2 am5 boards (I can’t pick)

So I’m building a new pc based on the am5 platform, and I’m trying to decide between the Rog x670e-e and the x670e Taichi. Probably won’t be upgraded until the am5 platform dies so I need to know to pros and cons of each, which you would prefer (ik ik it’s my choice but still) , and which is more future ready. I like the larger vrms on the Taichi as well as the higher ram speeds, but I like the connectivity and software or the asus more so it’s kind of balanced.

If they're as hilariously overbuilt as every other board this gen, VRMs are a non-issue, get the one with the connectivity/software you want as that'll be what you actually notice when using the board. So in this case the ASUS.

.. Just checked, yeah they are overbuilt. You'll be fine with just the 20+2 110A power stages on the ASUS.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Do you need to buy now? As the owner of a 7950X, I'd caution against upgrading to Zen 4. Prices are high, and the platform isn't nearly as mature as AM4. I can't speak to your wallet, but buying a top tier X/B 600 series seems like a waste of money, almost all the boards are wonky and overpriced. The next generation may be much improved and you'll feel silly with your $400+ unstable board if more full featured, mature 700 boards come out at $300.

Few things:

• The cooling is terrible on this gen of AM5. In order to keep the now LGA CPU the same height as AM4, the CPUs have a super thick heat-spreader. This alone is responsible for something like 10C of conductivity inefficiency - seriously 10C - over the last generation. De-lidding drops you 20C. Not sure how they will fix the problem in the next gen of Zen, they are kinda stuck, but maybe they can figure it out. I'd guess that AM5 won't last for more than 2-3 additional releases due to this massive handicap.
  • RAM - running at the EXPO/XMP profiles is problematic, some people have problems, I had to manually raise SOC voltage in order to get stability on a QVL set of sticks at DDR5-6000. Additionally, if you ever plan to put more than 2 sticks of ram, you're gonna be running something like DDR5-4600 unless you love to overclock. The memory controllers on 13th gen intel and zen 4 just can't handle 4 sticks like DDR4. Intel is better, but it's still a problem if you need a lot of memory or plan to turn your rig into a server in the future. Something to keep in mind.
  • Cooling - you need to go with an AIO/WC if you want decent temps. An air cooler will do fine for lightly threaded applications, otherwise you will run 95C on the high core count CPUs. AMD says this is safe long term(I think it's fine short term), but for someone who wants to keep a cpu for 5+ years, it's a concern for me.

Long story short - I'd get a 2nd step up from the bottom Gigabyte or AsRock boards.I like the Aorus Elite. They have plenty of VRM and aren't absurdly overpriced. I say this because these early boards aren't great(have stability issues) and you'll probably want to replace the board in the future with a more full featured, mature, and properly priced board. If AM5 sticks around, you'll almost certainly want to upgrade to a newer chipset and I think it makes more sense to buy a nice board once prices come down and maturity is developed.

What i/o and connectivity do you need?

And what do you plan on using this system for?

Basically the only thing that matters on these heavily overbuilt am5 boards since vrms are a dime a dozen and no board should have any issues maxing out fclk atleast hardware wise (6200 ddr5) although its still a new platform so basically all boards will suck for now till bios updates come along and fix issues with ddr5 (noticed the amount of ppl posting here with ram issues on am5? Firmware just isnt there yet)

you dont need ludicrously pricey boards with i/o and features that you will never even use

38 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

What i/o and connectivity do you need?

And what do you plan on using this system for?

Basically the only thing that matters on these heavily overbuilt am5 boards since vrms are a dime a dozen and no board should have any issues maxing out fclk atleast hardware wise (6200 ddr5) although its still a new platform so basically all boards will suck for now till bios updates come along and fix issues with ddr5 (noticed the amount of ppl posting here with ram issues on am5? Firmware just isnt there yet)

you dont need ludicrously pricey boards with i/o and features that you will never even use

If you need to buy now, these are the questions you need to consider. I do think you need to buy an 8 layer PCB board at a minimum though. A lot of lower tier MSI boards are 6 layer, and that's bad for DDR5 clocks.