Patch panel wiring question/problem.

vodouch
Go to solution Solved by Bdavis,

Your cat 8 may be a thicker gauge wire than your patch panel was designed to handle. Check the specs for wire and patch panel. They may be incompatible

Your punch downs don't look that great. Make sure the wires a pushed all the way down. A proper spring loaded punch down tool will trim the wires flush with the terminal block also

Hello, I'm in a bit of a mess. I've tried to wire up a patch panel for our new house and it doesn't seem to work. 

The patch panel says it's for cat6 and we have cat8 but I don't think that would be a problem. I've done the wiring as the sticker said. The cable was working fine before but as soon as I try any port on the patch panel it won't work. Both of the ends are T568B. At this point I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I've tried rewiring it multiple times I've even tried stripping the end to reveal the copper and the ethernet tester still doesn't show anything. I've tried other cables so the tester works. 

20221130_221125.jpg

The only thing I would say is to check to make sure you're wiring in the correctly matching white wire for each color.  Your white wires don't show the alt color band to match with the primary color, so you may have your pairs switched up somewhere.  Each correct pair should be twisted together in the cable, and needs to be kept with it's primary color (Blue/White-Blue, Brown/White-Brown, etc).  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

4 minutes ago, LapsedMemory said:

The only thing I would say is to check to make sure you're wiring in the correctly matching white wire for each color.  Your white wires don't show the alt color band to match with the primary color, so you may have your pairs switched up somewhere.  Each correct pair should be twisted together in the cable, and needs to be kept with it's primary color (Blue/White-Blue, Brown/White-Brown, etc).  

Yeah thought of that also. I've been very careful about that but if that were the case than the cable tester would at least show the colored wired correctly. There's literally no signal going through. 

2 minutes ago, vodouch said:

Yeah thought of that also. I've been very careful about that but if that were the case than the cable tester would at least show the colored wired correctly. There's literally no signal going through. 

Have you pin-tested the patch panel with a continuity test?  Maybe you've got a faulty panel?

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

4 minutes ago, LapsedMemory said:

Have you pin-tested the patch panel with a continuity test?  Maybe you've got a faulty panel?

Might be. I just think it's very unlikely that every segment of it is faulty. I tried the first and the last port for that reason. I'll get my multimeter tomorrow and test it out. Thanks

1 minute ago, vodouch said:

Might be. I just think it's very unlikely that every segment of it is faulty. I tried the first and the last port for that reason. I'll get my multimeter tomorrow and test it out. Thanks

Agreed it's unlikely.  Just don't know what else to try.  

Your cat 8 may be a thicker gauge wire than your patch panel was designed to handle. Check the specs for wire and patch panel. They may be incompatible

Your punch downs don't look that great. Make sure the wires a pushed all the way down. A proper spring loaded punch down tool will trim the wires flush with the terminal block also

On 12/1/2022 at 7:34 AM, Bdavis said:

Okay so you were right. The punch down tool helped its working great now I just hope I didn't break any of the pins before we'll see