Replacing Case Fans, Which company makes the best?

Noob Builder

I have decided to replace my old case fans on my cooler master case, the front currently has 2 Cooler Master 200R RGB Fans, the top of my case has two cheap artic case fans, and the back exhaust is a stock fan to. Which company would make the best fans to replace these? 

System Specs:

i7-9700k at 5.00GHz 

3080TI

Noctua-NHD15

1000W EVGA PSU

Z390 Aorus Pro

I am aiming to improve my CPU temperature as it regularly reaches the high 90s. 

System specs? What are you aiming to improve?

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

System specs? What are you aiming to improve?

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

i7-9700k at 5.00GHz 

3080TI

Noctua-NHD15

1000W EVGA PSU

Z390 Aorus Pro

I am aiming to improve my CPU temperature as it regularly reaches the high 90s and my budget is probably around $500 located in the US and probably gonna shop at Micro Center or Amazon.

What Case? NH-D15 should easily be able to keep thermals in check on a 9700k.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

What Case? NH-D15 should easily be able to keep thermals in check on a 9700k.

Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ARGB

Just now, Noob Builder said:

Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ARGB

Do you have the Mesh on or the glass front panel?

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Noob Builder said:

mesh

You have about the best you can get then as the mesh front is one of the best in terms of air cooling. Changing fans likely wont net you much gain over the 200mm fans that come preinstalled. Chances are the Thermal paste is likely drying out. I would try swapping Thermal paste first.

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

You have about the best you can get then as the mesh front is one of the best in terms of air cooling. Changing fans likely wont net you much gain over the 200mm fans that come preinstalled. Chances are the Thermal paste is likely drying out. I would try swapping Thermal paste first.

Okay will do, I do still want to replace the artic fans I have with noctua ones though to match with my CPU cooler. To do that I also need to get a fan hub as right now my case fans are plugged into an aio port. How can I choose a good fan hub? or are they all the same?

2 minutes ago, Noob Builder said:

i7-9700k at 5.00GHz 

Noctua-NHD15

I am aiming to improve my CPU temperature as it regularly reaches the high 90s

Better fans might not help that much with temps. What rpm are case fans running at under load and what's the core voltage at under load?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

Better fans might not help that much with temps. What rpm are case fans running at under load and what's the core voltage at under load?

I cannot see as my case fans wont let me see the rpm, they are plugged into aio pump ports because I ran out of ports. 

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

unlesss the fan's RPM is are greater than 1300.
i have the tuf gaming case RGB fan their case fan MAX RPM is 1300. There is no good air circulation in those fan.

1 hour ago, Noob Builder said:

I cannot see as my case fans wont let me see the rpm, they are plugged into aio pump ports because I ran out of ports. 

They're probably running at 100% if plugged into the pump header. There should be 5 sys_fan headers which should be plenty for 5 case fans. Do that fan cables not reach?

What's the core voltage at under load?

2 hours ago, Noob Builder said:

To do that I also need to get a fan hub as right now my case fans are plugged into an aio port.

What’s the issue with them plugged into the Pump header?

I have 3 fans daisy chained onto one Pump header & they work fine. They also have the added benefit of also being governed by the GPU temperature which the regular Fan Header’s don’t. 

6 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Changing fans likely wont net you much gain over the 200mm fans that come preinstalled.

It does feel like that/look like that at first glance, but in practice it's quite the opposite. Those fans are anemic and extremely inferior to quality 140mm and even top 120mm. u have to scale all dimensions when u scale a fan, u can't only scale 2 and leave depth the same.

But additionally so much of the surface area is obstructed by full metal sheets where the fans mount, that those fans in that case, don't do anything at all, more than half of their effective surface area is not utilized (GamersNexus touched upon in in their newest review, where Lian Li made custom 160mm to combat this).

Now I completely agree it's more prudent to check other things first, but from my experience, setting up high performance fan in a better fan orientation setup will yield at least 5c if not more depending (on if the thermal paste is a culprit, or something else).

image.jpeg.957b8f6ef8cb1239691e1540fd7a7aaa.jpeg

6 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Better fans might not help that much with temps

Yes, it's not enough to just change fans, nor change them to how the case had them originally. They would have to be placed in the most optimal airflow pattern for that case+CPU cooler yes, or otherwise it would like there's not enough difference (if the best airflow fan placement isn't done).

