BIOS Update via USB Stick / QFlash - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master (+ i7-13700K)

Maxi-Air

Hi together,

I just recently received my new Motherboard, and because its a Z690 and not a Z790 I was about to update the BIOS prior installing my CPU. I downloaded the newest version of the BIOS Software, renamed it as "GIGABYTE.BIN" and transferred it on a FAT32 formatted USB stick. I then attached my beQuiet PSU to the motherboard (including the CPU power), plugged the USB into the BIOS USB slot and powered it up. There are 4 lights lighting up, First the power button, second a small LED indicating CPU problems (no wonder, no CPU installed) and the two buttons at the back, Qflash and CMOS delete. Pressing the Qflash button didn't do anything though, as it was supposed to flash, but it just shines continuously. By now I tried 4 different USB sticks, but always the same problem. Plugging the USB stick in before or after startup. I even tried the second newest BIOS variant, still no success. Hope someone knows a solution.

Thanks in advance, kind regards, Max

• CPU: i7-13700K
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR5
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
  • Power Supply: beQuiet Straight Power 1000W
  • Case: beQuiet Dark Base 700
  • GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Vision
  • SSD: Samsung 970Evo+ 2TB M2
  • CPU cooling AIO: Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce X280

• Tried another flash drive? This process like older, USB2 drives if you have one.
  • Was the drive formatted as FAT32?
  • Are you hiding file extensions in Windows? Sometimes if you are you'll end up with a file named GIGABYTE.bin.bin and not realize it

All else fails you're going to need to try another flash drive. 

https://glennsqlperformance.com/2020/12/22/how-to-flash-a-gigabyte-motherboard-with-q-flash-plus/

6 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:
  • Tried another flash drive? This process like older, USB2 drives if you have one.
  • Was the drive formatted as FAT32?
  • Are you hiding file extensions in Windows? Sometimes if you are you'll end up with a file named GIGABYTE.bin.bin and not realize it

All else fails you're going to need to try another flash drive. 

https://glennsqlperformance.com/2020/12/22/how-to-flash-a-gigabyte-motherboard-with-q-flash-plus/

Hi there, I tried 4 different ones, all formatted to FAT32 before usage, and while I do indeed hide the file endings, its just showing as GIGABYTE, no file ending.

All 4 USB drives I tried should be USB 2.0

No one any ideas? Only option I can think of would be to buy a cheap 12th gen CPU and sell it after the BIOS update?!

Did you get it working? Try to rename file to "GIGABYTE.bin" instead of "GIGABYTE.BIN".

7 hours ago, eduard said:

Did you get it working? Try to rename file to "GIGABYTE.bin" instead of "GIGABYTE.BIN".

I believe I did, apparently the MB tries to boot or whatever once you switch on the power at the power supply and obviously can't update the BIOS anymore in that case. Basically shutting it down by keeping the power button pressed a bit. Then the standard Qflash seemed to work. I'll get my RAM hopefully tomorrow, so I'll update you all, once I get the system running.

Yes please. I was planning to get the same motherboard with the same processor so any updates are helpful 🙌