They sent this for a sponsorship. I reviewed it instead lol – Logitech G Cloud

James

Buy a Logitech G Cloud: https://geni.us/RJnxyHO

Buy a Steam Deck:https://lmg.gg/zyKDA

Buy an Amazon Fire HD 8”: https://geni.us/TS6m09

The G Cloud is a handheld gaming device from Logitech that's specifically designed for game streaming...other than that it's just an android tablet with a built in controller. I originally thought there was no way this thing could compete with the Steam Deck or other handhelds from Aya or OneXPlayer, but now that I've used it....I think maybe it could 😐

Is it just me, or does Linus seem overly negative about the SteamDeck? 

I've never had an issue with fan noise on my SteamDeck, in fact you can barely hear the fan at all! And the speakers get so loud it can easily overpower the fan noise at pretty low levels

And about the screen, given Linus' recent rant about bitrate over resolution with YouTube, surely a higher bitrate 800p stream would be better than a lower bitrate 1080p stream? There isn't really that much difference between the two resolutions on such a small screen anyway.

As for the size of the SteamDeck, as someone with biggish hands, I would honestly prefer it to be a bit thiccer! I've added a relatively chonky case to mine and it's made it so much nicer to hold for longer periods of time

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

IMO, this is quite terrible product for the price. Unless you're going to use it only at home when connected to WiFi you also need to count the price for mobile data. Not sure about USA but I pay about 10eur for 10GB and that's with a discount from my work otherwise I would pay 7eur for 1GB. So it's quite useless when traveling or I would end up paying more for data than for games if you play a lot when traveling. And that's also assuming your mobile data is fast enough and stable. Going trough a tunnel when traveling by train and you're immediately disconnected.

This device is so niche with so many downsides and so late to the market that I really don't know who will buy it.

20 minutes ago, WereCat said:

IMO, this is quite terrible product for the price. Unless you're going to use it only at home when connected to WiFi you also need to count the price for mobile data. Not sure about USA but I pay about 10eur for 10GB and that's with a discount from my work otherwise I would pay 7eur for 1GB. So it's quite useless when traveling or I would end up paying more for data than for games if you play a lot when traveling. And that's also assuming your mobile data is fast enough and stable. Going trough a tunnel when traveling by train and you're immediately disconnected.

This device is so niche with so many downsides and so late to the market that I really don't know who will buy it.

I paid £18 for unlimited data until recently (I switched to a contract as it was cheaper than buying my Flip4 outright). I use my Steamdeck on the bus all the time, which is around 2 hours each way. Luckily I either get very good 4G, or 5G along the entire 30 mile route so it's not an issue. In my town centre I can get about 800mbps with about 20ms ping, which is the same ping as I can get with my fake Fibre at home.

I think Linus gave the real solution in the video, get yourself a Fire Tablet and a controller attachment thing, and you'll be up and running for a quarter of the price of the G Cloud. 

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

1 hour ago, yolosnail said:

Is it just me, or does Linus seem overly negative about the SteamDeck? 

I've never had an issue with fan noise on my SteamDeck, in fact you can barely hear the fan at all! And the speakers get so loud it can easily overpower the fan noise at pretty low levels

And about the screen, given Linus' recent rant about bitrate over resolution with YouTube, surely a higher bitrate 800p stream would be better than a lower bitrate 1080p stream? There isn't really that much difference between the two resolutions on such a small screen anyway.

As for the size of the SteamDeck, as someone with biggish hands, I would honestly prefer it to be a bit thiccer! I've added a relatively chonky case to mine and it's made it so much nicer to hold for longer periods of time

Haven't had an issue with fan noise either, although I saw a recent video comparing a Q3 deck to a launch deck.  One of the notes is the newer fans are quieter.

9 minutes ago, googlematt said:

Haven't had an issue with fan noise either, although I saw a recent video comparing a Q3 deck to a launch deck.  One of the notes is the newer fans are quieter.

This is actually my 3rd Steam Deck, the first 2 were from the launch and I do think they were a bit louder, but really not by much, and my new one I got in September.

I originally pre-ordered a 256GB, my first one was faulty, but after getting it replaced and testing it I realised a 64GB with MicroSD would actually be just as good, I put an order in for a 64GB, and it came through much faster than expected! 

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

I'm happy with my Steam Deck. Enjoying the Linux environment on it, have my music and such all loaded up and everything. Only thing I want to do is replace the SSD with a higher capacity unit, but that's a project for another time.

The big thing I do really like about my deck is that I can plop it on a dock and hook an external display up to it. It works well, and with a keyboard and mouse, I've got something portable that can game and be useful outside of just gaming.

14 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

and it came through much faster than expected!

That's what SHE said! 😮 

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Multiple posts ago, I've made some opinions on that piece of Android tablet with controllers.

And I still stand by my words: It kinda didn't make sense, compared to just putting a controller on an Android phone.

At least this time Razer rebranded the Razer Edge, their new smartphone with pre-bundled Kishi, as an "Android handheld" instead of just a streaming console, and could potentially make the G Cloud look slow in comparison. At least they brought back the new Razer Phone that we've been waiting for.

6 hours ago, yolosnail said:

There is local streaming and internet streaming, local streaming gains the most from the higher resolution, but I found internet streaming to be good enough for sure to want the higher res.

Also watching vids is not the same as seeing details in games. 

I personally do not like the Steamdeck at all, in fact I think I'm actually a hater.

To be clear, I think the Steamdeck is a great buy for many people interested in it, it does so many things right, and it has a great impact on Linux gaming. Of course it's cheap, repairability is solid, and good hardware.

However I do not like the form factor, it's too large and thick, I want something smaller. I really like the GPD Win4, much smaller, keyboard and looks to be a better fit for a pocket.

But why would I hate a device for not having the right form factor? Well I don't. I'm a hater because of the price. This might sound insane, but the price is too damn low.

Steam can sell these at a loss or a very small profit margin, because they will make it back by selling you games. Just like MS and Sony.

The issue is that they took control of the handheld PC market by grabbing it hy the balls, no other company can compete really. Sure I like the Win4, but it will 2-3x the price, they are basically killing the competition.

This video is proof of that, the constant comparison with the Steamdeck, even though the real competitor is the thing you have on you at all times, a device you already bought.

As a Nacon MG-X Pro user, I can tell you that this Logitech product offers me jack shit, I would never buy it, and if I did want a dedicated handheld, I'd just buy a Steamdeck.

This device could've survived in a space without the Steamdeck, because it would be way cheaper than GPD, Aya etc devices. But with it, between phone controllers and Steamdeck, this product is just DOA.

Anyway I found it to be really silly that Linus didn't compare it more to phones.

8 hours ago, yolosnail said:

There isn't really that much difference between the two resolutions on such a small screen anyway.

This.

I have good eyes and I can barely tell the difference in 720p vs 1080p on a 6.5" phone screen (mostly in super small text). Having "downgraded" from a 1080p phone to a 720p phone, this is one thing I don't miss at all

• 2 weeks later...

I would love if they release an "extreme" edition with a better and more efficient processor (Snapdragon 782G, 860 or 870 comes to mind) that can not only function as a streaming device but also a capable android gaming handheld in its own right.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."