@Noob BuilderHonestly the mounting as seen in pic above is so horrible for larger diameter fans, even 140mm fans would have their effective surface area reduced too much. The case is just designed in such a way that it only properly utilizes 120mm fans in the front. And considering u want a Noctua theme, there's a perfect tie-in xD as 3x Noctua a12x25 in the front would be a perfect fit (they continue to top fan on many different high quality reviews).

And with those 3x120 in front, all you need is 1x more fan as exhaust in the back (the same NF-A12x25 if u wanna match and money is not issue), or another cheaper Noctua, or an arctic you already have if u wanna lower the costs a bit, and that's it! You don't need any fans at the of the case.

6 hours ago, Dogzilla07 said:

It does feel like that/look like that at first glance, but in practice it's quite the opposite. Those fans are anemic and extremely inferior to quality 140mm and even top 120mm. u have to scale all dimensions when u scale a fan, u can't only scale 2 and leave depth the same.

But additionally so much of the surface area is obstructed by full metal sheets where the fans mount, that those fans in that case, don't do anything at all, more than half of their effective surface area is not utilized (GamersNexus touched upon in in their newest review, where Lian Li made custom 160mm to combat this).

Now I completely agree it's more prudent to check other things first, but from my experience, setting up high performance fan in a better fan orientation setup will yield at least 5c if not more depending (on if the thermal paste is a culprit, or something else).

image.jpeg.957b8f6ef8cb1239691e1540fd7a7aaa.jpeg

Yes, it's not enough to just change fans, nor change them to how the case had them originally. They would have to be placed in the most optimal airflow pattern for that case+CPU cooler yes, or otherwise it would like there's not enough difference (if the best airflow fan placement isn't done).

@Noob BuilderHonestly the mounting as seen in pic above is so horrible for larger diameter fans, even 140mm fans would have their effective surface area reduced too much. The case is just designed in such a way that it only properly utilizes 120mm fans in the front. And considering u want a Noctua theme, there's a perfect tie-in xD as 3x Noctua a12x25 in the front would be a perfect fit (they continue to top fan on many different high quality reviews).

And with those 3x120 in front, all you need is 1x more fan as exhaust in the back (the same NF-A12x25 if u wanna match and money is not issue), or another cheaper Noctua, or an arctic you already have if u wanna lower the costs a bit, and that's it! You don't need any fans at the of the case.

Thank you for the info, I planned on having 3 120mm fans in the front from noctua, 1 in the back and 2 on top as exhaust.

1 hour ago, Noob Builder said:

I planned on having 3 120mm fans in the front from noctua, 1 in the back and 2 on top as exhaust.

If u really want to have it look somewhat symmetrical, having 1x back and 1x top exhaust is fine (furthest to back of the case at top). But don't do a 2nd exhaust top in the middle, or closer to the front of the case.

7 hours ago, Noob Builder said:

2 on top as exhaust.

The top-front exhaust will steal air from the front fan before it gets to the CPU. You'll be wasting air & money 🤑

5 hours ago, Dogzilla07 said:

having 1x back and 1x top exhaust is fine (furthest to back of the case at top).

Do this instead.

21 hours ago, Noob Builder said:

I have decided to replace my old case fans on my cooler master case, the front currently has 2 Cooler Master 200R RGB Fans, the top of my case has two cheap artic case fans, and the back exhaust is a stock fan to. Which company would make the best fans to replace these? 

System Specs:

i7-9700k at 5.00GHz 

3080TI

Noctua-NHD15

1000W EVGA PSU

Z390 Aorus Pro

I like 120mm fans as they’re the most flexible and if you buy good ones, they can last nearly forever. I have 10 year old Noctuas that are still running like new. 

I like Noctua NF-A12, Silent Wing 4, and Phanteks T30. I own all of them except the Silent Wings 4. I have the Silent Wings 3, I’m sure they’re the same, but better. All are top notch fans. 

3x120 in the front may not make much difference in temps, but they may be quieter. I haven’t used those Cooler Master fans.  

500 dollar get a 13600k and a z690d4 

it will be the same perf as ur cpu running at 7.5ghz

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

On 11/12/2022 at 9:35 PM, Noob Builder said:

System Specs:

i7-9700k at 5.00GHz 

3080TI

Noctua-NHD15

1000W EVGA PSU

Z390 Aorus Pro

Some Phanteks T30s or Noctua A12x25s are in order

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface