Corsair H100i Elite AIO issues... or not? i5-13600kf @100° in Cinebench

Hey Guys

So I just built my new system. It contains:

i5-13600kf (125W TDP, 6P Cores, 8E Cores, 20 Threads)

MSI Z690 Pro A

RTX 3080 MSI Ventus 3x 

Team Group DDR5 Ram - XMP1 @ 6400

Case: be quiet pure base 500dx

and crucially the Corsair H100i Elite AIO - top mounted - 240mm

This is my first watercooled system.

Building the system worked like a charm. No issues until I started cinebench.

In idle temperatures were around 34° which is 9° above ambient temperature.

When I start Cinebench multicore temperatures imediately reach 88°C and within 30 seconds some of them reach 100°C so I guess there is something wrong... or not? Could this be normal for raptor lake cpus when hitting all cores? After turning off cinebench the cores are back to 39°C immediately. ICUE picks up the AIO and for me everthying looks okay, profiles are working, fans spool up and down and I dont hear any pump or water noises.

Here are some assumptions I made, that may or may not be true. Maybe you can tell me which is worth trying out or maybe you can even tell me what to do instead.

1: Preapplied thermalpaste sucks? Repaste?

2: Are the intel lga 1700 standoff screw threads assymetrical? (didnt look like) Did I put them in upside down? Everything felt properly tightened to me. 

3: Did I mess up the wiring? I dont have a 24pin connector. There were just the two 4-Pin fan connectors which end in some kind of strange Y-Cable. Its powered over sata and has a ucb-c end which goes to the pump and a 3-Pin Fan connector where only one port (the right one) is populated. I put this connector on the cpu-fan-header  (Edit: Not the Case - wiring is correct)

Furthermore I didnt even find the correct manual for my AIO. All the manuals I found refer to models with the 24pin connector (Elite Capellix) which need the commander core.

I attached some images, maybe you can help me figuring out what I am working with here. 

(Edit: Found, Images removed  - https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/WW_iCUE_H100i_H115i_H150i_ELITE_SERIES_QSG_AA.pdf)

Furthermore I hope to figure this out soon because I can still return the AIO for some days.

Thank you guys

KugelVanHamster

i would install hwinfo and see if the pump is even working and of course double checking the mount would also be important

Yes the pump seems to work. HWInfo and ICUE display 2500rpm in idle. Seems okay to me.

can you see the fliud temp in icue ? is so you can check if the fliud even gets hot at all or is hot already when starting to stresstest the cpu

also in what header are fans and pump plugged ? aio fans should be in cpu header and aio pump in cpu opt

Go through your BIOS and see if your board's version of multi-core enhancement is turned on. I've got a Phanteks MP280 sitting on a 12600K with that nonsense turned off as well as a modified voltage/boost table (at least, as modified as my incredibly stupid board will do since it doesn't really listen), and with it sitting at 4.5GHz? on performance cores and 3.9 on efficiency cores or something to that effect, the highest I see under any extended load with a 23-26C ambient is high-70s with random little spikes into the bottom 80s.

I'm sure I could make it cooler but I run my pump low for noise and my fan curve peaks at 700RPM at 80C lol

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

@CasoF13

My AIO doesnt have normal headers, it has JUSB connector to connect via usb inside the case and it has that crippled 3PIN connector with only one pin connected (the right one, i put it on the cpu header). Pump is drive over a usb-c jack and power over sata, the fans are connected to this weird Y-Cable. Durinng my 2 Minute benchmark the watertemperature went from 31°C to 35°C

@flibberdipper

I tried out disabling Turbo Enhance which seems to be the msi version of multicore enhancement. There were no differences to having it turned on. 13600kf is sitting at 4,6ghz under all core duty eitherwise. Still hits 88° right away and goes up to 100°C. The coolant went from 31°C to 35°C.

I just realised that my bios doesnt report the pump to be working. It says 0 rpm. Do pumps turn off?

EDIT: NVM it shows pump rpm as cpu rpm. (2500rpm) Maybe i should switch that single pin thingy to the pump header

@CasoF13

Yeah, i will go and buy some thermalpaste tomorrow to test it.

But since my bios doesnt know whats going right now i hope that switching from cpu header to pump header can solve it.

5 minutes ago, KugelVanHamster said:

I just realised that my bios doesnt report the pump to be working. It says 0 rpm. Do pumps turn off?

EDIT: NVM it shows pump rpm as cpu rpm. (2500rpm) Maybe i should switch that single pin thingy to the pump header

@CasoF13

Yeah, i will go and buy some thermalpaste tomorrow to test it.

But since my bios doesnt know whats going right now i hope that switching from cpu header to pump header can solve it.

i too need to go to bed but i hope that it helps. also what you also could watch in the bios is if the bios thinks the aio pump similar to a fan which sometimes means (from own experience) that the board in silent mode would slown down fans or maybe even stop them what of course is dangerous if its the pump and not the fans

So according to this manual, which somehow fits to my AIO, the fan header is in its correct position when placed on cpu_fan1. So everthing is wired correctly.

https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/WW_iCUE_H100i_H115i_H150i_ELITE_SERIES_QSG_AA.pdf

Looking at the attached images, i think the lga 1700 standoffs are symmetrical so turning them around wont change anything i guess, but I will try out.

But after that I am out of ideas.

lga1700 standoff.png

Soo i did some more testing. I repasted the corsair h100i and managed to get the p-cores down to 95°C while Cinebench, e-cores are around 80°C

Cortemp displays up to 220w powerdraw while cinebench, but mostly around 200W.

Soo i did a 3D mark timespy and this is the result.

CPU mostly at 50° with a spike to 80° at last. Is this normal now?

I reached out to Intel, they say they would replace it anyways (possibility of ihs bending / ihs contact issues). I talked to corsair, they will replace as well. But could it be that these 95° during cinebench has something to do with raptor lake in general?

image.thumb.png.05b81ac134f179b0871e6e42f367a199.png