"First Build" Need help which ram is better

Go to solution Solved by Queen Chrysalis,
3 hours ago, MiggyAngeloP said:

I see, but wouldn't it be better to upgrade from 16gb 3200 to 32Gb 3600? since I'll be running a bunch of programs, like Android Studio and photoshop. Also for the Modded Server and Modded MC, which has more than 200/300+ mods.

Oh sure, just make sure if you want more RAM to get an identical kit to what you have.  I don't know how much RAM modded MC uses, I was under the impression that usually loads the CPU more than anything, but see how it runs, and if you are over 97% RAM util and the game is stuttering, then you could get a second 2x8 kit of Trident z 3200.

Budget (including currency): 200€

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Games

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

I bought this prebuilt mostly for studies (CS) and to play games, currently I've been wanting to create a minecraft server that can handle 200+ mods, at the same time play on this pc. At the moment I want to upgrade the RAM, I'm undecided between which two of these is better. And any recommendation for future upgrades is appreciated! 😄 (I basically want to replace 1 by 1 till I build a new pc)

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32Gb (2 x 16Gb) DDR4 3600MHz C18

or

G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32Gb (2 x 16Gb) DDR4 4000MHZ

~ PC ~

Motherboard : B550 GAMING X V2

CPU : AMD RYZEN 5 5600X

RAM : 2x8Gb G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2133 MHZ (edited : 3200Mhz)

SSD : Crucial P2 1TB PCIe M.2 2280SS SSD

GPU : AMD Radeon™ RX 6700 XT

PSU : M.RED ATX 750W - 80+BRONZE

Cooling : Watercooling M.RED AIO 240mm RGB Rainbow + 4 Fans (front & back)

Hi This is my pc 😄

~ PC ~

RAM : 2x8Gb G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2133 MHZ

Cooling : Watercooling M.RED AIO 240mm RGB Rainbow + 4 Fans

Prebuilt Ryzen with 2133MHz RAM, such incompetence by your seller.

Get the 3600MHz kit. 4000MHz is negligible and pretty sure you'd get a frame more with lower latency at such speeds than even more speed. C18 is good, haven't mentioned the spec for the other one.

Just had a look. Get the Corsair. That being said, NEO is one of the best of the best but for 40% more cost... you deffo aren't getting extra 40% in framerate.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

Is XMP enabled?  All DDR4 will run at 2133 without XMP enabled.  I don't think trident z even comes in a 2133 sku.  Go into the UEFI and see if there is preloaded XMP profile for your RAM, if not, try running a generic 2933 Profile.  It'll probably be under OC settings or something like that.

8 minutes ago, venomtail said:

Just had a look. Get the Corsair. That being said, NEO is one of the best of the best but for 40% more cost... you deffo aren't getting extra 40% in framerate.

Literally none of these make any difference when it comes to performance.  The literal cheapest SP gaming 3200MHz CL16 kits will perform exactly the same as any other 32000MHz CL16 kits and likewise.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

So like Queen Crysalis said, try to overclock your ram first. I can't remember there's a Trident z rgb that only 2133, it might be running on default. I also had old rams before that were only specified as 2400, but was able to oc at 3200 when I upgrade from intel to ryzen. That said, since you want to upgrade to a 32gb, between those two, just get whichever is cheaper. As far as I could remember the sweet spot for 5000 series is 3600mhz. If what you remember is 3200, I believe that was for 2000 and 3000 series.

10 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Is XMP enabled?  All DDR4 will run at 2133 without XMP enabled.  I don't think trident z even comes in a 2133 sku.  Go into the UEFI and see if there is preloaded XMP profile for your RAM, if not, try running a generic 2933 Profile.  It'll probably be under OC settings or something like that.

Literally none of these make any difference when it comes to performance.  The literal cheapest SP gaming 3200MHz CL16 kits will perform exactly the same as any other 32000MHz CL16 kits and likewise.

Yeah my bad, I know nothing about the xmp, I've just looked and it is indeed disabled, I've put it to profile 1, and it's showing 3200Mhz. Would it matter if I upgraded it, no?
Since I'll be using it to play games and run a server.

16 minutes ago, venomtail said:

Prebuilt Ryzen with 2133MHz RAM, such incompetence by your seller.

