Hardware Reserved Memory 16,0 GB (7,95 GB usable) Reserved to Hardare: 8GB

Hi guys, my computer has had this problem for a while but only now have I bothered to fix it due to the lack of performance it has been giving me, not only due to having only 7.95GB usable, but also, because I don't think the dual channel is being taken advantage of.
In the BIOS the 16 GB are correctly identified.
I already checked the msconfig certinho this is all good.
I've updated and un-updated the BIOS versions.
I reset the CMOS bios.
I cleaned the RAM's with an eraser.
I have changed the position of memory sticks
I have tried buying new ones and replacing them.
I have no processor with integrated graphics

Ff you can help me I would be very grateful !!

Ryzen 5 2600X

AMD rx580 8gb

16gb 2x8 DDR4 3000Mhz

usable.png

´memory.png

cpuz.png

Can you run something like memtest? Can it test the whole 16 GB of your memory?

You can also check in the device manager, if that memory area is mapped to a device.

(open device manager -> in view select connection -> open the memory tab)

Usually if such a large amount of memory is reserved, it means that it is running in an unsupported mode.

You Ram is running at 2133 MHz. Maybe try to enable XMP on both of those dimms. Maybe it is somehow only enabled on one?

15 minutes ago, adm0n said:

Can you run something like memtest? Can it test the whole 16 GB of your memory?

You can also check in the device manager, if that memory area is mapped to a device.

(open device manager -> in view select connection -> open the memory tab)

Usually if such a large amount of memory is reserved, it means that it is running in an unsupported mode.

You Ram is running at 2133 MHz. Maybe try to enable XMP on both of those dimms. Maybe it is somehow only enabled on one?

you mean this

memory.png

Yes, but that doesn't look wrong. So The memory isn't actually hardware reserved, which makes the unsupported mode assumption more likely.

By any chance, did you ever boot your system with just one RAM stick in?

Also in CPU-Z can you go to the SPD tab and show what both of your modules report?

9 minutes ago, adm0n said:

Yes, but that doesn't look wrong. So The memory isn't actually hardware reserved, which makes the unsupported mode assumption more likely.

Also in CPU-Z can you go to the SPD tab and show what both of your modules report?

I usually use just one stick because when i use one I get 8gb usable. But when i used the second i get the 7.95 usable. 

1.png

2.png

20 minutes ago, adm0n said:

I just realized that when I put for example 3000 mhz in the xmp only 2133 mhz appear in the task manager

Which is probably also a symptom of your problem. But I don't really know what else to try. Did you ever run it without XMP?

yes, I already tried it without the xmp. I really don't understand the problem, everything worked fine before and I don't understand when it stopped working.

You should try it with memtest or just boot some kind of linux to see if the problem is within windows, or if it is a hardware failure

7 minutes ago, adm0n said:

You should try it with memtest or just boot some kind of linux to see if the problem is within windows, or if it is a hardware failure

alright, I will run the memtest, what informations should I get from that?

If it can access the full 16GB or RAM. If it can't you have some kind of hardware incompatibility.
If you can access all of it, it should be a windows problem. Then you might just need to do a clean install of windows.

18 hours ago, adm0n said:

If it can access the full 16GB or RAM. If it can't you have some kind of hardware incompatibility.
If you can access all of it, it should be a windows problem. Then you might just need to do a clean install of windows.

this was the result, i guess that's not a hardware problem...

Screenshot_2.png

i just don't understand how it can be incompatible if it worked 1 year with 16gb usable

1 hour ago, adm0n said:

It says "Range tested" : 9216MB

Which looks pretty wrong to me.

oh ok i didn't saw that. thanks 

9GB is even more confusing though : D

Since both sticks work on their own, it can't really be an actual hardware problem unless somehow your memory controller is broken?

You did try the RAM stick in both possible slots, when you ran them one at a time right?

2 hours ago, adm0n said:

9GB is even more confusing though : D

Since both sticks work on their own, it can't really be an actual hardware problem unless somehow your memory controller is broken?

You did try the RAM stick in both possible slots, when you ran them one at a time right?

if it's only one stick it does not work in the other slot, but thats because of the motherboard for sure, it's normal.

1 hour ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Reinstall windows 

are you sure? because the memtest does not anything to do with windows and it's reporting "Range tested" : 9216MB

14 minutes ago, Rodguefer said:

if it's only one stick it does not work in the other slot, but thats because of the motherboard for sure, it's normal.

I have never heard about it not working if you put them into another slot. It shouldn't matter which slot you are using. The ones that are closest to the CPU are usually better. Since you have two of those, either of them should work. If one of them doesn't work, you have a faulty connector.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have the same problem, did you manage to resolve it?