Company laptop to a personal laptop

JMarciii

So I have a company laptop. I can't plug in any pendrive, printer, external drive etc. Bitlocker is enabled (I could disable it)

I am not working there anymore. How can I convert it to be my personal laptop with working usb ports?

If I swap the SSD with a new one, can I install Windows and use the laptop as normal? Or formatting is enough?

What do you guys think are the USBs disabled in the BIOS?

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yes but shouldnt you ya know return the laptop?

Nope, they let me keep it. So you say after an OS reinstall it should work like normal?

9 minutes ago, JMarciii said:

Nope, they let me keep it. So you say after an OS reinstall it should work like normal?

Basically yes unless they put a bios password but sounds like you can get in the bios?

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Basically yes unless they put a bios password but sounds like you can get in the bios?

IDK, will check it and hope I can.

It depends what they're environment setup is. If they are using InTune and AutoPilot, and they haven't removed the serial from the system, the laptop will always be connected. So for instance at the OOBE when installing a fresh OS, and you connect it to WiFi, the laptop will automatically take you to the companies login page.

1 hour ago, JMarciii said:

It might be easier to ask them to remove it from device management, since it is no longer their machine.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Usually, if it comes from corporate IT department or service contractor, they are the ones to clear it for personal use. Which is to reset any BIOS passwords and format drive.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I agree with LogicalDrm, this is typically an IT department task. Even if you can do it, it releases you of any liability, that data was improperly removed.

From past experience, some perform a full format and re-install Windows (typically deploy the laptop original image), or simply remove the drives, and ask you to buy a new one and use that. The license for Windows originally came with the laptop remains. It is stoed in the UEFI, and Windows, once installed, will detect it, pick it up, and pass through the activation process once online (if it doesn't, check for Windows updates, and wait a few minutes and restart your system, that usually does the trick). Just be sure to install the exact same edition of Windows.

For example: if it came with Windows 10 Pro, you can install Windows 10 or 11 Pro.

If it came with WIndows 10 Home, you can install Windows 10 or 11 Home.

Thank you guys for the help. They did everything, I just got myself a new laptop!