Recommendation request: high-quality headset for video conferencing that doesn't flatten my hair

Jacob Stamm

I like using my gaming headset (Plantronics RIG 600LX LX1) for video conferencing — speakers, mic, and comfort are good enough for my usage, but could be better — but I hate how the headband smushes my hair down. I'm looking for a high quality headset that doesn't rest on the top of my head.

Must-haves:

• Good sound quality
  • Good, adjustable mic, something along these lines
  • Over-ear or on-ear speakers, both sides
  • Headband or some other method of staying on that doesn't flatten my hair. (Does anyone make a headset that stays fastened with a sweatband-style band?)
  • Wired
  • Decently comfortable (I might wear for a max of 2 hours at a time)

Nice-to-haves:

• Noise cancelation
  • Background noise suppression for mic (I don't know if this is even a thing, but I like to work in cafes sometimes, which can be a bit noisy and make it hard to both hear and be heard)
  • Spatial audio support
  • Hardware mute
  • No ePiC gAmEr aesthetic

Willing to spend about $200, maybe up to $300 if it checks off some of my nice-to-haves. Any recommendations? I appreciate the help.

Almost any earbuds will be near invisible. They frequently have multiple mics.  Even before Bluetooth almost all wired ones had a mic.  Over ear I doubt there is much.  The cups are heavy.  They have to be held up somehow and they’re heavy for glasses style.  Boom mics are a problem for the same reason.  It’s not electronics it’s physics.  Gravity is a thing.  And so are levers.  You can buy boom mics that are their own device and attach to most headsets though.  No guarantee you won’t hate it because of the weight.  Saw a thing that seemed to be sort of like what you want on Amazon.  Used bone conduction.  No ear anything.  Just needs skull contact.  Had a boom mic of a sort.  One of those tube things.  Also it was a bit pricey.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

you should probably look at IEMs rather than headphones. etymotic is a great brand for human voice applications. they started off making hearing aids then moved on to making equipment for simultaneous interpretation that countries' leaders use when meeting others. you can start with their er2 series ($120ish) then look at er4 ($300ish) if you want more details and accuracy. it doesn't come with a mic so you'll have to get a mic solution separately. audio-technica has a few good clip-on mics.