7 months on, my custom loop has been tainted. Using Corsair Red (yes, I know) and I'm trying to figure out the best solution

Hi all,

I thought I'd be the exception, alas here I am not being one and trying to figure out what to do.

I was cleaning the inside of my tower today, as I noticed the dust build up has increased as I've no longer kept my PC system on constantly due to a variety of reasons, and was shocked when I saw my CPU block. Look at how they massacred my boy.

Now, here is where I'm struggling. I'm in Canada. That means that getting stuff for a custom loop is far from easy. I've gone to sites like DazMode (they have the new EK system) but I'm trying to stay UNDER $100 for all of this. I figure I will also need new tubing, and that seems to have gone up in smoke. I figured when I built this last year that I would end up at least getting a year or so out of it before I had to deal with the whole cleaning process and the supply chain would be in order, but here we are 7 months in and I have that to deal with.

I've also got a 3080 XC3 video card that I absolutely cannot take apart, so getting in and scrubbing the fins is not really something I think would be a wise thing to do.

I was looking on amazon canada and they have a blitz part 2 (as I can use a 80/20 9% vinegar solution to clean the rads) but it won't arrive until approximately the end of December.

So a few questions:

* Do I need any of that or will a good rinse/flush be enough?

* I've heard people use a drop or two of dish soap, this does not seem like a good option to me but what do I know?

* If I do have to drop the money, would getting the new EK Cleaner/Super Flush be worth the $80 in total? I also know that no matter which way I slice it I'm going to be needing to purchase more tubing but again, that seems a challenge right now here.

* There's the Primo Chill cleaner but that seems to be for "new" systems and the reviews are.. so so. But then I looked back on the Corsair reviews, not a single critical review in the bunch.

Thanks!

PC Cooling build up.jpeg

Have you tried denatured alcohol?  You can find it in just about any drug store and most grocery stores too.  I have found that to clean my card, remove the card, find a clean bucket or something similar (the kitchen sink also works), pour some of the denatured alcohol into your pot, pan, sink, whatever, and put the card in it so that the fins are covered and let it soak for a while.  I also use a light, horsehair, brush to "paint" the fins in an effort to help clean them.

Once it is nice and clean, then take out the card, lay it on some paper towels or something similar and you can gently blow dry it clean or just let it air dry.  I don't use a cloth because cloth leaves behind strings caught in the card.  Must be  completely dry.

When completely dry, you can reinstall the card into the machine.

Take care and good luck

This method has worked for me for years without any problems.  Learned this some 30 years ago while maintaining computer systems for the Air Force while stationed for the 3rd Herd in Oklahoma City way back when.

48 minutes ago, andsoitgoes said:

Hi all,

I thought I'd be the exception, alas here I am not being one and trying to figure out what to do.

I was cleaning the inside of my tower today, as I noticed the dust build up has increased as I've no longer kept my PC system on constantly due to a variety of reasons, and was shocked when I saw my CPU block. Look at how they massacred my boy.

Now, here is where I'm struggling. I'm in Canada. That means that getting stuff for a custom loop is far from easy. I've gone to sites like DazMode (they have the new EK system) but I'm trying to stay UNDER $100 for all of this. I figure I will also need new tubing, and that seems to have gone up in smoke. I figured when I built this last year that I would end up at least getting a year or so out of it before I had to deal with the whole cleaning process and the supply chain would be in order, but here we are 7 months in and I have that to deal with.

I've also got a 3080 XC3 video card that I absolutely cannot take apart, so getting in and scrubbing the fins is not really something I think would be a wise thing to do.

I was looking on amazon canada and they have a blitz part 2 (as I can use a 80/20 9% vinegar solution to clean the rads) but it won't arrive until approximately the end of December.

So a few questions:

* Do I need any of that or will a good rinse/flush be enough?

* I've heard people use a drop or two of dish soap, this does not seem like a good option to me but what do I know?

* If I do have to drop the money, would getting the new EK Cleaner/Super Flush be worth the $80 in total? I also know that no matter which way I slice it I'm going to be needing to purchase more tubing but again, that seems a challenge right now here.

* There's the Primo Chill cleaner but that seems to be for "new" systems and the reviews are.. so so. But then I looked back on the Corsair reviews, not a single critical review in the bunch.

Thanks!

PC Cooling build up.jpeg

I am not sure I even see the issue? It doesn't look gunked up to me, is it flowing somewhat normally? 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

I assume this is refering to the dye that's accumulated between the acrylic and the jet plate no flow area. Inly cosmetic, and a non-issue. So nothing to fix, and also don't use alcohol on acrylic blocks, they can get cloudy or even crack.

if there's no thermal difference, i'll leave it until u wanna swap coolant

that's the time where u dismantle them & clean with distilled water + used tooth brush

might wanna flush yer rads again just to be sure there's no pigment sediments inside it

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini