards for Mac, Windows and Phones

Says in the first post that OP has looked into Keychron, they don't meet the low-latency requirement which is pretty critical.

19 hours ago, Ominous said:

caps with an MX low profile swit

19 hours ago, Ominous said:

with a third party set of DSA/XDA PBT keycaps? Looks like Razer's low profile switches have MX compatible stems, this thread on Geekhack tests the compatibility of keycaps with an MX low profile switch. I obviously can't guarantee that the caps will work with Razers switches but it might be an option.

Yeah I did consider it. But coming with ABS keycaps out of the box is kinda suck, that and there's no gurantee that it will work with other Cherry keycaps. I might ver well take it's proven to be compatible. 

But at that price point and no PBC, I might very well just get G915 TKL or another G915.

To be fair, it doesn't has to be gaming brands. I am eyeing Royal Kludge RK987 which has 2.4 ghz connection (I doubt the latency will actually be all that low but at least it should be faster than stanard BT)

13 hours ago, NastyFlytrap said:

I'd argue that more wireless keyboards have shit latency than wired keyboards....

Depends, most gaming 2.4 ghz keyboard do have wireless latency on par or better than a lot of custom mech on wire. LTT has video about and rting result seems to back that up. My G915 has 1.9 ms latency wireless and 8.9 ms on BT, Keychron K4 has 10+ ms on wire and over 20 wireless.

15 hours ago, Ominous said:

Says in the first post that OP has looked into Keychron, they don't meet the low-latency requirement which is pretty critical.

It was highly preferred but honestly not a critical requirement (that's why I didn't write MUST in cap for it)

If it has something else to offer, then I might still take it into consideration (like ticking every other boxes or came dirt cheap

• 11 months later...

Hi e22big, 

I know its an old topic, but I was wondering did you ever find something that fitted your discription? I'm currently in the market for the G915 (maybe TKL), but am wondering which alternatives there are. I should add tho that one of my key-futures actually is that there you can connect multiple devices and switch through buttons on the keyboard.

Preffered use is BT for work, and high speed through dongle on gaming rig.

Kr,

Tim

6 hours ago, T184 said:

Hi e22big, 

I know its an old topic, but I was wondering did you ever find something that fitted your discription? I'm currently in the market for the G915 (maybe TKL), but am wondering which alternatives there are. I should add tho that one of my key-futures actually is that there you can connect multiple devices and switch through buttons on the keyboard.

Kr,

Tim

NuPhy Air75
https://nuphy.com/collections/in-stock-keyboards/products/air75-v2

Low-Profile. Hot-swappable switches. Wired, Bluetooth, and Dongle available and you switch via a toggle.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

On 11/7/2023 at 9:59 PM, T184 said:

Hi e22big, 

Kr,

Tim

I ended up with Nuphy Air 75. It's not really competing with G915 when it comes to latency (the input delay is very noticeable coming from 915)  but it's relatively cheap and excellently built. I am willing to compromise a little when I don't have to use a keybaord all the time.

If you can, try going with the V2 version of it. The V1 (which I ended up with) has a critical flaw that is the battery life (so bad that I pretty much considered the RGB unusable.) It's also have some major quality of life improvements that are lack from V1 (i.e. actually have an adjustable stand, V1 has a detachable stand but it's not adjustable in anyway)