Extremely bad temps after delid | i7 7700k

Eliel

Hi there. My system was running quite hot, over 85°C w/ stock freqs and voltages. I'm running it with a Deepcool Captain 240ex aio, ID Cooling Frost X25 thermal paste (10.5w/mk), and my beloved Z270E Asus Strix.

I delidded the CPU recently, because i tought that the problem was the intel's tooth paste, but it wasnt. After delidding, my temps idle went from 33°C to 40, and under load from 85 to 90/91. I really don't understand why, everything is OK, thermal paste evenly applied on the processor in both sides, tested relidded and w/o gluing the cpu back again and the same results... I know delidding with thermal paste is not the best, but it works, this thermal paste is better than AS5, MX4, and others. My AIO is working fine I think, pump is running at 2300rpm (ok), its mounted properly and i dont know what's happening! Help! i dont want to run it like it's rn, i'm about to explode. Ty!

3 minutes ago, Eliel said:

Hi there. My system was running quite hot, over 85°C w/ stock freqs and voltages. I'm running it with a Deepcool Captain 240ex aio, ID Cooling Frost X25 thermal paste (10.5w/mk), and my beloved Z270E Asus Strix.

I delidded the CPU recently, because i tought that the problem was the intel's tooth paste, but it wasnt. After delidding, my temps idle went from 33°C to 40, and under load from 85 to 90/91. I really don't understand why, everything is OK, thermal paste evenly applied on the processor in both sides, tested relidded and w/o gluing the cpu back again and the same results... I know delidding with thermal paste is not the best, but it works, this thermal paste is better than AS5, MX4, and others. My AIO is working fine I think, pump is running at 2300rpm (ok), its mounted properly and i dont know what's happening! Help! i dont want to run it like it's rn, i'm about to explode. Ty!

Why would you bother delidding a "checks watch" 6 year old cpu?

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

1 minute ago, ShawtyT30beTHICCC said:

Well, this CPU is well known as having bad temps due the intel's TIM, and having 85°C with a 240mm aio and good paste with STOCK freqs it's not pretty nice, it's my main system, i live in a country that it's hard to get the latest hardware, and i like my pc, i want the best for it.

1 minute ago, ShawtyT30beTHICCC said:

To make it run cooler. 7700Ks benefit a lot from a delid. 

For OP, I'm not terribly familiar with delidding myself, have only used chips delidded by the previous owner (6700K that went in a rig for a friend, and the 7980XE I use now). Always using liquid metal as it's both very good at transferring heat, and extremely thin so minimal space between die and IHS. Are you sure the paste isn't so thick it ends up leaving a taller layer of TIM? Or else residue on the chip itself under the IHS borders, spacing it slightly away from the die so bad mounting pressure. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Eliel said:

Well, this CPU is well known as having bad temps due the intel's TIM, and having 85°C with a 240mm aio and good paste with STOCK freqs it's not pretty nice, it's my main system, i live in a country that it's hard to get the latest hardware, and i like my pc, i want the best for it.

If you wanted the best for it you wouldn't have delidded it. If you want to drop temps, you are going to need something like thermal grizzly conductonaut. Although you can destroy your whole system if you mess that part up 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

1 minute ago, OhioYJ said:

The 7700k is a hot CPU. Don't delid unless you are going to use liquid metal. I have first hand experience with delidding and a 7700k, and tried thermal pastes, liquid metal is needed if you want improved temps.

Well, maybe i'll have to buy LM... Expensive AF, (at least here).

It's really sad, but i still want to know whats happening because the paste i used is NOT worst than the intel's tim, and i still have worse temps 🤧

1 minute ago, Zando_ said:

To make it run cooler. 7700Ks benefit a lot from a delid. 

For OP, I'm not terribly familiar with delidding myself, have only used chips delidded by the previous owner (6700K that went in a rig for a friend, and the 7980XE I use now). Always using liquid metal as it's both very good at transferring heat, and extremely thin so minimal space between die and IHS. Are you sure the paste isn't so thick it ends up leaving a taller layer of TIM? Or else residue on the chip itself under the IHS borders, spacing it slightly away from the die so bad mounting pressure. 

No residue, and i think that there's not a lot of distance between die and ihs, i used a relid tool, and also i mounted the cpu without glue on the socket, with no improvement 🥲

2 minutes ago, Eliel said:

It's really sad, but i still want to know whats happening because the paste i used is NOT worst than the intel's tim, and i still have worse temps 🤧

Let me guess. Brazil? Brazil is infamous for it's expensive af PC hardware

2 minutes ago, ShawtyT30beTHICCC said:

If you wanted the best for it you wouldn't have delidded it. If you want to drop temps, you are going to need something like thermal grizzly conductonaut. Although you can destroy your whole system if you mess that part up 

I want the best i can buy 🙃...

