We Downgraded our Computers – Switching to Intel Arc Pt. 1

AlexTheGreatish

am like a werewolf, ahah

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Having supported hundreds of people at this point disabling CSM in the WhyNotWin11 discord, it's not "janky". The only time I've ever seen anyone have an issue is if they have 4 primary partitions. Glad they showed that a reinstall wasn't needed but I hate that the video puts the "reinstall" thought in potential Intel ARC users' heads.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 hour ago, 8tg said:

“Buy an intel arc A770”

it’s been out of stock for a month 

It was restocked.

6 minutes ago, hagek7 said:

It was restocked.

Literally within minutes

17FF89D7-8B9A-4228-8292-907189A1C78A.thumb.jpeg.8b2ba418a08de5a06f2eb1544fac5b9b.jpeg

I should’ve gotten two, just because it would look cool in my pc 

1 hour ago, 8tg said:

Literally within minutes

17FF89D7-8B9A-4228-8292-907189A1C78A.thumb.jpeg.8b2ba418a08de5a06f2eb1544fac5b9b.jpeg

I should’ve gotten two, just because it would look cool in my pc 

Wait do you actually plan to buy it?

1 minute ago, hagek7 said:

Wait do you actually plan to buy it?

I just did, I have an A380 which I was playin with for a while and it’s solid, it plays GTA V in 1440p normal settings.

So I figure the A770 should be able to do it in 4K.

This means I can shelve my RTX 3070ti

Personally hope that Intel doesn't give up on Arc. The first generation is a bit meh so far. But has some promise.

At least they have some stuff going for them to a degree. And it is honestly an impressive feat to get to where they currently are without more issues. After all, modern graphics stuff needs support for a lot of features, and implementing that requires a lot of work. I am surprised that it doesn't have more glaring issues to be fair.

To a degree, I think Intel should have made the first generation a bit more developer focused. Smaller production runs, seeding it to developers at a reasonable price. Get some software rolling and developer feedback to steer development of the next gen. And then let the second generation become the consumer release.

Now, I am not saying that Intel hasn't sent out units to developers, but perhaps the investment on a market release should have been held back for a revised update on the silicon. As to give room to fix hardware level flaws. And they could have even lowered manufacturing costs a bit by sticking to an older manufacturing node for the first gen, even if that hurts peak performance and power efficiency, two things that software development doesn't strictly need as far as developing software support goes.

When the worst architectural and driver/software issues are worked out can one go to the second gen and focus on a more consumer oriented release.

So in the end.

I hope Intel at the very least makes a second generation and take their findings from this first generation into account and fix the major flaws.

If they should make a 3rd or 4th generation is however more debatable and dependent on how the second generation fairs.

If I were in Intel's position, I would make some developer program, where verified independent developers or software development studios can get a steep discount on the first gen cards. Since developers will help with software support a lot more in these early months, consumers generally won't do much more than complain that it crashes or misbehaves. (enthusiasts with good computer knowledge are an exception as far as consumers go)

I would love to see if you guys do the same with the Radeon 7000 series GPUs.

Made In Brazil 🇧🇷

Where did Linus purchase that de-pinning tool for the PSU cable? I've been trying to find a decent de-pinning tool myself!

1 hour ago, rcmaehl said:

Having supported hundreds of people at this point disabling CSM in the WhyNotWin11 discord, it's not "janky". The only time I've ever seen anyone have an issue is if they have 4 primary partitions. Glad they showed that a reinstall wasn't needed but I hate that the video puts the "reinstall" thought in potential Intel ARC users' heads.

Personally, I think people still using MBR are not going to be buying Intel GPUs...

I can think of only two reasons why you'd still have MBR: your system is so old you actually require MBR, in which case Intel is straight up incompatible, or you assembled your system back in the Windows XP days and have been holding on to the hardware all this time, in which case you're budget conscious and going to to go for something with more bang for the buck.

If your PC is recent and uses MBR, then that hurdle is entirely your past self placing it there for you to trip over.

I hope Linus considers a night of gaming on Linux under Intel Arc. It'll be illuminating to see the performance.

Failing that, Linus's curse with the OS will probs make for a fun video.

1 hour ago, Nystemy said:

The first generation is a bit meh so far

Name me a video card company that didn't make a naff offering their first go around

...or ever for that matter.

It's impressive that this late in the game another GPU company has decided to even try to compete. I look forward to a long and successful run for the Arc series.

..and then the inevitable reveal that Intel cripples them on AMD platforms.... 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Olgyd said:

I can think of only two reasons why you'd still have MBR: your system is so old you actually require MBR, in which case Intel is straight up incompatible, or you assembled your system back in the Windows XP days

As late as 2015-2016ish if you were building a PC "use MBR" would still be a very common recommendation as people still didn't really understand UEFI, were getting confused by it, mistakenly though it was the source of an untold number of issues and just recommended to "stick to the good old known quantity", even more so if you were expecting to run OSes other than Windows in dual boot.

Not to mention a lot of mobos kept CSM on as default much later than this - heck some only changed defaults less than a year ago in BIOS updates after Win11 made it a requirement.

I probably still wouldn't be dragging a system that long, but not quite "Windows XP days". 

My main system was changed to UEFI in 2019 along with an SSD change where I did a clean install, before that it was on MBR based on that...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I do have a question actually about the sponsor spot. I think in a WAN show Linus had said that he doesn't like calling the Vessi shoes waterPROOF because given enough time nothing is waterproof, just highly resistant. Is that just an error or has the opinion changed?

One question:  anyone have a link on that damn sexy 8x USB-C card?

7 minutes ago, Barj1974 said:

One question:  anyone have a link on that damn sexy 8x USB-C card?

Yes. Many links in fact.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

5 hours ago, 8tg said:

I just did, I have an A380 which I was playin with for a while and it’s solid, it plays GTA V in 1440p normal settings.

So I figure the A770 should be able to do it in 4K.

This means I can shelve my RTX 3070ti

Ok

57 minutes ago, jman3350 said:

I do have a question actually about the sponsor spot. I think in a WAN show Linus had said that he doesn't like calling the Vessi shoes waterPROOF because given enough time nothing is waterproof, just highly resistant. Is that just an error or has the opinion changed?

I think that's just a general criticism of all waterproof shoes which I guess is true but the shoes are still probably fine. Obviously the fact that a shoe might not be waterproof after a long amount of time isn't a detractor for most people, especially for me, I love my waterproof walking shoes and I thoroughly enjoy not having to worry about large puddles, small rivers or splashes getting my feet wet.

get the feeling they bugged the build somehow. again ending up with a bunch of bugs. some to be expected but others seem like other issues?

Love it, if an VR build can mess with your PC 😛

5 hours ago, Olgyd said:

I hope Linus considers a night of gaming on Linux under Intel Arc. It'll be illuminating to see the performance.

Failing that, Linus's curse with the OS will probs make for a fun video.

I think Linus isn't as interested in making a fun video as he is with avoiding desktop linux usage. It does make me wonder if as he originally talked about having Wendell or Anthony react/try to help him out it would lead to a less painful experience.

2 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I think that's just a general criticism of all waterproof shoes which I guess is true but the shoes are still probably fine. Obviously the fact that a shoe might not be waterproof after a long amount of time isn't a detractor for most people, especially for me, I love my waterproof walking shoes and I thoroughly enjoy not having to worry about large puddles, small rivers or splashes getting my feet wet.

Linus specifically here sates waterproof is stupid because it's not a thing. He mentions that Vessi's talking points say waterproof, and he always changes that to water-resistant. Only knew about it because him and Luke brought it up and all the hosts on all the channels said water-resistant until this time with Linus.

57 minutes ago, Ultraforce said:

Linus specifically here sates waterproof is stupid because it's not a thing. He mentions that Vessi's talking points say waterproof, and he always changes that to water-resistant. Only knew about it because him and Luke brought it up and all the hosts on all the channels said water-resistant until this time with Linus.

At the same time waterproof and water resistant are just semantics, I don't think they matter to most people. What's the purpose of the word waterproof if there's no use for the word. At the same time you could argue that nothing is water resistant either. Rubber, glue, materials degrade over time for various reasons, UV exposure, temperature changes, humidity etc. . Just because water can cut through rock over thousands of years doesn't mean something can't be waterproof even if it's not permanent. So I have no idea what he is trying to achieve with his argument, again just arguing about some stupid semantics no one cares about.

"Water proof" in my opinion is a term used for something that will resist long exposure to water, for example a watch that you can wear and use while swimming that has like ATM5 rating vs "water resistance" in a phone where it's ok if you drop it in some water for shorter periods of time. It's much easier to understand than trying to explain to anyone for example the difference between an atmosphere and IP rating.

23 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

At the same time waterproof and water resistant are just semantics, I don't think they matter to most people. What's the purpose of the word waterproof if there's no use for the word. At the same time you could argue that nothing is water resistant either. Rubber, glue, materials degrade over time for various reasons, UV exposure, temperature changes, humidity etc. . Just because water can cut through rock over thousands of years doesn't mean something can't be waterproof even if it's not permanent. So I have no idea what he is trying to achieve with his argument, again just arguing about some stupid semantics no one cares about.

"Water proof" in my opinion is a term used for something that will resist long exposure to water, for example a watch that you can wear and use while swimming that has like ATM5 rating vs "water resistance" in a phone where it's ok if you drop it in some water for shorter periods of time. It's much easier to understand than trying to explain to anyone for example the difference between an atmosphere and IP rating.

I don't necessarily disagree with you I think the reason it was being talked about is the contradiction in Linus having explicitly called out waterproof as being bad labelling and then using it.

"spending your money with an underdog company"
has an odd ring to it when talking about Intel. 

through out the computer industry history it seems that companies that had the gusto and the money WERE able to deliver first time ground breaking processors, sounds cards, gpus, etc.
detractors could say that in comparison the tech was much lower complexity, but then so was the general; knowledge and manufacturing abilities. 

i think Intel was perfectly capable of delivering a ground breaking or at least comparable GPU to that of AMD and NVIDIA in the present day
instead they are taking advantage of the societal paradigm shift where its OKAY to use things like Kickstarter to use willing early adapters as piggy banks and beta testers.

in my opinion Kickstarter was meant for actual underdogs.
but since then the model has been adopted and used by big software publishers, movie studios, and now one of the big 3 hardware manufacturers.

sentiments like this video encourage that.
if whales are willing to throw away money on things that don't work out of the gate, more power to them.
but the rest of tech enthusiasts should encouraged to raise dev funds for a giant like Intel.

there are multiples of ways that Intel could have spread out development through internal and partner means and release a polished product, but they didnt because they are banking on the customers and influencers to let them get away with it.