Iphone 5 botched repair, where do i go from here?

thDel

Hi Guys, 

A few years ago i tried to replace the dead battery and cracked screen of my old iphone 5, i ordered an ifixit kit but accidentally only ordered the battery not the screen. I decided to atill attempt the repair with a broken screen then order the new screen later, but because the screen was already cracked it seperated as i took it off making it ocmpletely unusable.

forgot about it for a few years untill i found the phone in a drawer. I had left it in the draw opened up with the new battery installed but no screen. I decided i may as well fix it and give it to my brother, so i bought the cheapest screen i could find on ali express. It came a few days ago and looked pretty legit, even came with a screen protector and set of tools. (link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003804289520.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.5ee818026z1mvh) 

So i opened up an ifixit guide, and installed the new screen. As i did so i realised the metal plate that covers the screen ribbon cables (see image) was missing as well as the two Penta lobe screws. I decided to continiue wiht putting the screen on and plugged in the phone. Even plugged into power, the phone wont show any signs of life. I think its accepting charge as the batter heated up a bit after a while on charge (not excessively hot, as you would expect form any phone on charge), but holding down the power button does nothing. 

image.png.805901cdfb36680ed4db54824166855d.png

What are my next steps? I dont want to spend too much more money on it. Is it a lost cause? Are there any simple things i could try?

Cheers. Del

1 hour ago, thDel said:

Hi Guys, 

A few years ago i tried to replace the dead battery and cracked screen of my old iphone 5, i ordered an ifixit kit but accidentally only ordered the battery not the screen. I decided to atill attempt the repair with a broken screen then order the new screen later, but because the screen was already cracked it seperated as i took it off making it ocmpletely unusable.

forgot about it for a few years untill i found the phone in a drawer. I had left it in the draw opened up with the new battery installed but no screen. I decided i may as well fix it and give it to my brother, so i bought the cheapest screen i could find on ali express. It came a few days ago and looked pretty legit, even came with a screen protector and set of tools. (link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003804289520.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.5ee818026z1mvh) 

So i opened up an ifixit guide, and installed the new screen. As i did so i realised the metal plate that covers the screen ribbon cables (see image) was missing as well as the two Penta lobe screws. I decided to continiue wiht putting the screen on and plugged in the phone. Even plugged into power, the phone wont show any signs of life. I think its accepting charge as the batter heated up a bit after a while on charge (not excessively hot, as you would expect form any phone on charge), but holding down the power button does nothing. 

image.png.805901cdfb36680ed4db54824166855d.png

What are my next steps? I dont want to spend too much more money on it. Is it a lost cause? Are there any simple things i could try?

Cheers. Del

Have you tried holding down the power button to turn it on?

25 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Have you tried holding down the power button to turn it on?

Lol yes

When I find an old half finished project that I don’t know what to do with i sell the thing online.  I’ve even got one in the classifieds atm.  Sort of surprised it wasn’t snapped up actually. It’s a great and cheap way to make a loud video card quiet. I just went another way for mine.

that one would probably go on eBay as “broken for parts”.  Get a few bucks out of it.  Not a total loss.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

metal plate is not important, you probably have a dead battery (0V) if you charge it for longer, maybe(small one) it will turn on. Iphone 5 is not worth repairing