We Downgraded our Computers – Switching to Intel Arc Pt. 1

AlexTheGreatish
It's only a "downgrade" compared to people who already have the fastest GPUs. If you're upgrading from a 750ti and you're in the market for a new affordable card and you want to support a 3rd party vendor, there you go.

oh yeah oof, people posting about being stuck due to intel bugs.

some UI that locks you out of the computer and restart, some with the overlay that is attached to the screen and mouse.

Too many restrictive uses of software on your system, god knows what other things intel do. Like when they had the "malware" on their own site if you used intel hardware. So I guess it wasn't just LTT having issues, but a lot of serious ones to deal with.

Once you go ARC you never will bark.

current computer specs (for the curious) /

Gigabyte B450M-DS3H V2 motherboard / AMD Ryzen 5 3600 cpu / 32GB DDR4 3200MHz ram / ASRock AMD Radeon RX 6600 8GB gfx card /

EVGA 650GQ psu / 500GB Kingston NV1 NVME SSD + 240GB SanDisk SSD Plus SATA SSD + 1TB WD10EZEX HDD storage

I'm not meaning to hate on the Intel GPUs, I genuinely hope they get better and plan on getting an 380 for encoding. But I couldn't help but think of this meme.

arc challenge meme.jpg

Welp, I put my money where my mouth is and bought an AMD GPU to fight the big green monster. I'm pretty happy with my 6600 XT, actually, and it was significantly less expensive than a comparable nvidia card.

I would have bought Arc, but I have a strict policy against buying first generation products.

doingmypart.webp

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

I briefly considered buying one but it seems you have to have a 10th gen (or better) Intel CPU....

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Has the arc gaming livestream with Luke been posted anywhere? I’m not seeing it on floatplane.

Edit: found it

On 11/22/2022 at 3:05 PM, rcmaehl said:

Glad they showed that a reinstall wasn't needed but I hate that the video puts the "reinstall" thought in potential Intel ARC users' heads.

Hey, there is no software problem that can't be resolved by re-installing Windows.

Is it an extreme option?  Sure.  But it fixes almost everything when nothing else works.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

12 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I briefly considered buying one but it seems you have to have a 10th gen (or better) Intel CPU....

Requiring Resizable-BAR is a huge oversight by Intel, since it limits the amount of potential customers.

My CPU doesn't support it either, and my GTX 1660 significantly outperforms it in DX11 and DX9 - Which are the APIs used in 95% of the 2300 games in my library.

And in addition to that there are the unstable drivers... 

And the prices are not competitive, in my country it's more expensive than the RTX 3060 and the 3060 Ti.

I don't see a reason to buy those cards at the moment.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

4 hours ago, Vishera said:

Requiring Resizable-BAR is a huge oversight by Intel, since it limits the amount of potential customers.

I would not be surprised if it is a side effect of building the GPU based on the iGPU IP and driver stack.  iGPUs as they are on die are typically not limited in address space they can access (assuming it has been assigned to the GPU with the MMU).  Without Re-BAR the GPU would need to have extra steps in its memory controller to effectively deal with the address space limitation.   It's possible that these GPUs just do not have that support in hardware and are requiring that to do done at a software level (possibly even on the cpu side in drivers). 

5 hours ago, Vishera said:

And in addition to that there are the unstable drivers... 

I would assume this will improve as time goes by, but as you have said, not a good deal at the moment.

(I can get an Arc A770 for free currently through work, but I lack the rest of the critical parts, CPU and mobo which still make up for a sizable chunk of cash)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

What laptop is Linus daily driving? I hope it's running Arc!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue