Work at home & gaming station

Hugo9909

Hi! 

First of all, sorry if posting in the wrong sub-forum. New to the page. 🙂

I'm currently building myself a work at home / game at night station in one of the appartment rooms. I've come rather far and plan to post a start-to-end summary in the the forums later on. 

I'm currently stuck right now though, I've got one laptop for work and one PC for gaming, but only one setup of mouse + keyboard & 1-2 displays. Is there anyway I can streamline this in a good way without loosing all to much performance, so I don't have to re-arrange the cables when working/gaming?

Grateful for any tips,

Thank you! 

41 minutes ago, Hugo9909 said:

I'm currently stuck right now though, I've got one laptop for work and one PC for gaming, but only one setup of mouse + keyboard & 1-2 displays. Is there anyway I can streamline this in a good way without loosing all to much performance, so I don't have to re-arrange the cables when working/gaming?

Sounds like a KVM (keyboard vide mouse) switch would solve your problem.
No messing around with the cables, you connect everything once and just push a button to switch your monitor and peripherals between your PC & laptop.

If you'd like a recommendation for a suitable KVM for your setup you will have to specify how many monitors, at which resolutions and refresh rates... Also which video outputs are available on your desktop & laptop, as well as which inputs your monitor(s) support (HMDI or DP or USB-C).

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

Yep. A kvm is what you need. I grabbed a cheap $15 usb kvm that let's me use my same keyboard and mouse on both my work setup (laptop and docking station) and my home pc. I just have to press a button on it to toggle the inputs. 

Most of WFH setup cases, the company-provided laptop system or PC system will not be allowed to loading or adding drivers or applications without permissions from the company's IT.   As the result, a hardware KVM switch will be the best pick for this case.