my first two sata ports don't work at all

xdagamer

so as i can see my first 2 sata ports don't work and running pcie lanes at 4x which is optimal for nvme drive will leave me with only 2, i wonder why this is happening board seems fine in all other regard and i don't see anything unusual too, though the drive i will be putting in the m.2 slot is a sata one i'm confused about a nvme upgrade later down the line.

It depends on the motherboard manufacturer how it designs the motherboard. 

The chipset creates a limited number of pci-e lanes. The motherboard maker has the option to disable a few sata ports so that the pci-e lanes that would normally go within the chipset to the integrated sata controller can now be used for pci-e slots or m.2 connectors. 

Look in the manual, it will explain which sata ports get disabled and under what circumstances.

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It depends on the motherboard manufacturer how it designs the motherboard. 

The chipset creates a limited number of pci-e lanes. The motherboard maker has the option to disable a few sata ports so that the pci-e lanes that would normally go within the chipset to the integrated sata controller can now be used for pci-e slots or m.2 connectors. 

Look in the manual, it will explain which sata ports get disabled and under what circumstances.

it says only slot 5 & 6 get disabled if running at x4, the first 2 ports that don't work by default are beside sata express i wonder if that has anything to do with it slightly confused about the wording in manual.

Well, you don't say the motherboard so I can only assume it's the one in your description 

The manual is here : https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-A/E10611_Z170-A_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

stupid asus disabled copy ... so screenshots it is. 

page 7 ... it tells you use pci-e x16_3 shares bandwidth with sata 5 and 6 ... the default is pci-e 3.0 x2, but I guess you can go in bios and enable x4 mode, but then the sata ports get disabled.

image.png.87983e178c5b50ea6448ed7c448c6976.png

then moving on at page  8 ... change this item ... where you change things? In bios ... so I'd look at disabling sata express if you need to put a SATA ssd into a m.2 connector. 

image.png.a974fe9f837132912a1940947a0e97c2.png

page 36 

again, it only says about if you use a m.2 sata ssd into the m.2 connector, then you can't use sata express (the two sata ports, sata 1 and sata 2 )

image.png.0a3c7d5e7fa685f6e8a548dac2234cfd.png

page 40 .. again, if you install a SATA M.2 ssd into that bottom m.2 connector, it will mess up the sata express... so you have to go in bios and say you want that m.2 to be sata, and disable sata express. 

image.png.a2f826ecee0a6e483f1392ff4a29802a.png

pages 90-91 tell you bios menu about sata ports 

image.png.bf81657f2d7a4d50006228b9e51345f4.png

image.png.e5800ae644ccc41ef010e6e514e9f728.png

24 minutes ago, mariushm said:

(snip)

doesn't help anything, why on earth would disable first two sata ports then if you put an nvme another 2, that doesn't sound healthy or reasonable giving 6 ports is pretty much useless then. Does it mean  with m.2 sata 4 sata ports and with nvme ssd 2 sata ports? i am hoping that's the case because in future i might populate all my 6 sata ports