Trying to launch DayZ and getting the message "The code execution . ."

haiste_repair

System error.  "the code execution cannot proceed because was not found.  Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."  I am helping someone troubleshoot, who of course does not know how to fix this problem or have a willingness to post to forums to ask communities.  This error pops up when using the DayZ launcher and trying to join a server.  

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  Steam has been reinstalled, so the user says.  I have the PC at the moment.  Currently doing a uninstall/reinstall of DayZ from within Steam.  

Thanks!

The error message seems incomplete. It should read something like

"The code execution cannot proceed because <Some Filename> was not found."

It would be important to know what Some Filename is, because that's an indication what you need to repair. E.g. it might be a DLL from the driver that's missing, which means the driver installation is broken, or some other DLL that indicates a runtime is missing etc.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

23 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

The error message seems incomplete. It should read something like

"The code execution cannot proceed because <Some Filename> was not found."

It would be important to know what Some Filename is, because that's an indication what you need to repair. E.g. it might be a DLL from the driver that's missing, which means the driver installation is broken, or some other DLL that indicates a runtime is missing etc.

It doesn't actually say anything in that space.  Which is odd, I know.  

315961320_1306212563544203_8116647939386247907_n.jpg

1 hour ago, haiste_repair said:

It doesn't actually say anything in that space.  Which is odd, I know.  

Odd indeed. You could try checking Windows EventViewer, maybe there's something useful in there.

Not sure if the game writes error logs, but might be something else to look for.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Has reinstalling the program worked? 

If not, uninstall, find all files that would associate, and delete them. 

Then restart, reinstall and try again. 

Steam discussions might have some threads if this is happening for other people all the sudden. 

Synthesizer thread:

LTT Fan Fiction:

1 hour ago, fpo said:

Has reinstalling the program worked? 

If not, uninstall, find all files that would associate, and delete them. 

Then restart, reinstall and try again. 

Steam discussions might have some threads if this is happening for other people all the sudden. 

I will try this, thanks.  I just did a reinstall within Steam and planned to try this out next.  

7 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Odd indeed. You could try checking Windows EventViewer, maybe there's something useful in there.

Not sure if the game writes error logs, but might be something else to look for.

There is an error code generated by the DayZ launcher, but it redirects to a crash report for the developers to log.  No advice I have found outside of convoluted instructions in forum posts with no follow up.  

10 minutes ago, haiste_repair said:

I will try this, thanks.  I just did a reinstall within Steam and planned to try this out next.  

Sometimes left over files cause issues. 

Synthesizer thread:

LTT Fan Fiction:

43 minutes ago, fpo said:

Sometimes left over files cause issues. 

I'll report back later today, thanks.  

4 hours ago, haiste_repair said:

I'll report back later today, thanks.  

well, reinstall should actually fix something like this,  but its surely a weird error message...hopefully it works out!

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

well, reinstall should actually fix something like this,  but its surely a weird error message...hopefully it works out!

Well I am currently back running it and it appears to be stuck downloading mod updates.  I should note I have no idea how to play/run DayZ.  It does not seem like a pick and go game, though maybe I am missing something.  It feels a little broken, to be honest.  

8 minutes ago, haiste_repair said:

I should note I have no idea how to play/run DayZ. 

oh, i dont either. 

but i mod every game i play, and this seems strange: 

8 minutes ago, haiste_repair said:

appears to be stuck downloading mod updates.

are these mods required or something?  because usually if you're trying to fix a game you don't want any mods... obviously. 

so idk, if those mods aren't mandatory,  id definitely reverse that process if possible.  or did in run alright already and your just downloading some mods after confirming the error message doesn't come up anymore? 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

oh, i dont either. 

but i mod every game i play, and this seems strange: 

are these mods required or something?  because usually if you're trying to fix a game you don't want any mods... obviously. 

so idk, if those mods aren't mandatory,  id definitely reverse that process if possible.  or did in run alright already and your just downloading some mods after confirming the error message doesn't come up anymore? 

I restarted the game and the mods were enabled, which is great but also unexpected.  So, then I tried joining a server and kept getting kicked out for not changing my name.  This kept happening after changing my name.  The person who owns the PC I was helping troubleshoot knows how to get past this roadblock, the main thing is that I was able to get it to load up.  So, I have no idea what to do next but the original problem was solved from an uninstall, removal of all DayZ files, and reinstall.  I have wanted to try this game out since it launched, but I think I am going to leave it be until I have the time to sit down and figure it out.  It's an . . interesting experience.  

9 minutes ago, haiste_repair said:

I restarted the game and the mods were enabled, which is great but also unexpected.  So, then I tried joining a server and kept getting kicked out for not changing my name.  This kept happening after changing my name.  The person who owns the PC I was helping troubleshoot knows how to get past this roadblock, the main thing is that I was able to get it to load up.  So, I have no idea what to do next but the original problem was solved from an uninstall, removal of all DayZ files, and reinstall.  I have wanted to try this game out since it launched, but I think I am going to leave it be until I have the time to sit down and figure it out.  It's an . . interesting experience.  

ah, ok so it seems fixed as i thought...

well since idk the game either,  and that's another thing that sounds "strange"... you should be careful with creating a new name... if its like other online games that might wipe out all previous progress... you should definitely ask the owner if it's ok to make a new name before you do ... just saying lol.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

18 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

ah, ok so it seems fixed as i thought...

well since idk the game either,  and that's another thing that sounds "strange"... you should be careful with creating a new name... if its like other online games that might wipe out all previous progress... you should definitely ask the owner if it's ok to make a new name before you do ... just saying lol.

It was as per his directions, I don't think anything was affected.  Thanks for your input!