We Forgot About Luke - Switching to Intel Arc Pt. 2

Plouffe

Part 1 of Switching to Intel Arc ended up being almost entirely hardware-related, and Luke has a lot of complaints on the software side of things only one week into the 30-day challenge. Intel usually makes software that works, just how bad could Arc Control be?

Buy an Intel Arc a770: https://geni.us/rhzygCx

Buy an Intel Arc a750: https://geni.us/thR3r

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

9 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Part 1 of Switching to Intel Arc ended up being almost entirely hardware-related, and Luke has a lot of complaints on the software side of things only one week into the 30-day challenge. Intel usually makes software that works, just how bad could Arc Control be?

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

ARC isn't ready for the primetime yet lol

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

Poor Luke.

At least he hasn't been fired 27 times like Colton. 😮 

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

I, for one, liked the way this was done, with the two separate videos, it gave each of them more time to explain the problems and their solutions to them instead of editing snippets together.

Keep it up!

I won't get an Arc GPU but I am watching closely to where they take this. I think the GPU space needs a shakeup like what's happening in the CPU space with even more players joining than Intel and AMD and doing well with ARM/RISCV.

This challenge will be like the Linux one where the month is probably too short to fix anything, but there will be a lot for Intel to fix and work on afterwards. I've been a long time Linux user and after their videos, there has certainly been a noticable change in the polish of the desktop environment!

int getRandomNumber() {

return 4;

}

And I thought Linus's solution to the pin problem was unnecessarily risky. 😕

I'm still hoping for a Linux on Arc for a day challenge, but I'll settle for a segment on WAN show on whether they thought the OG Linux challenge or this Arc challenge was easier.

To be fair. The intro is one of the best ones in a long time.

But splitting the content in two like this were a good idea in general. Gives better time to go into the depths of the individual issues and focus on their respective solutions and issues.

Also this video gives a bit of a nostalgic feeling, despite being about something literally brand new. I suspect it is the whole Luke as a host thing tingling a nerve.

I recently won a Intel NUC 12 extreme kit and an A770. Was super excited to use it as my small VR unit only to run into exactly the same issues.

Hopefully Intel’s driver that Linus has been given works as my eyes will be very much glued to the screen to find out.

Surely Intel would not give him a driver to try that does not work….

Hopefully Intel releases a driver update for VR users, I know a lot of people (including myself) who use VR and would love a GPU of this price, but not being able to use their $1000+ headset because Intel doesn't have support for it yet is an absolute deal breaker. 

As of right now, Intel is not looking great lol.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

I guess it makes sense now why some people was stuck rebooting due to the whole software being an overlay.

Thought it was just the ingame UI like other overlays, but the whole program being an overlay with so many issues?

Also that you can't download drivers from it... just redirected to their page which could cause issues in itself, as I don't trust intel that much and keep repeating.

I guess it was intel using the AMT, ME, when being on their site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwSm8GzqdBg

else its good its free software, but could be a lot better and when some of the UI can be decent in what it tries to do... at times.

I’d love to know more about the issues that were had while streaming with the encoder.

@Slick You presentation skills are fantastic and this video was way too short, I wanted to hear more!

Could you try again but with 1 PSU powering the whole system? Lets be honest 2 PSU's powering the system is a pretty unusual situation and is probably only used in mining rigs.

Differential voltages can wreak havoc on your system causing all kinds of weird (seemingly) unexplainable problems and as Luke said the PSU is so old and has been sitting on a shelf so it could've drifted way out of spec.

I'm also curious whether both PSU's were grounded together. Having differential ground of even worse a differential null is just asking for problems.

Just curious whether some of the problems (some are clearly driver related) weren't caused by Luke's PSU and not Intel.

I'm aware that this has 0 content value but maybe someone on the team could do a quick test and see if the problems are still there and then this can be discussed on the next WAN show.

Spoiler
1 hour ago, 8tg said:

Fight me, it’s cool.

1EC05DD6-D2B7-465D-B082-A9CA83FB41F7.thumb.jpeg.920076696a7b96d5257c2fb6ec64cf8c.jpeg

It certainly does look classy. No frills; just a nice, clean rectangle with rounded corners. And not 3.5 slots!

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/29/2022 at 11:28 AM, Plouffe said:

"This is remote play but we are not using steam, we are using powerpoint"

-Linus Gabriel Sebastian

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...