AMD RX 6600 on PCIe 3.0 Clock speed stuck on 1000mHz on 74% Utilization

JoshuaKoe

I recently bought an AMD RX 6600 to upgrade from my GTX 1650

It felt weird seeing the fact that the clockspeed is like 24mHz on idle and 1000-ish mHz on 74% Utilization

Idle temps are on 37-38 degrees and 45 degrees on 74% utilization (are these normal?)

and is it normal for it to have only 29w power consumption?

p.s. ik the system is probably bottlenecked

and im running overwatch 2 

bottlenecked hell.png

What FPS are you getting in your games?

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

1 minute ago, Sarra said:

What FPS are you getting in your games?

since i'm using amd freesync

so far all games i'm running are on a constant 60 or 75 fps

though my motherboard only supports pcie 3.0 (though i'm not sure if that's the real issue)

1 minute ago, JoshuaKoe said:

If your monitor is max 60/75Hz you won't get any more frames with Freesync enabled so your GPU don't need to be pushed more

Disable sync and check what happens

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

PCIe 3.0 probably isn't the issue - 3.0 slots have plenty of bandwidth for a gpu, especially a mid-range one like the 6600.

11 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

If your monitor is max 60/75Hz you won't get any more frames with Freesync enabled so your GPU don't need to be pushed more

Disable sync and check what happens

i get around 100-110 fps on cs:go
about the same for overwatch (all of them on ultra)

i also got the black screen on boot when i installed the drivers yesterday, which a quick hdmi replug apparently did the trick

24 minutes ago, JoshuaKoe said:

When performance is limited by vsync, freesync, or gsync, it reduces the load on the GPU. This then causes the GPU to reduce clocks since there's less load on it, to keep your temps down, fans spinning slower, and reduce load on your PSU.

My 6800XT does this, in some games, I only see 600 or 800 mhz on the Core and the Memory clocks down as well; my fans spin at their idle speed (50%), and my temps stay really low, even though the GPU is kicking 144 FPS into my display. :3

TLDR: This is expected behavior.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

ah ok understandable

but what about 30mHz on idle though?

6 hours ago, JoshuaKoe said:

ah ok understandable

but what about 30mHz on idle though?

The card severely reduces Clocks to save power when there's little load. My 6600XT right now is at 5MHz just browsing. The power consumption on the 6600s is quite low, it's showing around 80W in AMDs stress test for me. Also, temps will be very low due to the low power consumption, so I'd say what you are seeing is expected

As the others suggested, check the games without VSync/Freesync to see if it clocks higher then. Good Luck

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG