My Android phone is having strange WiFi problems

I have a Moto e 2020 and fro the past month my WiFi has been acting up where it will look like it is connected to a network but it will not have internet then when I go to the WiFi connect page I only see that one signal until I turn off WiFi then turn it back on and then I will see all the WiFi signals near me and I can connect again with no problems. But the problem will repeat itself randomly quickly after I have no clue what is wrong and it happened both before and after I rooted my phone but now that is is rooted if you know of a root only hardware logger you want me to run I can do that. I just want my WiFi to work right and it is only my phone that this happens to so it is a my phone phone problem also yes it does happen with every WiFi source I have tested it with. Also yes I did try a recovery wipe and no change.

Sounds like a problem with the wifi chipset in your phone. I know someone with a low end Samsung phone, its wireless performance is awful. It has a similar issue. No real fix unless there's a firmware update or upgrading your network/phone.  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD, 1TB PNY 1TB CS900, & 2TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

I had similar issues with a few phones, It only occurred with one access point and not the main wifi router.  Once I figured out which channels were causing it and manually set the router the issue went away for all devices.

Have you got another place you can go with wifi to test if it's the phone? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

I had similar issues with a few phones, It only occurred with one access point and not the main wifi router.  Once I figured out which channels were causing it and manually set the router the issue went away for all devices.

Have you got another place you can go with wifi to test if it's the phone? 

I have tested with using another phone as a hotspot and no change in effect

Hmmm, I have the moto e5 (2018) I have never really had wifi issues that haven't been fixed with router changes.  which generation moto e is it? 

I did hear a little while ago that the cheaper moto's had wifi issues, but I've never personally experienced it.  The issues I raised earlier are the only ones I've had.  How long have you had the phone?  Given that you have tried  a factory reset with no luck it is looking more and more like you have some dodgy hardware.

Sorry I can't be more help than that.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 11/20/2022 at 4:39 AM, mr moose said:

Hmmm, I have the moto e5 (2018) I have never really had wifi issues that haven't been fixed with router changes.  which generation moto e is it? 

I did hear a little while ago that the cheaper moto's had wifi issues, but I've never personally experienced it.  The issues I raised earlier are the only ones I've had.  How long have you had the phone?  Given that you have tried  a factory reset with no luck it is looking more and more like you have some dodgy hardware.

Sorry I can't be more help than that.

New test it seams to be 5GHz radio because 2.4Ghz does not drop only 5Ghz

12 hours ago, Linus No Beard said:

New test it seams to be 5GHz radio because 2.4Ghz does not drop only 5Ghz

Ahhh, that's interesting. I wonder if there is some 5Ghz interference in your area that is giving the phone some grief?

On 11/18/2022 at 10:37 AM, Linus No Beard said:

I have a Moto e 2020 and fro the past month my WiFi has been acting up where it will look like it is connected to a network but it will not have internet then when I go to the WiFi connect page I only see that one signal until I turn off WiFi then turn it back on and then I will see all the WiFi signals near me and I can connect again with no problems. But the problem will repeat itself randomly quickly after I have no clue what is wrong and it happened both before and after I rooted my phone but now that is is rooted if you know of a root only hardware logger you want me to run I can do that. I just want my WiFi to work right and it is only my phone that this happens to so it is a my phone phone problem also yes it does happen with every WiFi source I have tested it with. Also yes I did try a recovery wipe and no change.

If you have control over your router, try changing some settings and maybe setting your connection as static. What model router do you have? My MikroTik RB4011 had issues with my Apple devices and Wifi Wave2 when we were changing over to RouterOS 7. So it could be an issue with your router firmware.... definitely not unheard of here. I'm a fiber network engineer and it's never my first thought to think it's the device. It very well could be but I've had multiple CPE devices get firmware pushed to them (namely Netgear) that has had it's serious flaws and causes devices to have all kinds of driver issues, whether it be flooding the device with UDP packets and the firmware can't dump them fast enough and just freezes until the hardware is "restarted" so to speak, to the router just having issues with band steering or all kinds of other problems.

What made me think of the above is you said it did it before and after you rooted, so software wouldn't be where I would immediately look.

On 11/22/2022 at 3:41 AM, TheBeezNeez said:

If you have control over your router, try changing some settings and maybe setting your connection as static. What model router do you have? My MikroTik RB4011 had issues with my Apple devices and Wifi Wave2 when we were changing over to RouterOS 7. So it could be an issue with your router firmware.... definitely not unheard of here. I'm a fiber network engineer and it's never my first thought to think it's the device. It very well could be but I've had multiple CPE devices get firmware pushed to them (namely Netgear) that has had it's serious flaws and causes devices to have all kinds of driver issues, whether it be flooding the device with UDP packets and the firmware can't dump them fast enough and just freezes until the hardware is "restarted" so to speak, to the router just having issues with band steering or all kinds of other problems.

What made me think of the above is you said it did it before and after you rooted, so software wouldn't be where I would immediately look.

It is a TP-Link Archer C7 on the latest stock firmware no other devices on the network have a the same problem but I am the only one with an android device. If it means anything I have my phone using DHCP and my net mask is 255.255.0.0 on the 10.15.x.x subnet. I also have the DHCP DNS server set to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1.

But one thing there is an Asus WiFi repeater normally that uses the same SSID though the disconnect problem still happens on other networks and when the repeater is unplugged

Odd choice for a home network... 10.15.x subnet? How many devices or networks are you running? Usually the Archer will give you an interior DHCP table in the 192.168.x.x network so your mask can be quad-255. Also Google DNS is DNSSEC as well, so is OpenDNS.

Other than the odd config, have you tried different DNS or to reset and restore router settings? Don't make a backup of settings, just re-do them once reset. I would really just recommend DD-WRT. The C7 is a prime DD-WRT box.

15 hours ago, TheBeezNeez said:

Odd choice for a home network... 10.15.x subnet? How many devices or networks are you running? Usually the Archer will give you an interior DHCP table in the 192.168.x.x network so your mask can be quad-255. Also Google DNS is DNSSEC as well, so is OpenDNS.

Other than the odd config, have you tried different DNS or to reset and restore router settings? Don't make a backup of settings, just re-do them once reset. I would really just recommend DD-WRT. The C7 is a prime DD-WRT box.

I use the 10.15.x subnet because I have like to have my homelab stuff on 10.15.1.x and my main network on 10.15.0.x with home security on 10.15.3.x just for personal orginization.

I have tried multiple DNS servers and they dont really change anything so i just keep 1.1.1.1 I have done a router reset and no change I think it is a problem with the chip set in my phone as 2.4Ghz seams to work better it still does drop the same way but not as frequently