3D printing in full color (10 million colors) at 1200 DPI!!!

Summary

3D Printing is no doubt an amazing technology, but the business of switching filiments for different colors results in additional complexity and cost and limits design posibilities. Company Mimaki has changed the game with the worlds first full-color 3D UV-curable inkjet printer. Additionally their solution to support scaffolding is revolutionary as well - with a soft encasement medium being used to support the object during printing. This medium is then able to be dissolved away in water after printing is complete. 

While their first machine is a large commercial unit, the technology is well ahead of other 3D printing tech. 

Quotes

Mimaki 3D printer [3DUJ-553] has achieved the full color modeling with the capability of world first (*1) over 10 million colors based on our developed technology of 2D inkjet printers of professionals use.
We will propose a new business utilizing [3DUJ-553] as its having rich color expression is better suited to create a final product such as real object sign or building model, of which an extra coloring has been difficult after the completion of modeling.

My thoughts

This really puts prototyping using 3D printing on the next level with the print being able to model design considerations for the finished product. The support material seems like it will enable complex print geometries without the need for the current complex support structures that must be then pruned/clipped off and then the resulting nubs smoothed with acetone. I get the sense that this will be a viable means of making consumer ready products using 3D printing instead of only being used for the prototyping stage. 

Sources

Mimaki's product page: https://mimaki.com/special/3d_print/

Video from 3D Printing Nerd talking with a Mimaki rep at Formnext: 

Only 10milion...? Bitch please, that's such outdated low tech. We already got HDR10+ with 1.07bilion colors.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

180k$ for it (I presume not including inks or resin)

Not bad....

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

What makes this different from something like the Stratasys J750 that can do multicolor and multimaterial?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

3 hours ago, CTR640 said:

We already got HDR10+ with 1.07bilion colors.

Where's your HDR10+ 3D printer?

elephants

1 hour ago, sazrocks said:

What makes this different from something like the Stratasys J750 that can do multicolor and multimaterial?

Thanks for pointing this out! I wasn't aware that this tech had already been introduced by Stratasys. Looks to be the same capabilities.

Can't wait one day to DL schematic for X weapon and print it all colorful too.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

21 hours ago, s4nari said:

The support material seems like it will enable complex print geometries without the need for the current complex support structures that must be then pruned/clipped off and then the resulting nubs smoothed with acetone.

Two things about this statement. Firstly the ability to dissolve support structures in water has been around for a long time and can be done by sub $500 printers that simply have two nozzles; one for the main filament and one for the PVA filament which is water soluble. Secondly, acetone is only usable to vapor smooth ABS (and one other material I forget the name of). PLA and PETG, as well as PA (Nylon) are not vapor smoothable. 

That being said this is very cool technology and will likely one day trickle down to consumer levels of products (by one day I mean at least twenty years)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25