How do Y-splitters work with PWM connectors on Motherboards?

amsga
Go to solution Solved by IkeaGnome,

They work by getting the PWM signal from the first fan that uses all 4 pins. After that it just assumes they're all the same speed and sends the same pwm speed to all the fans.

The only thing to be aware of with them is to not go over the amperage rating of that header on the motherboard

Hi All,

I am attempting to move from my current NZXT H710i to a new O11 Dynamic XL by the end of the year.

I notice that the O11 does not have any fans included and I am planning to get 3 Noctua NF-A12x25 as a side intake.

The problem I am facing now is that I am not sure if I can connect the Y-Splitters to the PWM connectors on my ASUS ROG Strix X570-F motherboad or not.

Likewise, is there a optimal configuration if I can do so?

I was thinking along the lines of two Y-Splitters, the first one connect to the motherboard and 1 fan, with the second connection connecting to the second Y-Spliiter and the remaining 2 fans.

Thanks for the help!

They work by getting the PWM signal from the first fan that uses all 4 pins. After that it just assumes they're all the same speed and sends the same pwm speed to all the fans.

The only thing to be aware of with them is to not go over the amperage rating of that header on the motherboard

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

51 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

power pwm gets power form the psu and tac and pwm from 1 fan from the mb and then all the other fans fallow that one fan.

it dose not need the voltage form the mb to work becuse its a consted 12v not mater the pwm% i think all it needs is pwm and probably ground but might just need pwm.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

12 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

power pwm gets power form the psu and tac and pwm from 1 fan from the mb and then all the other fans fallow that one fan.

it dose not need the voltage form the mb to work becuse its a consted 12v not mater the pwm% i think all it needs is pwm and probably ground but might just need pwm.

It needs the power too. With just power and ground they would spin at 100% all the time. PWM cuts power in pulses to make it spin at the speed you want. The power in a Y splitter comes from the motherboard.

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

So based on what you mentioned, the motherboard will take the readings off FAN 1 in my diagram and apply the relevant signals, assuming that FAN 2 and FAN 3 works in the same way?

Y-Splitter.png

6 hours ago, amsga said:

So based on what you mentioned, the motherboard will take the readings off FAN 1 in my diagram and apply the relevant signals, assuming that FAN 2 and FAN 3 works in the same way?

Y-Splitter.png

That’s correct. They’ll also show in bios and any fan control software as one fan

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

9 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

It needs the power too. With just power and ground they would spin at 100% all the time. PWM cuts power in pulses to make it spin at the speed you want. The power in a Y splitter comes from the motherboard.

no it dosent. the pwm is the pulse not the power. its just like argb.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

11 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

no it dosent. the pwm is the pulse not the power. its just like argb.

noctua_pin_configuration_5v_fans.png
Then why bother with pin 2 on PWM fans? What does it do? 

Supply power.
You’re trolling right?

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

noctua_pin_configuration_5v_fans.png
Then why bother with pin 2 on PWM fans? What does it do? 

Supply power.
You’re trolling right?

the black ground red 12v, yellow tac and blue pwm. but if you pull power from the psu you dont need power from the mb...

2 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

the black ground red 12v, yellow tac and blue pwm. but if you pull power from the psu you dont need power from the mb...

This plugs into the power supply where? there’s a difference between a Y splitter and a fan hub like a Corsair Commander. A splitter is a dumb connector with no outside control. 
413mRj0UFpL.jpg

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

10 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

This plugs into the power supply where? there’s a difference between a Y splitter and a fan hub like a Corsair Commander. A splitter is a dumb connector with no outside control. 
413mRj0UFpL.jpg

no shi!

14 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

13 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

413mRj0UFpL.jpg

I'm confused now.

I thought by plugging this onto the motherboard, the power would be supplied from the motherboard itself?

I thought for 3-pin versions, those only connect to the PSU directly?

1 minute ago, amsga said:

I'm confused now.

I thought by plugging this onto the motherboard, the power would be supplied from the motherboard itself?

I thought for 3-pin versions, those only connect to the PSU directly?

oh sorry to confuse you. there are 2 ways of splitting pwm. one is just a splitor cable that that hooks to the pwm header on the mb and uses it to controll the fans. another way is you get a power pwm hub witch pull power from the psu insted of mb so you could bypass the pwm mb header power limmit. but fans these days are low power anyway so most builds its not needed. in your case a pwm splitor is all thats needed.

PWM Fan Splitter Cable Hub 1 to 4 Power Adpater,Motherboard PMW 4-pin Fan  Sleeved Braided Y Splitter Internal Power Extension Cable for Computer  CPU/Case Fan 1x4 Converter - 10 inches Internal Power

Fan Hub 3-pin 4pin Nhiệt Độ Điều Khiển Tốc Độ Điều Khiển 10-kênh Pwm  Chassis Fan Hâm Mộ Hub Sata Cung Cấp Điện - Buy Fan Hub,Fan Hâm Mộ Máy Tính  Cáp,Cáp

On 11/11/2022 at 8:21 PM, thrasher_565 said:

5 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

no shi!

Then where did we start talking about y cable splitters getting power from the power supply?

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

7 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

Then where did we start talking about y cable splitters getting power from the power supply?

i was taking bout hubs obviously

4 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

i was taking bout hubs obviously

It wasn’t obvious and saying that from the start would have fixed a lot of confusion and finger pointing. I can’t read your mind. When you change the subject of the conversation without saying you are you’re the only one that knows you did this. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?