Get the 3600MHz kit. 4000MHz is negligible and pretty sure you'd get a frame more with lower latency at such speeds than even more speed. C18 is good, haven't mentioned the spec for the other one.

My bad, I didn't know about the xmp profile. It is 3200Mhz

Hi This is my pc 😄

~ PC ~

3 minutes ago, kitnoman said:

So like Queen Crysalis said, try to overclock your ram first. I can't remember there's a Trident z rgb that only 2133, it might be running on default. I also had old rams before that were only specified as 2400, but was able to oc at 3200 when I upgrade from intel to ryzen. That said, since you want to upgrade to a 32gb, between those two, just get whichever is cheaper. As far as I could remember the sweet spot for 5000 series is 3600mhz. If what you remember is 3200, I believe that was for 2000 and 3000 series.

Yes I've just done that, and thank you!

Hi This is my pc 😄

~ PC ~

50 minutes ago, MiggyAngeloP said:

Would it matter if I upgraded it, no?

Nah, that’s plenty fast.  You’ll see no real benefit from upgrading. Ryzen runs really bad below 2666, but running faster than that yields small improvements until about 3000MHz, then you really don’t get much of anything by running any faster.  3200MHz kits are just more commonly produced because they work better with the mem controller’s multiplier.

35 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Nah, that’s plenty fast.  You’ll see no real benefit from upgrading. Ryzen runs really bad below 2666, but running faster than that yields small improvements until about 3000MHz, then you really don’t get much of anything by running any faster.  3200MHz kits are just more commonly produced because they work better with the mem controller’s multiplier.

I see, but wouldn't it be better to upgrade from 16gb 3200 to 32Gb 3600? since I'll be running a bunch of programs, like Android Studio and photoshop. Also for the Modded Server and Modded MC, which has more than 200/300+ mods.

Hi This is my pc 😄

~ PC ~

3 hours ago, MiggyAngeloP said:

Oh sure, just make sure if you want more RAM to get an identical kit to what you have.  I don't know how much RAM modded MC uses, I was under the impression that usually loads the CPU more than anything, but see how it runs, and if you are over 97% RAM util and the game is stuttering, then you could get a second 2x8 kit of Trident z 3200.

37 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Okay I will do that! Thank you so much! Well as I've seen, It mostly uses CPU when starting, mostly uses all my CPU but that's another issue. Then It'll use the allocated RAM for it, for now I've put mine at 8Gb, and everything is working fine, atm when I'm looking at TaskM, I have 78%, 9Gb from MC and Firefox. So upgrading from 16 to 32 would be a quite nice for me. Again Thank you guys!

Hi This is my pc 😄

~ PC ~

3 minutes ago, MiggyAngeloP said:

I have 78%, 9Gb from MC and Firefox. So upgrading from 16 to 32 would be a quite nice for me.

So wait, are you only at 9GB total usage with all mods loaded?  Then you really would see no benefit from more RAM. Having extra RAM that is unused doesn't make anything faster.

Or is that before you load mods?  When your total RAM usage is above 15GB, that's when you might start seeing a real benefit from adding RAM.

4 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

So wait, are you only at 9GB total usage with all mods loaded?  Then you really would see no benefit from more RAM. Having extra RAM that is unused doesn't make anything faster.

Or is that before you load mods?  When your total RAM usage is above 15GB, that's when you might start seeing a real benefit from adding RAM.

9Gb in total without the server, I would allocate atleast another 8Gb for the server, cause im a nerd.

When loading the Modpack, It uses around 95% CPU and 5Gb RAM. Both MC and Server uses 5Gb each, with the others I'm at 15.3Gb, just tested rn. This is while I'm just starting them both up. I still haven't played a lot with the modpack, no explosions or any big machineries, nor automation.

Hi This is my pc 😄

~ PC ~

3 minutes ago, MiggyAngeloP said:

9Gb in total without the server, I would allocate atleast another 8Gb for the server, cause im a nerd.

When loading the Modpack, It uses around 95% CPU and 5Gb RAM. Both MC and Server uses 5Gb each, with the others I'm at 15.3Gb, just tested rn. This is while I'm just starting them both up. I still haven't played a lot with the modpack, no explosions or any big machineries, nor automation.

Oh ok, gocha.