But i'll try liquid metal at the end of this month, (because it's when it will arrive if i buy it today).

Just now, ShawtyT30beTHICCC said:

Let me guess. Brazil? Brazil is infamous for it's expensive af PC hardware

Almost, Argentina.

The 2nd poorest country in America

Just now, Eliel said:

Almost, Argentina.

The 2nd poorest country in America

If I lived in one of those countries, I would use a steam deck lol. The prices are INSANE

2 minutes ago, Eliel said:

No residue, and i think that there's not a lot of distance between die and ihs, i used a relid tool, and also i mounted the cpu without glue on the socket, with no improvement 🥲

LM may just be the only stuff that works then 😞

I hate working with it because it can kill hardware if you aren't careful (it will form tiny balls and try to roll away), but if you're careful you'll be fine, CPU seals back up so it doesn't cause any trouble once the delid/re-TIM process is done. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 minutes ago, ShawtyT30beTHICCC said:

If I lived in one of those countries, I would use a steam deck lol. The prices are INSANE

Well, imagine; i earn 260 US dollars a month (a decent pay) and delidding with liquid metal will cost 33$ of those 260. IMAGINE...

5 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

LM may just be the only stuff that works then 😞

I hate working with it because it can kill hardware if you aren't careful (it will form tiny balls and try to roll away), but if you're careful you'll be fine, CPU seals back up so it doesn't cause any trouble once the delid/re-TIM process is done. 

I'll try to do my best, i'm carefull enough to do a decent work but i hope nothing happens 🥴

11 minutes ago, Eliel said:

I thought I had temps with paste between the die and IHS somewhere, maybe I do at home. I had this up on my webserver though:

delid7700k3.jpg

That's not changing clocks, are voltages, that's nearly a 20 C drop from the delid and liquid metal alone.  I stuck with the Conductonaut. In fact that CPU / system is still running over 4 years later, over at my in laws. My son uses it after school. Haven't needed to touch it or redo the liquid metal yet. No change in temps. 

4 minutes ago, Eliel said:

Well, imagine; i earn 260 US dollars a month (a decent pay) and delidding with liquid metal will cost 33$ of those 260. IMAGINE...

Bro..... That's insane

4 minutes ago, Eliel said:

I'll try to do my best, i'm carefull enough to do a decent work but i hope nothing happens 🥴

As I'm sure you're already aware there's very little under the IHS on the 7700k. Cover those few contacts with some nail polish or something, and call it a day. Here is my old 7700k, you can see the contacts coated to keep them protected:

delid7700k1.jpg

The ones on the outer perimeter will be outside. So not really a concern. I glued my CPU back up.

3 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

I thought I had temps with paste between the die and IHS somewhere, maybe I do at home. I had this up on my webserver though:

delid7700k3.jpg

That's not changing clocks, are voltages, that's nearly a 20 C drop from the delid and liquid metal alone.  I stuck with the Conductonaut. In fact that CPU / system is still running over 4 years later, over at my in laws. My son uses it after school. Haven't needed to touch it or redo the liquid metal yet. No change in temps. 

Yeah, i will need to apply LM...

Sad, but true if i want god thermals...

Do you think that my aio is performing ok? i know that using paste made the problem worse but, 85°C stock is still high

As I'm sure you're already aware there's very little under the IHS on the 7700k. Cover those few contacts with some nail polish or something, and call it a day. Here is my old 7700k, you can see the contacts coated to keep them protected:

delid7700k1.jpg

The ones on the outer perimeter will be outside. So not really a concern. I glued my CPU back up.

Yeah! i've watched a lot of videos already, i'll use nail polish too. Here's my i7 when i opened it up.

Screenshot_20221118-165916.png

7 minutes ago, Eliel said:

Yeah! i've watched a lot of videos already, i'll use nail polish too. Here's my i7 when i opened it up.

You'll still need the liquid metal in my opinion. However did you get the old silicone cleaned off good? That could be hold things apart further and not helping temps. Once the bond is broken it's hard to say what happens when you stick it back together. Safest bet is to clean the old stuff off if you didn't. 

You'll still need the liquid metal in my opinion. However did you get the old silicone cleaned off good? That could be hold things apart further and not helping temps. Once the bond is broken it's hard to say what happens when you stick it back together. Safest bet is to clean the old stuff off if you didn't. 

Yeah i did it and really well, no signals of glue were visible, and i used a thin layer when i resealed, sadge

if done right should get like a 30c drop...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

14 hours ago, Eliel said:

the paste i used is NOT worst than the intel's tim, and i still have worse temps 🤧

The paste you used is worse if it has pump out issues which the stock TIM is designed to to mitigate.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.