New RX 6600 rattling-like noise at medium fan speeds

MaleficWelter

Finally got a new dGPU after 12 years. MSI Radeon RX 6600 Mech 2X 8GB.

I have noticed this strange rattling-like noise (just noticed a similar post from 2 weeks ago but I do not think the sound is similar).

First I thought maybe some cable got in there but there were no obstructions. I do not think it is coil whine, watched a few coil whine videos. Also, [this explanation](https://youtu.be/jtXAuIJchps?t=55) coil whine results during high load but I can get this noise with no load by just ramping up the fans.

When the fans ramp up (during gaming), the rattling starts at ~2000 RPM, ~50% fan speed. It is not instantaneous, I could be playing for an hour without hearing it and then all of a sudden there it is and if I keep on gaming it will eventually stop as well.

The temperature is consistently ~55 °C and the Junction temperature at ~65 °C when playing games. When not playing I never hear the noise, but the temperatures are under 30 °C at ~1000 RPM.

I can manually raise the fans to 100% ~2800 RPM but by that time the fans are blowing so loudly that it is hard to hear the extra noise.

Here is a link to an AAC audio file, if the original WAV file is needed I can upload it somewhere.

https://on.soundcloud.com/4ZbTj

I really hope it is coil whine...

In my experience, it's just lower quality fans, some are worse than the others due to manufacturing tolerances. My Asus TUF 6800 XT has this issue at >2800 RPM, it actually shakes the glass side panel a bit (I have the gpu vertically mounted).

If your temps are that low, you don't need to run them at aggressive fan curve, tune the fan curve to be more silent therefore you won't hear the noise unless it gets very hot.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

Try taking the fans off, and using some wd40 on it. It might help a bit.

Please mark as solved if I answered your question.

@Dukesilver27-

Okay so it should not prematurely die or anything, just that the fans are cheap? That would be a load off my mind!

Might I ask what would be a good fan curve? I saw this post

and the fan curve recommended to them looks a bit like mine already.

I know people say don't worry about temperature until components hit 105 °C but I tend to be quite conservative. Prior to the GPU, everything in my system was at 30 °C except PCH which was at 50 °C and all fans were at lowest possible setting.

Would this be okay?

image.png.5a4d0e89d34ea1de93a0da552e377a8f.png

@Chikensoops

I do not think I am brave enough to try that, would probably void the warranty and I am definitely not well enough financially that I could just write it off. I'll keep that in mind for the future though.

Fans are quite durable, we bought rather budget models of our respective GPUs, so it is the price we pay for cheaper models.

Anyway, fan curve is really depending on you, as long as you are satisfied with the noise and temperature ratio, it should be fine.

Performance won't drop when the temps are below 95C.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

44 minutes ago, MaleficWelter said:

I do not think I am brave enough to try that, would probably void the warranty and I am definitely not well enough financially that I could just write it off. I'll keep that in mind for the future though.

Ok then. I'm pretty sure taking off fans won't void the warranty, but I guess it's different for each manufacturer. I have tried using wd40 on rattly/scratchy fans, and they did work, so yea maybe you should try that once you've confirmed that it won't void warranty.

Please mark as solved if I answered your question.

Okay that is strange. I contacted my reseller just to let them know I heard something but that I was not sure if it really was an issue and it definitely was not a warranty/RMA message. While waiting I reinstalled the drivers and now I cannot get it to make the noise manually. It still happens while gaming but nowhere near as loud.

@Dukesilver27-

I totally get what you are saying. However, there's that part of my brain that bought a GPU 12 years ago and the one that bought one a couple weeks ago saying the GPU prices and budget just does not compute even with inflation.

I'd love my temps to be 30 °C like everything else but I know that is unrealistic. I know a lot of people say that really high temps are fine but I want this thing to last me another 12 years and do not know if letting it be on the warmer side will put that chance in my favour. I saw a forum post where someone said if temperature is 70 °C or higher, you will have to repaste once a year. Not really something I'm looking forward to while under warranty.

@Chikensoops

No, I am 100% sure it will not void the warranty and I'm pretty sure Linus and others have made that point numerous times before. I just do not want to deal with the song and dance of them trying to prove I did something wrong because I removed the not legally binding void sticker on the back.

It really is a financial issue. I've taken apart a lot of PC components/electronics in the past without issue, but then again, it's never come down to: I dropped the GPU and cracked something, hmm...buy a new GPU or buy food for the next two months? I am just a bit cautious at the moment, is all.