HDMI to CAT 7 not working.

UltraNerd

I have a friend who's having some issues with his HDMI to Ethernet converters. They all work fine until he connects a CAT 7 to them. Now, they are labeled ad CAT 5e/6, but we're pretty sure that's just because CAT 7 wasn't a thing when they were bought. (They're old.) He said he can't find anything on the internet about a CAT 6 compatible device not working on with a CAT 7. Is a compatibility a possibility? Or is it most likely the cable/interference/any of the other 100 things that can go wrong with a 120ft. length of cable.

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, UltraNerd said:

Is a compatibility a possibility?

Nope. There is no difference in their compatibillity. The higher the category, the better is the quality of the cable - at least in theory.

It really just means better isolation, thicker wires or better shielding. Usually CAT 7 cables have a foiled shield around each pair of wires and an additional mesh shield around all of them. 

This is what it looks like:

obr2033_p33d03e4801f4.jpg

As you can see, they all use the same four pairs of wires. If the cheapest one works, the more expensive one should work aswell.

So what could be the case with the CAT 7 cable is that it's not a geniuine CAT 7 cable or it might be defective. Sometimes companies advertise CAT5 or CAT6 cables as CAT7, even tho they're not rated for it.

Edit:
The length shouldn't be an issue at 120ft, but shouldn't be ruled out entirely. Really depends on the converters and not so much on the cable, especially when CAT5 and 6 seem to work fine. Ethernet is usually good at up to 100meters (or 328ft). Cat5e is rated for 1Gbit at 100m, Cat6a and Cat 7 at 10Gbit at 100m. Cat 7 even up to 40Gbit over 10 meters or something like that. (Not 100% sure)

Googly 👀

Is the cable a home run straight from the transmitter to the receiver, with no devices in the middle?

What kind of extender are they?

Can you get a standard network connection up over that run?

Dell owns my soul.

Was the “Cat 7” cable suspiciously cheap, or more specifically was it cheaper than a Cat 6/6a cable of the same length? Cat 7 and Cat 8 are real specifications, but they aren’t recognized by TIA/EIA and so there are a lot of cables sold as Cat 7 that would barely pass a Cat 5 test. Especially if the cable is flat.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Many HDMI to Ethernet adapters have specific length limitations. I remember some from monoprice that could only do 65 feet. Try and find the model number and look it up. 

The length has never been a problem before, even over longer runs.

No, we only have one CAT 7 cable, this isn't across multiple.

I don't know the price, but it isn't flat, and the shielding is ludicrous, so I'm pretty sure it's legit. I'll ask.

Yes, no devices/extenders in the middle.

I'm pretty sure these are Monoprice.

Also, the ends have been changed MULTIPLE times, even changed the end types out.

I'm checking in on the problem today. I'll update tomorrow. My hunch after these tips is that it's a faulty cable.

Thanks for the advice everyone!