Let's compile a list of mice that have optical switches AND an optical scroll wheel encoder!

midix

As the title says - please comment if you know a mouse that has "everything optical" - the left & right button switches and the scroll wheel encoder.

Currently, I have found only one:

Cooler Master MM730

There should be more. I hope.

The long story.

As many of you have experienced, modern mice often have cheap components and in about 2 years they might start either double-clicking, losing text selection accuracy and start dropping items in the middle of dragging, or their scroll wheel might wear out and start misbehaving. It is expected from a cheap sub-10$ mouse. But when you pay more than 20$ you feel disappointed to treat your beloved mouse as a disposable. It's especially bad when it starts misbehaving while you do some "important stuff", such as deploying a software service to a production server with 10k users.

What I noticed is that the scroll wheel lasts much longer on mice with an optical scroll wheel encoder. Actually, I never have experienced a misbehaving optical scroll wheel during my 20 years of PC user experience. Ok, they might get gunky or their rubber might get sticky and disintegrate in a year or two (looking at Logitech G102) but you can fix it without soldering. However, the positive experience might come from the fact that usually these mice start misclicking in a few years, so I have no idea how long their optical scroll wheel would last.

The mechanical scroll wheel encoder barely lasts 2 years for me, on every mouse I have had. Judging by reviews of Steelseries and Razer mice (even those premium gaming models with optical switches), their scroll wheel might start malfunctioning even in just a few months!

I have no experience with optical switches in mice, but I thought it would be good to find a mouse that has both goodies - optical button switches (at least for left & right click buttons) AND an optical encoder.  However, it turned out to be not an easy task to find one. While manufacturers brag about mechanical switches, they rarely mention the scroll wheel encoder. So with some excitement, I searched for teardown reviews of the most popular mice with optical switches - Steelseries Prime, Razer Viper and Deathadder, Roccat Burst - but was disappointed to find out that all of them have mechanical scroll wheel encoder, which, judging by complaints on Amazon and Reddit, have failed too soon for quite a few people.

Now I have found only Cooler Master MM730 but I've yet to read reviews to see if it's any good - it might have some other issues. So, it would be great to have people chime in and mention other options for those who are in search of a potentially long-lasting "all-optical" mouse.

• 2 months later...