I couldn’t do my job without this. - PiKVM

James

What do you do if you’re away from your PC and can’t control it? You need an IP KVM – Meet the PiKVM, a compact alternative that costs 2 to 3 times less than traditional options.

Just now, emosun said:

isn't remote desktop software free?

Some remote desktop software is free but I know for Windows Remote Desktop is locked behind Windows 10 Pro.

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

That allows you to remote into your BIOS? Please do share that free software with the rest of us 😄

1 minute ago, Bad5ector said:

That allows you to remote into your BIOS? Please do share that free software with the rest of us 😄

ah. I guess I've never needed to access the bios on a computer that wasn't within traveling distance and didn't have somebody there who could face time the bios screen.

10 minutes ago, emosun said:

Remote desktop access requires the desktop to be fully operational without major issues.

The PiKVM allows a discrete controller to send inputs to the remote PC, including pressing the power button, or accessing the BIOS.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

10 minutes ago, emosun said:

ah. I guess I've never needed to access the bios on a computer that wasn't within traveling distance and didn't have somebody there who could face time the bios screen.

I guess you didn't watch the video. Since this is basically what Anthony was getting at. Can be great for those "Family and Friends" IT support guy... no more needing to take Granny through the BIOS. 

Personally, I just like the idea being able to access my system from a fully powered off state, without configuring WoL and to have access to stuff pre-Windows booting up is just the bee's knees IMO. I also like that it has the ability to emulate a USB drive, so you can mount images and do complete OS reinstalls remotely. Not something I could see me doing often, but heck it would be cool when I did.

1 minute ago, Bad5ector said:

I guess you didn't watch the video. Since this is basically what Anthony was getting at. Can be great for those "Family and Friends" IT support guy... no more needing to take Granny through the BIOS. 

oh yeah. somebody definitely probably could use it sure

Love the video, can't imagine what videos like that will do to the already super fragile Raspberry Pi market lol. It took 8 months for me to get a Pi Zero 2 W I got on backorder, which'll suck even more for people just now wanting to get one. 

Worst thing that can happen is people will want a RasPi, go to an authorized reseller, see they're out of stock, and then go to Ebay and buying one for $100+. 

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

Pretty cool to add IPMI functionality to a desktop...  I'm so looking into doing this for my HTPC that runs my VR system, so I can keep it headless (err head is the headset), but when I need to work on it, move it closer to the TV, find a KB and mouse and get in, since remote desktop takes over the session and not share... 

I feel like they should have done more research on this.

There are PCIe Addon cards as well. Some are even cheaper/were cheaper when available. The ASROCK PAUL is one example of such card. @ $261 CAD

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=PAUL#Manual

https://www.pc-canada.com/item/asrock-io-paul-low-profile-pcie-ipmi-card-add-in-card-aspeed-ast2500-brown-box/paul
spacer.png

This type of device is an option on most dell servers. First step I always take when deploying a new server is to setup the iDrac, that way I can just remote build from my desk. Nothing worse than standing in a freezing server room setting up a server.

Dont forget, you can use Parsec to game over the internet so all you need this for is to turn on your PC.

On 11/9/2022 at 7:20 PM, James said:

I made some subtitles translating this to spanish bc a lot of my friends watch this channel but struggle to understand, I'm gonna let the srt file here if it's of any use to LTT

LTT Anthony Spanish.srt

On 11/10/2022 at 7:36 AM, Dracarris said:

I like Anthony a lot but @geerlingguy did a way better and more relatable job of explaining it in his video.

I wouldn't say one is better or one is worse, they are made for different audiences. Anthony's video, like most LTT videos is a more consumer and light tinkers' focused video where as Jeff's is a more for industry professionals and hardcore enthusiasts.

I still don't quite get why I would want to spend hundreds of dollars on this, when I can just ssh into my computer. Or the computer of people I do tech support for, who all have Linux boxes, since I refuse to help them with anything else.

In very specific situation this is pretty cool and all, but I don't see how I could benefit from one personally.

13 hours ago, DeltaBruggemann said:

I wouldn't say one is better or one is worse, they are made for different audiences. Anthony's video, like most LTT videos is a more consumer and light tinkers' focused video where as Jeff's is a more for industry professionals and hardcore enthusiasts.

And I would say that the whole principle/setup was poorly explained in the LTT video, independent of audience. Instead of showing a wiring diagram they just showed product pages of HDMI splitters and called it a day. The way how the product works was explained was IMHO very hard to follow.

Does anyone know if I can hook this up to my Pi 3 model B. I really don't wanna spend the extra money on a new Pi of my old one will suffice and I can just buy the hat.

Do I need all the extra bells and whistles or can I just use the Pi4 that I already have without the HAT? I don't need to be able to turn the host PC on or off, and I don't need the HDMI pass through either, just need it for access to my server outside my network. Made the mistake of port forwarding RDP at one point so I'm trying to find an alternative that still lets me get passed UAC prompts. I don't mind buying the HAT if I have to but if don't have to why would I. 

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUO III 360 ARGB White Edition All-in-one AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Boosted to 4400MHz

Storage: 6 various HDDs and SSDs
Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix 3090
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL 
Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 1000w
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED 49"
Keyboard: Logitech G915 
Mouse: Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED
Headphones: Sennheiser RS 175

Mic: Blue Yeti

• 3 months later...

I tried the UK links, but neither had that pre-assembled model. Would you recommend anywhere else? 

I have a question. I’m running a triple monitor setup (two on DisplayPort, one hdmi). I have a extra usb c on my 6900xt that can send DisplayPort signal, my question is about it. Would it work if i plug the pikvm input with a usb c to hdmi adapter? (The hdmi side to the pikvm). In my case it would be pefect since my computer will stay in my room that is at my parents home while i’m at the university, i can control it form anywhere except when it crash, since the university is a few hours of drive away being able to reboot it by being away will be awesome. Thanks in advance for the resonse!