Which garbage phone to keep as a backup camera?

ijustwannagrill

Hey there,

I make frequent trips to the recycling center in my town, where I can find all sorts of electronics ranging from old gaming PCs to iPods. Sometimes I find something to clean up and flip or give away, other times I find something that's not valuable, but just interesting to play around with.

I recently grabbed a few phones from the mobile devices box we have there.

My question is; which of these phones should I keep (based on their camera)? I'd like to keep one of them around as a secondary camera, in case I need a second angle when recording a video. (Yes, I'm serious.)

(Previous owner's data erased and SIM card destroyed, of course-- I'm no data thief.)

Here's the three to choose from:

-iPhone 6s

-Galaxy Note5

-Galaxy s9

The 6s has a neat camera in my opinion, but the battery life on the thing is pretty worn down. If I wanted it as a secondary camera, I'd have to charge it before I used it. On that note, it could probably last a good few hours and it has a good 128GB of built-in storage.

The Note5 is still holding on well. It has a healthy enough battery but its camera isn't as great as the iPhone's (again, in my opinion). It also has a not very good 32GB of built-in storage.

The s9 is probably the newest out of all of them, but the glassy back of the phone is cracked. The camera is decent from what I've seen, and it has an alright 64GB of built-in memory. The battery holds up fine from what I can tell.

(I would honestly flip this one after doing an even harder scrub of data deletion, but the crack on the backside probably makes it worthless.)

Obviously not all cameras are built the same, so I thought I'd post a thread asking what your opinions are.

Thanks for responding to my (rather weird) question!

For $23 Amazon sells a battery replacement/tool kit for the iPhone6s.

For the Galaxy s9 apply superglue to the crack to hold it together and put it in a case to hide the crack.

I don't know if its still available but there was an external card drive holder for the Note 5.

39 minutes ago, ijustwannagrill said:

The s9 is probably the newest out of all of them, but the glassy back of the phone is cracked. The camera is decent from what I've seen, and it has an alright 64GB of built-in memory. The battery holds up fine from what I can tell.

(I would honestly flip this one after doing an even harder scrub of data deletion, but the crack on the backside probably makes it worthless.)

If you have phone service equipment you could just take off the cracked glass and swap it for one that isnt broken

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking at older phones in the wild.  Particularly, Nokia.  Believe it or not, Nokia was getting into the online-device market, but couldn't get all the apps and whatnot like iOS and android had so insanely quickly established.  It's like when there are two options (for anything on this planet) the third option may as well not even exist.

Like Windows Phone.  Or Palm OS / Web OS.

Anyway, the Nokia N8 has a sony sensor, and a Xenon flash.  It looks to me like it takes excellent pictures, but I'm not sure how much battery runtime it has, maybe a lot, who knows.  Just throwing it in the wind if it makes a difference.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.