Nvidia lied in a GOOD way - RTX 4080 Review

Nvidia’s GeForce RTX 4080 is the latest Ada Lovelace GPU, but it’s got significantly less hardware than the bigger 4090. Can it deliver impressive gaming performance, or is it full of more hot air?

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

110-150 MHz OC headroom?

I guess Nvidia - or at least the AIB partners - got tired of so called "pro gamers" returning their new cards within a day or two of purchasing. 

Does anyone else remembers the blown GTX 590 fiasco, not much unlike the Galaxy Note 7?!

"Ooh, gotta overclock!!!"

Anyhow, undervolting is the way to go, even if you've to sacrifice a bit of performance. 5% lower performance at 30-40% higher overall efficiency is a great trade-off. 

P.S I really like Nvidia's current 'reference' designs, which seem like an open-air / blower hybrid. Shame it's a pain to take apart.

A great product ruined by pricing, Nvidia really needs a kicking back to reality to get away from greed.

CPU: Ryzen 5900x | GPU: RTX 3090 FE | MB: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: 32gb Ballistix | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Sythe Fuma 2 | Case: Phanteks P600s | Storage: 2TB WD Black SN 750 & 1TB Sabrent Rocket | OS: Windows 11 Pro & Linux Mint

This thing is insultingly priced for the performance. I hope the shelves at Microcenter rot with this thing until it hits $699

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

24 minutes ago, SinistralFern23 said:

No mention of the ports available on the card? Also the video fails to mention the price increase from $699 to $1199. Come on guys!

They do reference the price but yeah I will say ports available(albeit an arguement could be made that focusing on ports restricts it to more of a Founders Edition review rather then a 4080 as a whole review).

And they should probably have put more attention on the fact that the price is ridiculous and a massive increase even from the previous 80 series.

I'm personally waiting for the 4060.. I'm currently undecided if I should go with 2060 12GB, or 3060 or higher.

I really hate not being able to Ray-Trace via Nvidia's iRay on my GTX 1060, due to Vram issues.

Only review that conveniently ignores the port selection and ludicrous?

11 hours ago, SinistralFern23 said:

No mention of the ports available on the card? Also the video fails to mention the price increase from $699 to $1199. Come on guys!

Why not compare it to the 3080 12GB which launched at 1200 USD or are we just picking cherries?

Fellas, comparing xx80 to another xx80 because they share the same last two digits is meaningless. It's entirely arbitrary. The only reason why you care is the marketing.

Compare price/performance or something that has actual significance.

We are officially doomed. The 4080 is sold out everywhere even at $1200. Morons

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

58 minutes ago, NastyFlytrap said:

It absolutely matters, because if they push up the price of the 80 class cards, thats going to pull the price of the rest of the stack with it.

Can you provide a rigorous definition what a "80" class card is? How about a "70" class card? It's arbitrary. Putting these card into imaginary tiers is meaningless.

I know what you're going to say, the people who used to buy 70 class cards should just buy the 60 class card, ok, what about the people who used to get the 50 class card? It doesnt go lower than that. Yes, technicly speaking it does, but anything below a 50 class card is UNACCEPTABLE for gaming. 

That's not what I'm trying to say at all. You don't compare the 4080 to the 3080 just because they share the same last two digits. You compare the 4080 to other comparatively priced products. It just so happens the 1200 dollar card has a name that has two last digits of 80. Would you be more happier if Nvidia named their 4080 16GB as a 4080 Ti, and then just release the 4080 12GB as the singular 4080? What if Nvidia no longer releases cards above a "60" and just shifts the entire product stack naming downwards, starting from 4010 to 4050? Would you be satisfied then? If so then you've succumb to arbitrary naming schemes.

"Classes" of cards is just a arbitrary grouping of cards you've established in your own mind.

Also, in terms of price to performance the 80 tier card is HORRIBLE value. More performance for same money or same performance for less money. Thats how it works.
Increasing both the price and the performance is nothing. Thats not improvement. 

Again, there is no meaning in saying "an 80 tier card" has horrible value. Value, in absolute terms, has no meaning. There must be a comparison to be made. For you to unequivocally call a product having horrible value discredits all the other users who may find value in such a product.

People like you who do not understand how things work boil my blood. This is the audience you fought to attract Linus. Im hope you're happy.
I think im going to leave before i get a third and probably permanent ban for being a dick to people.

I have no idea what you're trying to say. Maybe we're not even making claims over the same points. You seem really angry so yeah maybe stepping away from the keyboard is a good idea.

5 minutes ago, CyberneticTitan said:

Can you provide a rigorous definition what a "80" class card is? How about a "70" class card? It's arbitrary. Putting these card into imaginary tiers is meaningless.

That's not what I'm trying to say at all. You don't compare the 4080 to the 3080 just because they share the same last two digits. You compare the 4080 to other comparatively priced products. It just so happens the 1200 dollar card has a name that has two last digits of 80. Would you be more happier if Nvidia named their 4080 16GB as a 4080 Ti, and then just release the 4080 12GB as the singular 4080? What if Nvidia no longer releases cards above a "60" and just shifts the entire product stack naming downwards, starting from 4010 to 4050? Would you be satisfied then? If so then you've succumb to arbitrary naming schemes.

"Classes" of cards is just a arbitrary grouping of cards you've established in your own mind.

Again, there is no meaning in saying "an 80 tier card" has horrible value. Value, in absolute terms, has no meaning. There must be a comparison to be made. For you to unequivocally call a product having horrible value discredits all the other users who may find value in such a product.

I have no idea what you're trying to say. Maybe we're not even making claims over the same points. You seem really angry so yeah maybe stepping away from the keyboard is a good idea.

Who even cares about the name? This card is a royal scam for $1199

Just now, ShawtyT30beTHICCC said:

The user I originally quoted and many other users make the statement along the lines of "Nvidia is jacking up prices because the 4080 16GB is 1200 when the 3080 10GB was only $700". This is a poor argument to make. I'm not saying anything about the value proposition of the 4080.

It can't be a scam if it lives up to is advertised claims.

If it's to be used as a toy then its value can't be objectively measured. It's either a toy one wants and can afford, or isn't.

If it's an investment then by what criteria is a return measured? Only then could its value be assessed.

16 minutes ago, Caroline said:

There are no good ways to lie, or good lies. 

proxy-image.jpg.027ee96a27dc069ea4731485af4739d5.jpg

0ed.jpg

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/15/2022 at 9:02 AM, SinistralFern23 said:

No, the price decreased from $1300 to $1200.

On 11/16/2022 at 10:45 AM, ShawtyT30beTHICCC said:

And the 3080 wasn’t at $1300?